Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

First Racetrack Day in EVO RS

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2004, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
350Z:
How did your car do vs. the nor-RS Evo's?
I have also been faster than all but 'Vettes/Porsche Turbos & Vipers at track days.
The advantage of AWD in twisties is exit speed. The Evo leaps out of the corner, altho turn it is a bit slower. I also find it easier to recover when the rear end gets "loose" than in a RWD car.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

CincyEvo -

I agree with all that. The 2 other EVO intermediate group drivers seemed to have somewhat better driving skills in their awd cars than I do, since I am new to tracking the EVO. But the best answer to your question is what a guy who runs another group that rents out racetracks for HPDE. He showed up unexpectedly with his Miata (which fell apart). He also owns an EVO VIII. I let him drive my RS in the advance group, which included several Radicals. He was very impressed with the front differential and the lower weight, and thinks the car is much easier to rotate on the track than his VIII. Now he is going out to buy a front diff for his car.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by g6civcx
Sidestepping is revmatching by stepping off the brake and blipping the throttle, then getting back on the brake. Correct?

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I have no issues heel-toeing the Evo, and I wear a US size 9 shoes.
heel to toe is no biggie and i wear size 12

glad that you are having fun tracking your car, theres nothing like it!
maybe one of this days you will join us here at socal at streets of willow
Old Oct 11, 2004, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Actually, Streets of Willow is my least favorite track. Not enough straights to open up a high hp car like the EVO. I really have fun at Big Willow and Buttonwillow. Can't wait to take the EVO to both. Have you ever wondered why the word "willow" appears in the names of so many Calif. racetracks? Thunderhill Raceway near Sacramento is in the town of "Willows, CA." Weird.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how did you get the wing on your RS? Did you have to buy someone else's wing?
Old Oct 11, 2004, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

350Z: The RS sounds great. If I were in the market today, it is what I would get, since my focus has always been performance over comfort. But, I do enjoy the air, stereo, power windows, keyless entry, etc. I'd be happy to lose the sunroof for a solid aluminum top tho.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

I don't have a wing on my RS. My avatar is a pic of a car I took at the racetrack months ago, long before I got my RS. I guess I should change it now.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:04 AM
JTB
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoRs
The evo is better for sidesteeping than heel-toeing the way the pedals are setup. Same results.. I perfer sidesteping anyway its much easier in my opinion..

I have always thought of "sidestepping" as a particularly aggressive way of launching a car which involves giving the car a reasonable amount of throttle with your foot on the clutch and then moving your foot sideways off the clutch, allowing it to spring up -- basically a really fast way of dumping the clutch.

I guess everyone has a different translation.

I am glad you enjoyed the RS at the track. I can definately appreciate the front LSD also. That is whay I have a Quaife on order. (from England)
Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

I find rev matching the downshifts very easy in the evo. I wear size 13 and use the part of my foot wear the big toe is for braking while using the part where my pinky toe is for the gas to rev the engine and match the speed the gear im going into is going to be at. Works perfect and the lightweight of the stock flywheel helps alot. I never really try using the heel and toe since my feet are so wide this method works well for me.

I thought sidestepping was just letting the clutch enggage by just "dropping it" instead of letting it out. Right?
Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by JTB
I have always thought of "sidestepping" as a particularly aggressive way of launching a car which involves giving the car a reasonable amount of throttle with your foot on the clutch and then moving your foot sideways off the clutch, allowing it to spring up -- basically a really fast way of dumping the clutch.

I guess everyone has a different translation.
That's how I think of it, too, but in this context, I think maybe he means instead of the traditional heel-toe, you blip the throttle with the side of your foot instead of the heel. This is how I used to do it on my E36 M3. I don't really have a problem in my Evo with heel-toe, and I only wear a size 8 1/2.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

does anybody know if there is a difference between A EVO RS with ACD in the Tarmac mode, and the 04 USDM RS as far as handling goes? does the ACD in Tarmac mode put more torque to the rear wheels that a 04 USDM RS?

What handles better on the Track 05 RS or 04 RS in Theory, until we see some reviews?
Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CincyEvo
But, I do enjoy the air, stereo, power windows, keyless entry, etc. I'd be happy to lose the sunroof for a solid aluminum top tho.
Every Evo has air. You can pick up a stock stereo for < 50 bucks.

d
Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

I thot air was an option on the RS.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zmeli
does anybody know if there is a difference between A EVO RS with ACD in the Tarmac mode, and the 04 USDM RS as far as handling goes? does the ACD in Tarmac mode put more torque to the rear wheels that a 04 USDM RS?

What handles better on the Track 05 RS or 04 RS in Theory, until we see some reviews?
I don't think anybody has really had a chance to flog on a US (non-AYC) ACD-equipped RS. Even if the handling is a tiny bit sharper, the 05 is up a little on weight. For the straight line this will surely be offset by the upgraded power output, but for dry cornering I think we have to wait and see...

d
Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CincyEvo
I thot air was an option on the RS.
That was the plan, but it didn't turn out that way. All US Evo8's have air.

d

Quick Reply: First Racetrack Day in EVO RS