Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

muffler delete

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2004, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
muffler delete

hey what are your experiences with the 2.5 " buschur muffler delete pipe? does it connect right to the stock midpipe? how loud is it if i have stock dp, mp, and cat but just the muffler delete? how much gains can I expect? i hear the stock muffler is really restrictive..will i lose torque from the air flow being less restricted? what about if i add a downpipe but leave the midpipe? will i be able to replace the midpipe individually later? i have a good deal on the muffler delete and a downpipe this is why i ask..thanks guys
Old Oct 15, 2004, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

I have a mufflershop version (actually 2), it connects to the stock midpipe. It's not that loud, no idea on gains. you won't loose torque, that only happens in NA cars as the turbo provides sufficient backpressure. you will be able to replace the midpipe later.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

where can i find just a midpipe without a muffler? (catback minus muffler) later if i wanted to do that..
Old Oct 15, 2004, 12:39 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
any muffler shop? Just get one fabricated. it's cheap. Mine as well, just goto your local muffler shop and get a stainless steel straight pipe that runs from your CAT to all the way back without the muffler.

By the way, it's illegal for you not have your muffler. If you get caught, you'll likely get a ticket.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

best bet would be a mufflershop. I had my 3" dp-back made up for 100 bucks (including muffler-delete). 3" resonantors are about 80-90 bucks, so add that if you don't want drone (not too bad imo). You can see how a full 3" straightpiped exaust sounds here:

http://www.laredoperformance.com
Old Oct 15, 2004, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

am i going to see a benefit from the muffler delete pipe both in performance and sound? i want a nice sound almost like the srt-4 and i'd like to gain a few horses from taking off the stock muffler..
Old Oct 15, 2004, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

anybody? i really wanna know if its' worth it..i'm gonna get a downpipe and the muffler delete for only 150 bucks..but if it's not gonna have good sound and at least a little power gains i will just save for a full system (which will take a long time lol)
Old Oct 15, 2004, 03:55 PM

I bought one about two months ago and like it very much. Easy install, looks very stock / normal and fits perfectly. The sound is more agressive but in no way obnoxious - in fact I'd like it to be a little louder.

I was amazed at how heavy the stock muffler is. I'm sure the weight saving is better for handling but that's getting a little thin on the +ve's. As far as performance is concerned it's difficult to say. It certainly hasn't harmed in any way and the car 'feels' a little perkier.

I would very much recomend it. Buy it for the sound and weight saving if nothing else.

- Nellie
Old Oct 15, 2004, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

bump for more info is the tip bigger that the factory one? How big is it, 3" 4"?
Old Oct 15, 2004, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Nellie
I bought one about two months ago and like it very much. Easy install, looks very stock / normal and fits perfectly. The sound is more agressive but in no way obnoxious - in fact I'd like it to be a little louder.

I was amazed at how heavy the stock muffler is. I'm sure the weight saving is better for handling but that's getting a little thin on the +ve's. As far as performance is concerned it's difficult to say. It certainly hasn't harmed in any way and the car 'feels' a little perkier.

I would very much recomend it. Buy it for the sound and weight saving if nothing else.

- Nellie
do you have the 2.5 or 3 " muffler delete?
Old Oct 15, 2004, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

also...i feel like if i get a downpipe and muffler delete..that having the stock midpipe will still be restricting too much flow, in turn making it pointless to buy the dp and muffler delete for 150 dollars..am i incorrect here? will I still see gains even tho the midpipe is stock?
Old Oct 15, 2004, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by redevo8driver
also...i feel like if i get a downpipe and muffler delete..that having the stock midpipe will still be restricting too much flow, in turn making it pointless to buy the dp and muffler delete for 150 dollars..am i incorrect here? will I still see gains even tho the midpipe is stock?
Obviously you will have a restriction if the downpipe is 3", if it is just a 2.5" then it is the same size as stock and should not cause any kind of restriction. I just got the Buschur Racing 2.5" muffler delete and I love how it sounds. I thought the stock one was way to quiet and this one seems to be about right for me. It is slightly more aggressive and adds a bit of horsepower at the top but I think you lose a little at the bottom end. I am taking my car to the dyno on the 23rd and am going to try and switch between the stock one and the buschur to see if there is a difference. For the price I paid I feel it was worth it. Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Not running a muffler is not illegal, not unless that is some local law. All SRT-4's come from the factory with no mufflers.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mufflers add unecessary weight, and they have no benefits over delete pipes whatsoever on a "turbo car." NA is a totally diff. story where the car requires some back pressure...

If you're into looks, I guess, verses worrying about performance, I'd get a muffler system
Old Oct 16, 2004, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Oct 16, 2004, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Why bump? Everyones answered all your questions and I even posted a vid?

Quick Reply: muffler delete