Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Keep Evolution or Trade for Evo MR?
Keep the Evolution and the heck with trading For Evo MR
75.27%
Screw The Evo I'd Rather Get the Evo MR go and trade
24.73%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

my opinion on the mr

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2004 | 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zstryder
Actually, that's what I'm dying to know. Does ACD in tarmac mode handle at ALL like our viscous diff? If so, then I can live with it, because I know I won't be playing in the rain or snow all that often...
Well from reading some of mitsubishi's papers on ACD, the main feature is that it offers up to 3X the locking force of the VLSD in our "standard" evo. In tarmac mode, the ACD is not fully locked, though it does vary its lockup based on a variety of inputs from sensors throught the car. The difference is that on looser surfaces you want a more locked-up diff, which is where I understand ACD has the biggest advantage. The VLSD also has a variable locking force, but it's in reaction to the torque exerted on the front and rear axles and not an active response to a set program or wheel angle/g force sensors.

IMO it's mostly useless for tarmac driving, get the quaife front LSD and you'll be more than happy. The other advantage of a VLSD is that there's no plate on plate rubbing as there is with the clutch packs in ACD. IN other words, if/when mitsu goes under, the ACD will be much more of a headache down the road, as the internal clutch packs start to wear out.

Perhaps somewhat telling is that when Ralliart made the Evo VI Extreme Edition they elected to leave out AYC (because it wasn't necessary for the experienced drivers they were targeting) and ACD didn't exist yet. And I guarantee that an Evo VI EE would kill any USDM MR out there.
Old Sep 17, 2004 | 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Here's the Mitsubishi press kit for the evo 7, where ACD was introduced:
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/PDF-E/evo7.pdf

It's clear from reading it that ACD doesn't actually disconnect the rear wheels, it simply allows the diff to run as a completely open diff, thus allowing any speed differential between the front and rear wheels. So if you do a handbrake turn with the clutch out, the front wheels will spin twice as fast or the RPM's will drop to 1/2, or somwhere in between. I assume you do a handbrake turn with the clutch in, in which case it makes no difference how fast the input shaft is turning.
Old Sep 17, 2004 | 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nsnguyen
Well from reading some of mitsubishi's papers on ACD, the main feature is that it offers up to 3X the locking force of the VLSD in our "standard" evo. In tarmac mode, the ACD is not fully locked, though it does vary its lockup based on a variety of inputs from sensors throught the car. The difference is that on looser surfaces you want a more locked-up diff, which is where I understand ACD has the biggest advantage. The VLSD also has a variable locking force, but it's in reaction to the torque exerted on the front and rear axles and not an active response to a set program or wheel angle/g force sensors.

IMO it's mostly useless for tarmac driving, get the quaife front LSD and you'll be more than happy. The other advantage of a VLSD is that there's no plate on plate rubbing as there is with the clutch packs in ACD. IN other words, if/when mitsu goes under, the ACD will be much more of a headache down the road, as the internal clutch packs start to wear out.

Perhaps somewhat telling is that when Ralliart made the Evo VI Extreme Edition they elected to leave out AYC (because it wasn't necessary for the experienced drivers they were targeting) and ACD didn't exist yet. And I guarantee that an Evo VI EE would kill any USDM MR out there.
That's good information, thanks!
Old Oct 9, 2004 | 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Derek Baker
I'm getting the MR WHITE I will have my vin # as of next week i'm so excited,I can't wait a month which is what they told me here in Florida . I can't wait to see the cup holder now i can drive at the track and not worry about spilling my frostie beverage

Derek

Do I sense a bit of excitement here
Old Oct 9, 2004 | 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MisterSpoot
^ This has been discussed in great detail: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=93857

Nothing's preventing you from changing things over yourself, either. I'll probably be swapping out the headlamps and taillamps down the road (the Graphite Gray seems incomplete without it), and I'm waiting for the paint codes for the rear-spoiler from someone across the pond.

I believe the Grey is the only color coming with a black spoiler.
Old Oct 10, 2004 | 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-Ron
I believe the Grey is the only color coming with a black spoiler.
I would not trade it in for the MR. IMO, I think the rims are nasty on the MR, and isnt if something like 5HP more? Who cares. 200lbs lighter for a couple grand? No thanks!!!!!!!
Old Oct 11, 2004 | 11:17 AM

MR is heavier than 2003 Evo

The extra equipment... front diff, ACD... causes the MR (and regular 2005 Evo) to weigh MORE than the 2003 Evo. The wheels, aluminum roof panels and other lightweight do-dads shave off very little weight. IMO they are more of a marketing tool than anything. I believe it was CAR & DRIVER that found the 2005 Evo MR weighs 40# more than the 2003 Evo they had tested.

