Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anybody Else Receive "Service Campaign Notification: SC-04-005"?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2004, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody Else Receive "Service Campaign Notification: SC-04-005"?

I received last week a service campaign notice that states:

Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc (MMNA) has decided that a problem in the cooling fan controller may cause the engine to overheat. Accordingly MMNA has announced a service campaign to correct this problem.

Please contact your Authorized Mitsubishi Dealer to schedule a repair date. When you bring your vehicle in, show this letter. (If you misplace this letter, they will still make the repair, free of charge.) The dealership will replace the cooling fan controller.

The time needed for actual repair is approximately 30 minutes. However, the dealer may need your vehicle for a longer period of time due to scheduling, but every effort will be made to minimize your inconvenience.

If you have any trouble having your vehicle repaired promptly and at no charge, please inform us by calling:

Mitsubishi Customer Relations Department
888-MITSU-2004 (888-648-7820)
Hours: Monday-Saturday 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. (Central Standard Time)

We appreciate your prompt attention to this matter, and apologize for any inconvenience. If you have questions, please contact your Mitsubhishi Dealer.

Sincerely,

MMNA

Did anybody else receive this notice? It appears to apply to 02-03 Lancer, 03 EVO and 03-04 Outlander.

Has anybody had problems with their fan controller?

I only have an exhaust and intake on my EVO, but I'd just as soon keep my car as far away from Satan/the Dealer as possible.

Mark
Old Oct 25, 2004, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

I got the same letter; and like you do NOT want to go anywhere near a dealer. I may query them and see of they'll just give me the part and let me install it. Either way I'm sure they'll be ready to void my warranty, with a quickness.

I'd like to know too.. has anyone had their car overheat due to fan controller failure? Or is this just another reason for them to have a look under our hoods and void out a bunch of warranties? I'm skeptical about the whole thing!
Old Oct 25, 2004, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

I too rec'd the same recall notice. Im sending my car in tomorrow to have it done, I heard its really no big deal. As far as the mods are concerned, I have an HKS cat back and intake with eibach springs. I sent my car in a few months back for a transfer case decal recall and they didnt mention anything about my mods.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

I posted on this as well as a couple other people about this along time ago.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Apparently it is not all the '03 Evos. I went to my dealer and looked up my VIN # and he said that my car wasn't counted. All I had was that stupid emissions sticker crap. My Evo was made in July '03 so I think it only affects the ones before that.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

got mine today, too. im curious to the person who referenced a transfer case decal incident? I never heard anything about that? Do you have more info?
Old Oct 27, 2004, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

just got mine today. is everyone really that much of a conspiracy theorist when it comes to mitsubishi that they think this is just a big warranty scam? i'm probably going to get mine looked at this weekend, i'll let you know how it goes. my dealer already knows i have an intake and exhaust on my lancer, and has never said anything except they look and sound nice.
Old Oct 27, 2004, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Mine went in about a week ago to have clutch and flywheel replaced under warantee. They also repaired a dent in my hood having to repaint it and did the recall work. My dealership seems to be very helpful, however my car is still stock.
Old Oct 27, 2004, 03:05 PM

I got mine today too. The dealer told me that they had to order it. I wont hold my breath waiting for that phone call.
Old Oct 27, 2004, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took my car in for the fan controller this week. I put a few of my stock parts back on the car "just in case". As I was leaving the dealership they threatened to void my drivetrain warranty because I didn't get my 30,000 mile service done there.
Old Oct 27, 2004, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by naucrx
I took my car in for the fan controller this week. I put a few of my stock parts back on the car "just in case". As I was leaving the dealership they threatened to void my drivetrain warranty because I didn't get my 30,000 mile service done there.
I get more dissappointed every day, they questioned me about doing my own oil changes. I keep full documentation and it probably wont matter if the time ever comes.
Old Oct 27, 2004, 03:53 PM

I heard about this from this board and mine was fixed along with installing my brake air guides last week. I am good friends with the parts and service department guys and I know they didn't do a recall just to see what mods you've got...lol

I think someone's been watching too much X files
Old Oct 27, 2004, 06:18 PM

I had this recall done at the dealer. It was a 30 minute install. The only issue I had was the mechanic did not tighten down one of the intercooler clamps, so it popped off about 30 minutes later on the road.
Old Oct 27, 2004, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Yes I just got mine seviced for the cooling fan switch and 02 sensor and gross vehichle weight sticker.
Old Oct 27, 2004, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by siantjab
I got the same letter; and like you do NOT want to go anywhere near a dealer. I may query them and see of they'll just give me the part and let me install it. Either way I'm sure they'll be ready to void my warranty, with a quickness.

I'd like to know too.. has anyone had their car overheat due to fan controller failure? Or is this just another reason for them to have a look under our hoods and void out a bunch of warranties? I'm skeptical about the whole thing!

not every dealer has the time to waste on making people's life miserable...

let me guess, you owned a DSM in the past??

Quick Reply: Anybody Else Receive "Service Campaign Notification: SC-04-005"?