Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is This Info Confirmed?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2002, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I serioully doubt that the STi will have electronic diffs for the US.

by the way how you figure that the WRX tranny sucks. I have been driving one for almost 2 years and it still does fine.

Cheers

Nick
Old Nov 20, 2002, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally posted by titsataki
by the way how you figure that the WRX tranny sucks. I have been driving one for almost 2 years and it still does fine.
You are not making enough power then!!

Mr. AWD
Old Nov 20, 2002, 01:35 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Ask "BADWRX" about his WRX tranny. Not to mention Subaru is pretty much notorious for having glass transmissions. One of our old mods/members drives a '02 2.5RS (AT) and his reverse pretty much blew up and dump tranny fluid all over the dealership's floor when he brought it in for repairs.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 01:39 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
titsataki, have you ever heard your gears grind. You should never hear that!

The trans was so bad that we put group N tranny and engine mount to prevent the rocking of the engine and trans. The trans refuses to go into reverse. Have to rev match to downshift to first and many other pet pevs. Horrible! Wound't even think about powershift that pos. Even pop out of first gear once after a launch!

Try shifting like a pro once and tell me how the trans feel. If you granny shift keep it at 227hp you should have a problem.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by gtr

Try shifting like a pro once and tell me how the trans feel. If you granny shift keep it at 227hp you should have a problem.
hahaha thats funny yeah a friend of mine drives a 02 sti with some good mods making it around 300hp and he got bigger gearing for his box cos he kept blowing his standard one up and what do you know? he blew his new box up too but then I blew my old 6.5 T.M.E box 3 times in 2years. first of I blew 1st gear which I had to rebuild the whole box then I blew my 5th gear syncro (dont ask me how that happened) then I blew my 4th gear syncro a month later. I ended up replacing the syncro's with better stronger ones and 3 months later sold it to get my 7 and luckly nothing has happened since and it does 11.5's. "knock on wood"
Old Nov 20, 2002, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by gtr

Hey Mitsubishi, remmeber most buyer are WRC fans and ppl from playstation.
1. We don't want leather b/c that'll take away the whole point on those grippy recarios.
2. Give us optional AYC and ACD standrad. Make it an expensive option if cost is an issue.
3. I don't like sunroof but demand is high.
4. Small spoiler sucks. Most of us want a functional.
I totaly agree with you on all these points. Boy Mitsubishi, I hope you get this launch right.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

What the heck is this all about??

Mitsubishi Evolution VIII unveiled!

...The Evo VIII (the official name has yet to be decided) will continue with the Evo VII's 2.0-liter turbocharged inline-4 (known as the 4G63), but the engine has been massaged to provide better throttle response and be ultimately capable of generating more horsepower. When the car first goes on sale in January, the 4G63 will produce about 275 bhp, but according to inside sources, it's now easily capable of pumping out 300-plus bhp. This, no doubt, in preparation to counter a potential high-horsepower Subaru WRX STi, which is scheduled to appear sometime next year.

The Evo VIII will also come equipped with a 6-speed manual transmission and an advanced all-wheel-drive system similar to the one found in the World Rally Championship car. Prices have yet to be finalized, but we're expecting something in the neighborhood of $28,000.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/news/amp...?ArticleID=361
Old Nov 20, 2002, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Could this be true or are they really really misinformed???
Old Nov 20, 2002, 02:56 PM
In Timeout

Originally posted by gtr
The last i hear about the AYC is no comments form the rep. He claims that they are still testing for longevity. They are worried about the 3yr warrenty. What a piece of crap if they are uncertain that the ACD could handle 3yr/36kmi. Same goes for the Six speed but i'd rather have the proven 5 speed for now and let the japanese test out if the 6speed to see if it's strong enough.

900 units. Probably at lease 1 per dealership. Oh well, i'm number 1 anyways. If it doesn't have ACD and or AYC and the subaru has electronic diffs, more hp at lower boost, i'd be thinking about driving for a couple of months till the STI comes out. I know thw WRX trans suck and that really give me a distrust in subarus. I hear the 6-speed on the STI is very strong though.
you be stupid if you buy a evo then trade it couple month later you 'll loose at least 25 percnet of yoru money

there are not point to buy a evo if you inted to drive a sti

i recommand you wait for both car to come out then jump in which eva one is good 4 u
Old Nov 20, 2002, 03:28 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

R&T article goes for JDM specs.

you be stupid if you buy a evo then trade it couple month later you 'll loose at least 25
Believe it or not with the dealer markup i'll probably make money on the evo especially if i sell to rich friends in California. They have it bad there.

Besides I was driving a modded WRX the whole summer and i'd bet the sti feels similar with the aftermarket suspention on the rex. Well maybe not if they decide to do the active diffs.

I wanted an evo initially because it's more advance, that's why i hold off on the rex. And now if mitsubishi decide to go back into the stone age and subaru come forth it's a hard decision on my part.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

Spend the $45 and get a high flow air cleaner, 270HP @ flywheel!there happy?
Old Nov 20, 2002, 07:17 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

I'm more thinking like downpipe, manual boost controller and 315hp
Old Nov 20, 2002, 08:08 PM

by down pipe, you mean External Wasty? I hope so I love externals, they kick a$$!!!
Old Nov 20, 2002, 09:35 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Downpipe is the pipe that is coming out of the turbos. Usually the first cat goes there and it robs tons of powers. Probably a 4inch catless would be perfect. Faster spoolup and hp like mad when exhaust is freed. I'm assuming the the rest fo the turboback is hi-flo. Pump to 17 psi's and weeeeee.

Last edited by gtr; Nov 20, 2002 at 09:37 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2002, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm, does it still pass emmissions or would you have to change it back for that one day every 2 years?