Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Bumper2Bumper accident :-(

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2004, 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumper2Bumper accident :-(

Just got rear ended by a Jeep Cherokee at what seemed a low speed. There doesn't appear to be damage to the trunk lid or Evo 7! tail lights. The driver's side trunk lid area seems to stick out just a tad (1/4 of an inch). I'll go in for an estimate tomorrow, got the guy's insurance. He was really cool about the whole thing. I'm guessing the rear bumper support took most of the damage. I looked under the carpet in the trunk and didn't see anything major. So ...

Any specific questions I should give the body shop?
Should I pursue diminishing value on the car?

I'm thankful I'm not hurt nor the other guy, it could've been a lot worse. I figure these things happen

My bad, just noticed the sticky ... mods please move into that thread. Thanks.

Last edited by Ookami; May 29, 2006 at 08:28 PM.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

Check the bumper supports and frame rails. They will definately take damage at light impacts. At a minimum you'll need a new bumper cover and absorber (pursue this with insurance) As for Diminished Value, I doubt you'll get far as it probly won't be too high of a repair cost.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

Ookami: As far as what you should ask the body-shop to check for, I can't help you, because I don't have an Evo, and have never had an accident in my Lancer. But, like "Cirrusly Evolvd" stated, I'd have them double check the frame rails to make sure they weren't tweaked at all.

BUT

I can tell you that you can and SHOULD pursue a diminished value payout. Your evo has now been officially in an accident, and because it's being reported to insurance, it's on RECORD. Anything like Carfax, VIN check, etc, etc will reveal your evo has been in a wreck. If I were buying your used repaired Evo, I'd run a carfax, and then ask for at least $1500 off the price you were asking for because of the accident.

Make sure his insurance pays you SOMETHING over the repair/rental car costs. When you go to sell your Evo, privately or to a dealer, they WILL give you less money because the car has been in an "accident". You are entitled to some cash for the diminished resale value of your evo!

- Jason
Old Oct 5, 2004, 11:42 PM
Evolving Member

I'm highly considering diminished value payout... I'll know tomorrow and discuss it with my guy at the body shop. If it's just a new bumper cover and absorber (I'm hoping!) ... if it's more ... I'll push for payout. I know once someone sees "accident" on a report they'll use it as a bargaining tool to drive the price of my car down even if it is just a minor accident like this one. I don't intend to sell my car as of now, but who knows in the future... Nissan Skyline in 2007 ... so I'm not naive.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 12:05 AM
Evolved Member

Man I've been hit twice already. I don't understand why
Old Oct 6, 2004, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lil'evil_evo
'cause your cars black
Old Oct 6, 2004, 12:38 AM

umm you live in vegas
Old Oct 6, 2004, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lil'evil_evo
brembos
Old Oct 6, 2004, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

Got an estimate, $1,083 .... so far... dunno the full extent until the bumper is off.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 08:41 AM

sorry to hear that ....hope it all goes well
Old Oct 6, 2004, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LancerOZ
BUT

I can tell you that you can and SHOULD pursue a diminished value payout. Your evo has now been officially in an accident, and because it's being reported to insurance, it's on RECORD. Anything like Carfax, VIN check, etc, etc will reveal your evo has been in a wreck. If I were buying your used repaired Evo, I'd run a carfax, and then ask for at least $1500 off the price you were asking for because of the accident.

Make sure his insurance pays you SOMETHING over the repair/rental car costs. When you go to sell your Evo, privately or to a dealer, they WILL give you less money because the car has been in an "accident". You are entitled to some cash for the diminished resale value of your evo!

- Jason
The accident will only be on Carfax if someone reports it. Usually it's the body shop. My rear-ending was just under $4000 but no report was ever made to Carfax so it will never show up on the VIN record. As for the diminished value of the car, that is questionable. Dealers get brand new cars all the time with some damage on them from the delivery process. If they repair the damage to "like new" they will most certainly sell it for full price and do not have to disclose any damages to the buyer.
I went back to my dealer after I had my Evo repaired and had the used-car buyer look it over. His quote was not affected by what repairs were done due to the fact it was impossible to tell my car had been damaged.