Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Keep Evolution or Trade for Evo MR?
Keep the Evolution and the heck with trading For Evo MR
75.27%
Screw The Evo I'd Rather Get the Evo MR go and trade
24.73%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

my opinion on the mr

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2004 | 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

Its a tough call, but I would wait for the "Official" MR specs to come out before you do anything. The only reason I would dump my Evo for an MR is because it is really 300lbs lighter (which I doubt), the 6spd tranny and for the climate control (if it really has that of course). Of course the biggest factor is price. If it comes out for $32K then I would do it. If it comes out at 35k-40K that is just too much to pay for in my opinion. So I would wait and see.
Old Jun 4, 2004 | 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by chinalfr
I'll keep my 03 evo until mits ready to bring an evo with ACD & AYC on it. I don't care about forged rim, aluminium roof and bilstein strut/shock. I can get all these aftermarket and performed better than MR.
Explain to me how you're going to get an "aftermarket aluminum roof"? lol
Old Jun 4, 2004 | 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

that's a tough one....

I think the really tough question comes into play with a new buyer trying to decide between the Evo and the Evo MR! Most will agree trading in your Evo for the MR may not make alot of sense, but a new buyer will face a difficult decision based on the price settings of the MR when it is released, and that is the key.

If I was a new buyer and could get the MR out the door for under 35k, then I would be taking home the MR for sure. Over 35k and that lower priced (regular just doesn't seem fit here ) regular Evo looks better.
Old Jun 4, 2004 | 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Most of us really streched to afford the Evo and with the MR, it will price most of us out. If you trade, you will not only lose on the trade, but add the extra money for the MR and it becomes a waste. The MR will prolly be 35K, plus taxes, etc which will be close to 40K out the door. And don't forget the insane markups we saw. The MR will be the new baby and dealers, if lucky enough to get one, will keep a high markup at first and prolly no test drives.

I'm keeping mine. I don't like to throw money away.
Old Jun 4, 2004 | 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Hold on to the Evo for now. The MR is nice but it's not worth taking the hit on the trade to get the ACD and tranny. Pay off your Evo so you're not underwater on the loan, and in 2007 when the GT-R is rumored to be released you'll have lots of tasty options in the awd turbo arena, including the Evo, whatever generation happens to be out by then. Evo X, anyone?

Also, the aluminum roof.. according to what I read it's only 6 lbs lighter than the steel one? I'm all for saving weight but in hail prone Michigan I think I'll forgo the aluminum roof...

Last edited by osunick; Jun 4, 2004 at 09:22 AM.
Old Jun 4, 2004 | 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

keep the EVO. ACD is pointless unless on the track. The MR is for those who track their car constantly or the person who needs the newest thing out. Ask the STI guys how many times they use their ACD. PROBAbly NEVER. I know WRX owners with mods that would slaughter STIs and EVOs. Now if the car had the AYC when it came over that would make me want to trade mine in. But it will not. Just mod the EVO. To me they are all the same a Second quicker here a second there, nothing you would notice in daily driving. when the skyline makes it over here . Thats what i am waiting for
Old Jun 4, 2004 | 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Keep with your EVO, do some mods. When the MR arrives ask for a test drive and see if there is so much difference. If the MR is A LOT faster and fun to drive trade your car.
Old Jun 4, 2004 | 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Just get the MR badges and pretend to everyone that you have one, heh.
Old Jun 4, 2004 | 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

keep the evo. and go to the vegas meets.
Old Jun 4, 2004 | 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

I would keep your o3 evo. just say you paid 27k for your evo and the asking price for the mr is 38-40k with mark up. Thats 13,000 dollars worth of upgrades that would blow any mr out the door including majority of the exotics out there including a lot of turbod hondas. The question that I should of asked is will you be road racing your car a lot. If the question is no the MR new drive system is not doing you any good. I believe the majority of all evo user here use there car to romp around town and knowing they have one of the best vehicles in the world. I say wait and see what the next evo 9 or 10 will surprise us. just my .02 cents.
Old Jun 4, 2004 | 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Plus why get basically the same car. Maybe if a body change was made it would be more appealing. But try explaining to your family why you traded your perfectly fine Evo for a new one with 1 extra gear, center diff control and new struts that looks identical to your Evo.
Old Jun 4, 2004 | 10:57 AM

Better to trade JDM Lancer Evolution MR
Old Jun 4, 2004 | 11:01 AM
Account Disabled

well considering MR's just about 3 seconds faster in Top gear Road test with Stigg (Tiff) than the FQ300 EVO. you know the WRX STI WRX WR1 was only a second faster then the STI.

Aluminum Roof, 40 pounds lighter with Active Yaw Control! I think it's worth a trade, since Aluminum roof and AYC is hard to get aftermarket and I'm sure it'll cost a lot more.

Then again, it's costly to repair those and I'm sure you could get the same result with the money you save with the money you loose with Trade in and Dealer Mark ups.

So my vote is "no" it's not worth it. Instead of YAW control, you could get Tein inboard control coilovers. You could get a Vishunu stage 0 +1 and go faster than MR for around $3000. Loosing weight isn't much of a problem after the Vishnu kit.

That's ONLY if you're out of the factory warranty.
Old Jun 4, 2004 | 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by plokivos
well considering MR's just about 3 seconds faster in Top gear Road test with Stigg (Tiff) than the FQ300 EVO. you know the WRX STI WRX WR1 was only a second faster then the STI.

Aluminum Roof, 40 pounds lighter with Active Yaw Control! I think it's worth a trade, since Aluminum roof and AYC is hard to get aftermarket and I'm sure it'll cost a lot more.

Then again, it's costly to repair those and I'm sure you could get the same result with the money you save with the money you loose with Trade in and Dealer Mark ups.

So my vote is "no" it's not worth it. Instead of YAW control, you could get Tein inboard control coilovers. You could get a Vishunu stage 0 +1 and go faster than MR for around $3000. Loosing weight isn't much of a problem after the Vishnu kit.

That's ONLY if you're out of the factory warranty.

AYC isn't listed in the 2005 EVO's

If you already have an EVO keep it and wait to see next update of the EVO in a couple years?
If you're gonna get an EVO then the 2005's no doubt
They all come with ACD and LSD now so if the MR is too expensive for you, you're not missing much with the other 2 models
Old Jun 4, 2004 | 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Shaving pounds off gets expensive fast.. Titanium Lug Nuts $100, Titnatium Strut Bars, $400. Titanium Exhuast $900