Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My Evo got hit and the guy gave me false info---HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2004, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
If the police know he doesn't have insurance, go back and sign a ticket yourself against him for failure to insure. He has to go to court and will get a major fine. Call your insurance company and report the claim. You have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage that won't effect your rates at all. The summons will prove you qualify for this type of claim. Small claims court will get you the deductible, loss of use, missed work or whatever else you can claim as a loss.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was a victim of a hit and run the cops looked at my car and said sorry we really can't do much. Bill is right, most insurance companies wouldn't raise rates becuase of an accident that was not your fault even if they have to eat the cost. Thats why we pay them every month just in case shiite happens.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

my advice is for you to file a report claiming hit and run, do not go back to the same police station you went to, just file a report saying you got a hit and run and all you have is the license plate. when you get the police file number, forward that to your insurance company and your premium will not increase. Also if you take it to a body shop all you have to do is say "I do not want to pay my deductible can you work with me" most of the times, they will add an hour here or there to cover your deductible, if they won't do it, then just go to another shop. I have only paid a deductible on my first claim, after that I figured they can eat the cost and i haven't paid a deductible ever since.

good luck bro

Nebo
Old Oct 12, 2004, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

yeah same thing happened to me, there are provisions in the government so if the guy doesnt have insurance, he will have to pay a % out of every cheque to you, and not even
you but the government so that you get the money first. get a good lawyer and he'll help you especially seeing that the cops didn't verify any of the info.
B
Old Oct 12, 2004, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

I would let insurance handle it, especially since you weren't at fault, that's their purpose. Small claims court seems like it would just be a waste of time, with minimal results.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 01:15 PM

your uninsured motorist coverage should cover you for the dammages. I would leave it at that. if someone gives you false information, it's just like if they didn't give you information at all or didn't have insurance. small claims court seems like a waste of time for just the deductable. I would not worry about your rates going up either, you were not at fault. Your rates should only go up for at fault accidents or points on your license.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

have the po po give him a ticket for no insurance.

and going to his house and breaking his car is just wrong...you need to blow that **** up

good luck,

-Steve
Old Oct 12, 2004, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ouch man, that sucks, sorry to hear!

If it were me, I would immediately report it to my insurance company. Most insurance companies will do the footwork for you to recover from the responsible party. You will have to pay your deductible up front to get your car fixed, but when your insurance company recovers from the responsible party you will get it back (which unfortunately could be a year or longer.) Your rates should not go up because the accident was not your fault. Like someone else said, that's why we have insurance.

Small claims court could work too, but that is just way to much work than I would want to do. I would much rather have my insurance company do all the work for me instead.

Good luck, and I hope you get your car fixed!
Old Oct 12, 2004, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

yup, people will do that to you. A little old lady tried that one on me several years ago. Go to the police station, file a report of an accident and info you got. Go to a lawyer and tell them what happened. The lawyer will contact the insurance company on your behalf and get everything you need to get fixed right away. Your insurance wont go up...it wasn't your fault. The other guy, will get his insurance WAY up if he had any. If not, yours will cover it and will prosecute the guy who tried to pull one over on you.
Old Oct 12, 2004, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

I would let your insurance deal with it. Hopefully you have a witness?? If you decide to take him to small claims this might help:
http://www.nolopress.com/lawcenter/i...B9048DA9877F61
Old Oct 12, 2004, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nebolic
my advice is for you to file a report claiming hit and run, do not go back to the same police station you went to, just file a report saying you got a hit and run and all you have is the license plate. when you get the police file number, forward that to your insurance company and your premium will not increase. Also if you take it to a body shop all you have to do is say "I do not want to pay my deductible can you work with me" most of the times, they will add an hour here or there to cover your deductible, if they won't do it, then just go to another shop. I have only paid a deductible on my first claim, after that I figured they can eat the cost and i haven't paid a deductible ever since.

good luck bro

Nebo
^^^^now your just as bad as the dude that hit his car
Old Oct 12, 2004, 04:59 PM

Do not cede your rights to this guy because you're afraid that he may be a deadbeat.

1) Take him to small claims court for the full amount plus court costs.

2) Claim your default judgment as he will likely not show.

3a) Secure a Writ of Execution from the Court. The Sherriff can now pay a visit to the home of the offender and seize personal property if he continues to refuse to pay.

3b) Garnish his wages. You can take up to 25%. Note that if his wages are already being garnished by someone else, you will have to wait in line until the previous debt is satisfied. (Take a day off and follow him to work to find out who employs him.)

3c) Place a lien on the title of his home. You will be paid when he decides to refinance or sell the house.

3d) Mail him a check for $10. Wait for the canceled check, which will now hold his bank, branch, and account # of his checking and/or savings account. Levy the account; if there are funds available, this is by far the quickest way to get paid.

Go to court and collect.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

I wouldnt put up with that. I had a guy rear end me in my Hydai Scoupe many moons ago and I was too young to realize what was going on. He gave me a fake phone number and address to. I didnt call the police and just exchanged info. Luckily, there was no visible damage but I wanted to have the car checked out to make sure there was no damage under the bumper. Anyway, I wouldnt put up with that and definitely would go outta my way to make his life miserable since he went out of his way to give you false information. Who knows it may have been the same guy. That fxuxcxkxexr.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

You must have insurance in AR so sorry for not having any advice. Everything is in your favor so I'm sure all will work out. Sucks you have to roll a damaged car for something that was some ***'s fault
Old Oct 13, 2004, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

You'll have to go to a high end shop anyway, since the front fenders are aluminum, unless they actually replace the fender...