Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Daily Driver..When does modding become pointless..

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2004, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daily Driver..When does modding become pointless..

Well.. I use my car for trips, daily driving, track racing, streeting..rallying, snow driving.. Everything. Im almost at 30 k.. I have the option now in the next 6mo, to be near Boost Solutions, TurboTrix, and Buschur due to my travelling. I want to do Cams, Cam Gears, Injectors,Fuel Pump, ARP Head Studs, Conrod Bolts, Utech with Wideband. At what point, or how many miles do you think its silly to do big engine work. I mean.. ill be at around 50k miles then, and i dont want to put time and money into an engine that im not sure will last much longer.. Im assuming that these impecable engines can go forever.. but i read about these Japs replacing whole engines at 30k miles and it just causes me to wonder.. how many miles before i should treat my engine like a granny and drop the modding. Should i save and wait till that Skyline R35 Comes.. V8 Twin Turbo from what ive read....ohh yeaaa
Old Oct 19, 2004, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

well i had my GSX to 90,000 before i sold it for the evo, it was still running strong, a friend of mine started to have probs around 70,000 with his- but he was kinda dumb w/his car...these motors are well built and if u keep up with oil changes and don't beat the hell outta ur car (modded or not) it should be fine! Mod away!
Old Oct 19, 2004, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

well there is a point of diminished return for mods.... its just a question of when you decide how much gain is not worth the money.... probably the first couple bolt-on's will return the greatest bang for the buck...
Old Oct 19, 2004, 07:21 AM

I have 145k on my '90 4g63. Fresh oil and proper maintenence will ensure your motor will last just as long as mine.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Speaking from experience, I've had several AWD DSM's since 1990 as my daily driver. Matter of fact that is all I have used as my daily drivers and let me tell you, as long as you maintain your basic upkeep, 2.5k-3k mile oil changes, good octane fuel, keep an eye on your spark plugs often, and give your turbo a decent amount of cooldown time before shutdown after pounding the heck out of it ..........these engines are virtually indestructable. 50k miles like you are anticipating is nothing for these engines if they have been maintained properly. I've pulled out rod and main bearings, cams, pistons and rings with well over 100k hard driven miles and to my amazement they were in excellent condition. My whole point to this is that there is a difference between an engine that has been BEATEN on and an engine that has been driven HARD. I have been driving DSM's REAL HARD for over 10 years, several 11 sec. daily drivers with no problems whatsoever as far as engine failure, or mechanical failure. And I'm talking 20g,fmic, big injectors,haltech,vpc,gcc,T3T4, internal,external gates....you name it, I've probably had it at one point or another and as daily drivers. So you dont need to worry about the mileage if you've been taking good care of it. And the EVO motor for some reason I guess newer design seems to be flowing even better and holding up to high HP so far. My evo made 386whp on pump/440whp on race/pump mix with just 5 pulls on the dyno, and now has 28k miles with no problems. Others like a member REZ90 made OVER 420whp with a stage4 Buschur and a TURBOTRIX turbo kit on pump gas, and that is totally AWESOME for a daily driver. There are also several other guys out there making good or better numbers, and just dont bother with the track or the dyno like myself, I just want the ultimate street killer that I can drive everysingle day and know that you better have something good under the hood if you wanna play with the 4BANGR If you're thinking of modding GO BUSCHUR RACING,or TURBOTRIX do it ONCE, DO IT RIGHT and enjoy. And as always GOD BLESS
Old Oct 19, 2004, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

If you want to mod your Evo, but you're not looking to set any records, and it's just as important to you to be as reliable as possible! Here's how to get long life out of a modified 4g63:

Do's...

1.Maintain a perfect maintenance record! Extra maintenance is better than not enough!
2.Retain the stock turbo.
3.Keep engine mods to a minimum (cams, cam gears, head stds etc.)
4.Get a turbo timer
5.Get an Oil Catch Can
6.Get the proper gauges to montior your mods... Boost, EGT, Oil pressure etc...

Don'ts...

1.Let the boost monster get you! No more than 21 psi. If you can't keep from turning it up, don't get a boost controller! You can get plenty of power from 21 psi!!!!
2.Drop the clutch at 5000 RPM's to get the jump on that Vette next to you at the stoplight.
3.Let your non-evo owning friends drive!...scratch that... Don't let any friends drive!
4.Let just any moron do your service. ie...(Did Lube Alot really use full sythetic as instructed?)

Lastly...

5. Don't stop smiling, you're driving one of the best performing, most dependable high-performance cars in the World, Period!

Last edited by v8killer; Oct 19, 2004 at 09:47 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by v8killer
If you want to mod your Evo, but you're not looking to set any records, and it's just as important to you to be as reliable as possible! Here's how to get long life out of a modified and 4g63:

Do's

1.Maintain a perfect maintenance record! Extra maintenance is better than not enough!
2.Retain the stock turbo.
3.Keep engine mods to a minimum (cams, cam gears, head stds etc.)
4.Get a turbo timer
5.Get an Oil Catch Can
6.Get the proper gauges to montior your mods... Boost, EGT, Oil pressure etc...

Don't;

1.Let the boost monster get you! No more than 21 psi. If you can't keep from turning it up, don't get a boost controller! You can get plenty of power from 21 psi!!!!
2.Drop the clutch at 5000 RPM's to get the jump on that Vette next to you at the stoplight.
3.Let your non-evo owning friends drive!...scratch that... Don't let any friends drive!
4.Let just any moron do your service. (Did Lube Alot really use full sythetic as instructed?)

Lastly...

5. Don't stop smiling, you're driving one of the best performing, most dependable high-performance cars in the World! Period!
AGREED
Old Oct 19, 2004, 11:25 AM

Getting EVO MR for MSRP, will only be adding Perrin Oil Catch Can and HKS Type 1 Turbo Timer. Will keep everything else stock for a while, want to keep warranty and maintenance up to date.
In the future I may add cat-back system, maybe HKS Carbo-Ti, Magnaflow Ti, Greddy Ti, or a JIC Ti system.
Will also update intake with either HKS Racing/Super Mega Flow Suction or K&N Typhoon.
Keep stock intercooler and turbo.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

i also agree with v8killer
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

excellent.. thank you
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been driving 4g63 powered cars for the past 6 years. These motors are strong and will last as long as you take care of them. Do your oil changes every 3k miles using Mobil1, and make sure you change your timing belt, tensioner, and balance shaft belt every 60k miles and your motor will live a long and happy life.

After heavily modding and parting out both my 1g and 2g DSMs, I've grown to appreciate OEM fit, finish, and reliability. I've taken what I learned from my DSMs and carried it over to my EVO. That is why I don't plan on going crazy modding the EVO just to keep things simple and reliable. The EVO is a really good performer out of the box already and w/ basic mods, it's even better. I guess having to deal w/ Cali smog ****'s has tamed my modding habits a bit.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:30 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
when you can't hear yourself think anymore.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

yer welcome.