Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

05 gsr's turbo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2004, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 gsr's turbo

I don't know where i read it, but i think it was a few months ago.. i read that the increase in tq/hp would be a result of a bigger turbo. is this true? i know something is different with it. Will it be easier to mod? also will the drivetrain changes give more whp or decrease whp.

thanks

-burrito

p.s. i've done t3h search.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

its a 10.5 exhaust housing in the new turbo.
Old Oct 8, 2004, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perhaps its a slight hp/tq increase due to the turbo while still adhearing to that overprotecting fuel/time map. The difference between our turbo and the MR (not sure if all 05's will get it?) is the turbine housing has a 10.5 cm^2 nozzle area...affectively a bigger A/R ratio.

Secondly, the wastgate has been altered to promote better exhaust flow. The turbo is just as easy to mod...you may still change the wheels ( I believe the 18G is the biggest wheel you may place in a TD05 compressor housing...maybe you have to step up to a TD06??) and you may change the turbine shaft to a Titanium one for less rotational mass.

This is an interesting question...will the ACD create more of a parasitic power drain than the standard drivetrain design we have?? Well....only dyno and straight line numbers will tell
Old Oct 8, 2004, 01:29 PM

so thats why the 05 evo's msrp is higher than the 04s.. because of AYC and ACD and the bigger turbo...
Old Oct 8, 2004, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
btw..there is no AYC in any of the US Evo's. Unfortunatly....gas tank configuration prevents its installation back there(probably a few more reasons too)
Old Oct 8, 2004, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

but they took out the HIDs and the intercooler spray. theres also a front limited slip like the RS
Old Oct 18, 2004, 04:23 PM

ok, so i'm a n00b when it comes to the evo, but it seems to me if they changed the exhaust housing on the turbo, and gave it a better wastegate, then it seems as if the stock turbo should be able to make more whp with the same mods. does this sound right? will i have an easier time breaking 300whp with an 05 + mods?