Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Is the MR worth the extra money over the GSR?
Yup, ACD and 6-speed is a must!
44.93%
Nope, not worth the money.
55.07%
Voters: 1115. You may not vote on this poll

MR vs EVO: Is the MR edition worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2004, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is my opinion

if you really break it down a base 05 gsr is $31094 including destination and a MR is $35594 including destination that is a difference of 4500 dollars for that you get:

-6 speed tranny w/ teflon coated cables is a better set up than the five speed as far as how it shifts and how smooth it is
- aluminum roof which is alittle lighter and effectively lowers the center of gravity equal to you lowering a regular gsr 2 inches
-forged wheels instead of cast wheels which imo is a big difference
-bilstein suspension which has been proven to give a better ride and acctually improve handling as far as keeping the wheels to the ground
-h.i.d.'s come standard on the MR, on the gsr you'd have to add them or get them in a 3100 package(that imo is B.S.)
-plus you get other adds like guage pack, pedals, shift knob, brake lever, vortex generator.

the reason im going with the MR is i personally think for all that you get for the 4500 which really is alot. the wheels and suspension alone retail for 4995 so you really are getting a decent deal.

plus as far as a platform to build from i think the MR has lots of potential, thats why i voted for the MR.

now if you compare to an 03 or 04 gsr there is no comparison with all the other things you get over those two model years thats why my 03 is being traded in.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Richard EVO
No way. I got a new '04 RS for $26,100 ($300 over invoice) three weeks ago. $8,000+ is a heck of a lot of mod money. My modded RS will be WAY faster than a stock MR.
Thats a stupid response ... wat do you think the srt-4 owners say? My 10k+ modded srt-4 is faster den ur stock evo ... thats not the point.

I dont think the MR is worth the extra $$. I've said to lot of ppl that most ppl will not drive the rs or evo to its limits to even notice that they are missing something from the MR(b/c they're prolly not missing much). On the other hand if you have the $$ ... then y not? If i had the money i would buy the MR.

I do agree that the 05 EVO is probably the best all around comprimise between rs, evo, mr. I've caught myself thinking quite a few times that I should trade in for an 05 evo ... but i can probably slap on a good f lsd & rear sway and get the traction of the 05's. ACD .... damn nottin to replace that.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

in my opinion the MR is great for people who want to stay mostly stock.. for everyone else its not worth the money
Old Oct 26, 2004, 02:14 PM

I wouldn't pay an additional 5k for an MR. I had to sell my evo about 6 months ago (I still have a shi#*y feeling in my stomach). But I am planning to buy an MR in 1 year when I am done with school and start my career. The thing is that it is just like the 03 Evo's some people were spending upto $38,000 for those but once sales didn't do as good as they thought (in Utah especially) they dropped the price a ton. I say wait 6 months and when all the massive enthusiasts with deep pokets are done buying them, pick one up for 31-32k or less. I have the opportunity to see what if any changes are going to be made for the 06 before I can buy again so I will just play it out. If they do go down to that price I would say it is definately worth it but as of right now I would say no. With Subaru throwing what they are for competition and changing the STI so frequently with new body style again in 06-07 and with the 3.0 in their poket I wouldn't be surprised if they figure out how to put a turbo 3.0 I4 in the 07 STI. That would lead to at the least the FQ coming over and with a price tag over 50k in the UK, get ready for some inflation in our Evos if that happens. My point is that until the Evos are done their will always be something better coming out that costs a lot more. If you are an enthusiast and have the money you will buy it, if you are an enthusiast like me you wait a few months then buy it a lot cheaper, if you are someone that wants a really fast well tuned evo you are going to keep or buy an 03 and tune the hell out of it and it will be faster. A lot of poeple think those badges (actual badges not ricer boy stickers) are worth the price tag.

Last edited by evo32; Oct 26, 2004 at 02:29 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 02:15 PM

[QUOTE=Dr_Ev0]Thats a stupid response ... wat do you think the srt-4 owners say? My 10k+ modded srt-4 is faster den ur stock evo ... thats not the point.