However, the revised suspension, ACD and front diff are great. And the 2005 motor for all Evos apparently is more flexible (larger power band, less lag) in addition to the slight increases in power and torque.

Keep in mind that the nature of this car is to change slightly year to year. So unless you can easily afford it, it's probably not a good idea to trade last year's model to get this year's car. How will you feel when the '06 comes out and leaves your '05 second-best? Not to get too philosophical here, but in cars or anything else, it's good to pick a winner and then hold onto it and not worry about whether somebody else now has something slightly better/faster/more attractive, etc.
Old Oct 12, 2004 | 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Nyc_Ryc
...Not to get too philosophical here, but in cars or anything else, it's good to pick a winner and then hold onto it and not worry about whether somebody else now has something slightly better/faster/more attractive, etc.
AMEN!!!

and HALLELUJAH!

Joe
www.joe250.com
Old Oct 12, 2004 | 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sentinal
even if the Evo 9 takes another 3 years to get here I'm betting it will be worth the wait.
i agree
Old Oct 12, 2004 | 08:10 PM

If any of us sell are evos we would lose up to 15k depended on when you bought it. 15k in upgrades!!!! makes a super car a super duper car.
Old Oct 12, 2004 | 08:15 PM

From: somewhere in this little ol' town is me. And here i am!! So why does it matter where i live? (Atlanta)
dude
i actually thought about trading in my Evo in on the new MR
and i figured out how much moneyu i would be loosing
the equal amount was around $10,000
or something like that
its not worth it man
just mod the heck out of your Evo
then when the MR comes out you can be like
WHAT MR!!
hehe
take my advice done do it
you would loose too much money

just my opinion
Old Oct 12, 2004 | 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nyc_Ryc
The extra equipment... front diff, ACD... causes the MR (and regular 2005 Evo) to weigh MORE than the 2003 Evo. The wheels, aluminum roof panels and other lightweight do-dads shave off very little weight. IMO they are more of a marketing tool than anything. I believe it was CAR & DRIVER that found the 2005 Evo MR weighs 40# more than the 2003 Evo they had tested.

However, the revised suspension, ACD and front diff are great. And the 2005 motor for all Evos apparently is more flexible (larger power band, less lag) in addition to the slight increases in power and torque.

Keep in mind that the nature of this car is to change slightly year to year. So unless you can easily afford it, it's probably not a good idea to trade last year's model to get this year's car. How will you feel when the '06 comes out and leaves your '05 second-best? Not to get too philosophical here, but in cars or anything else, it's good to pick a winner and then hold onto it and not worry about whether somebody else now has something slightly better/faster/more attractive, etc.
Plus over the 12 year history of evo production this new and improved Evo comes out every 18-24 months. It will be very expensive to have the latest and greatest.
Old Oct 13, 2004 | 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

I think the key is to either drive the MR ... or wait for some side to side comparos with between the MR and 03/04 EVOs...

There is so much good aftermarket stuff out there tha can be bought for a stock evo, why waste $15k on minor improvements...
Old Oct 13, 2004 | 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steve_evo
I think the key is to either drive the MR ... or wait for some side to side comparos with between the MR and 03/04 EVOs...

There is so much good aftermarket stuff out there tha can be bought for a stock evo, why waste $15k on minor improvements...
Depends on whether you define 6 speed and ACD as "minor." For those of us who don't track every weekend, we'll probably never know the difference. For the hardcore, it could make all the difference in the world - depends on what class of drivers you fall into. Of course, everybody should benefit from a front LSD, though.
Old Oct 13, 2004 | 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

well unless you want to rally in the snow, mud or offroad conditions, Tarmac is usually the only mode you will run 50:50 split. As for the 6-speed, once you modify the car... and change the powerband then it just means different driving styles. If you want to leave the car stock, then the car will probably work great with it.

Why not use the $15k for a big turbo kit, big brake kit, Quaiffe diff, large lightweight rims and sticky rubber, serious suspension (ohlins/jrz/moton) and carbon fiber aero/body panels?