I have to say amen to that.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 02:16 PM

I may be kinda dumb ... but i did notice a trend now a days ... car manufacturer's tend to come out w/ newer and better models every year or so. Wonder wat these trade in ppl will do when an evo IX comes out?
Old Oct 26, 2004, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Get the Best Motoring video "Factory Fighters". They test efficiency of the roof and the wheels, and in their tests, they made no difference in performance. The Diff and the 6 speed are the biggest differences. But better yet, I think it's wise to realize that people are into this car (the MR) because it is the latest and best iteration of the Evo. Simple. 70+ % of the people on this board will never track their cars, will never even get close to the potential of them. It's simply a matter of taste, pride of ownership, etc. Objectively you can take 8000.00 and put it into a new SRT-4, and have a car that will destroy an MR on the track. I've seen one. There was a guy at Buttonwillow running in the NASA HPDE time trial group 4 that was KILLING everyone in a highly modded SRT-4. He was a hell of a driver as well. This issue of "what car is better" regardless of the car in question is completely played out. There are too many variables to consider in such an analysis.

Percy

Originally Posted by jason@NTEC
if you really break it down a base 05 gsr is $31094 including destination and a MR is $35594 including destination that is a difference of 4500 dollars for that you get:

-6 speed tranny w/ teflon coated cables is a better set up than the five speed as far as how it shifts and how smooth it is
- aluminum roof which is alittle lighter and effectively lowers the center of gravity equal to you lowering a regular gsr 2 inches
-forged wheels instead of cast wheels which imo is a big difference
-bilstein suspension which has been proven to give a better ride and acctually improve handling as far as keeping the wheels to the ground
-h.i.d.'s come standard on the MR, on the gsr you'd have to add them or get them in a 3100 package(that imo is B.S.)
-plus you get other adds like guage pack, pedals, shift knob, brake lever, vortex generator.

the reason im going with the MR is i personally think for all that you get for the 4500 which really is alot. the wheels and suspension alone retail for 4995 so you really are getting a decent deal.

plus as far as a platform to build from i think the MR has lots of potential, thats why i voted for the MR.

now if you compare to an 03 or 04 gsr there is no comparison with all the other things you get over those two model years thats why my 03 is being traded in.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by mifesto
in my opinion the MR is great for people who want to stay mostly stock.. for everyone else its not worth the money
preach it bra
Old Oct 26, 2004, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OZRallyy
MR is totally worth it. Better parts and well-engineered. And US Spec 2003 EVO is not GSR.
I agree that its not the true GSR...but what would you call it? "Regular EVO" sounds pretty lame. The MR is still an EVO as well.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And for those that say its all subjective and too many points to analyze, well thats the point of the thread. Its your opinion...so lets have it

Jason, great points on why you bought a MR!
Old Oct 26, 2004, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

Old Oct 26, 2004, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

also agree
Old Oct 26, 2004, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

What is the difference in the 05's turbo's?? Are they the same as the 03 and 04's except they have the larger turbine housing, 10.5T? So we could upgrade ours to the same turbo for about $250? Or is the MR's turbo a titanium with the 10.5 housing. Can anyone confirm for sure? It says in the spec sheet posted above that all 2005's have the TD05HR-16G6-10.5T. That is then Inconel version if that information is correct.... It would have the TD05HRA designation instead of TD05HR if it was the titanium version.n

The MR has some nice features, but I don't know if its worth the extra cash or not.

Brian
Old Oct 26, 2004, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dr_Ev0
Thats a stupid response ... wat do you think the srt-4 owners say? My 10k+ modded srt-4 is faster den ur stock evo ... thats not the point.

I dont think the MR is worth the extra $$. I've said to lot of ppl that most ppl will not drive the rs or evo to its limits to even notice that they are missing something from the MR(b/c they're prolly not missing much). On the other hand if you have the $$ ... then y not? If i had the money i would buy the MR.

I do agree that the 05 EVO is probably the best all around comprimise between rs, evo, mr. I've caught myself thinking quite a few times that I should trade in for an 05 evo ... but i can probably slap on a good f lsd & rear sway and get the traction of the 05's. ACD .... damn nottin to replace that.
I have to completely agree here with Richard, and also say that your response is complete nonsense. You cant compare an Evo to an Srt-4 and for reasons that I wont even go into and you should know yourself. You can however compare an Evo to an Evo and should stick at that.

I think the MR is great car and a good buy! However I would rather use the extra $$$ saved for mods and other things. But that doesnt mean someone who thinks the MR is a better buy is wrong. Just my $.02
Old Oct 26, 2004, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

All the 05s have the TD05HR-16G6-10.5T, it is not titanium. There was speculation that Mitsu might of changed the exhaust cam to match the bigger housing, but that has not been confirmed on the U.S. model yet.

Steve

Quick Reply: MR vs EVO: Is the MR edition worth it?