Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Is the MR worth the extra money over the GSR?
Yup, ACD and 6-speed is a must!
44.93%
Nope, not worth the money.
55.07%
Voters: 1115. You may not vote on this poll

MR vs EVO: Is the MR edition worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2004, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wastegate is different on the 05's also
Old Oct 26, 2004, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jason@NTEC
wastegate is different on the 05's also
How is it different? What is the benefit? There isn't any boost creep or boost control problems on the one that the 03 and 04's had. Does anyone have any pictures or no how they changed it?

Brian
Old Oct 26, 2004, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

its suppose to be oval and stronger to resist leaking.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is the MR worth the extra $$$?

Great question. I tried to put my thoughts into this thread. Just ignore my rambling and arguing:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=103699

At the end of it all, my conclusion was that the MR is superior to the GSR (duh), but that the most important improvements for this year apply across the board to the GSR's and RS's. So I would not say the MR is worth the extra money over the cost of the GSR.

Joe
www.joe250.com
Old Oct 26, 2004, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

if you already own an evo and plan to trade it in just to get an MR, i think it's not worth it.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 03:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SurfguruJon311
I have to completely agree here with Richard, and also say that your response is complete nonsense. You cant compare an Evo to an Srt-4 and for reasons that I wont even go into and you should know yourself. You can however compare an Evo to an Evo and should stick at that.

I think the MR is great car and a good buy! However I would rather use the extra $$$ saved for mods and other things. But that doesnt mean someone who thinks the MR is a better buy is wrong. Just my $.02
problem is... that the RS just isn't a good daily driver. if i was still under 20 maybe i could go wtihout power windows and the sound deadening, but get real the RS makes some serious compromises in comfort. im not going to pay 30 g's out the door on a car that doesn't have power windows, power doors or abs.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

The RS is not my daily driver. That's what my Audi S4 is for. But I do drive the RS on the street frequently. With the JIC/Mueller suspension I got last week, it has a pretty frim ride on the street, but it just depends on what you like.

I have a very high tolerance for driving track prepared cars on the street. In fact, I really enjoy it. My 350Z (now deceased) had a Tilton 8 lb. flywheel and rally clutch, and a Nismo clutch-type limited slip differential set on the hardest "full-race" setting. It was a monster to drive on the street, but still put a smile on my face every time I did (except in stop 'n' go rush hour freeway traffic).

It has nothing to do with age. I'm 49. I'm not to lazy to wind up the windows. LOL.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by steve_evo
Worth is or not is purely subjective to each individual. I have an 03 and I test drove my friends 05 GSR. I put it through it's paces (not the odd drive around the block) on our local mountain roads.

IMHO, the most significant change to this year's model is the LSD+ACD combination, it's a shame our 03s didn't come with it like the JDMs did. This greatly helps cornering limits and power exit out of the turns. The 10.5 housing power increase is nice but not substantial.

I have yet to drive the MR, although I did see it, sit in it. I must say the Grey paint scheme is beautiful with the BBS wheels makes the car so sharp. The aluminum roof ( I doubt anyone will notice the effect) bilstein suspension and 6-speed are the unknown variables to me. Until I drive with the combination I cannot make a judgement call.

I still think at $35k, the car is well equipped as a factory street racer. If you are the kind of enthusiast that always likes to modify cars, you're better off with the base 05 or keep your 03/04.

Steve
I own a MR and I agree 100% I think the 10.5 will make a bigger difference once you start modifying for power.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 04:10 PM

Fully loaded GSR, and MR are not that different in price. When you consider the 6 speed, bilsteins, and bbs wheels.

Its more of a preference.

Also note, that the resale on a MR will remain higher then a RS, or a GSR. Simply because it is the top package of the model. And is limited. So depends on your situation, but MR will be money better spent if you can afford it.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 04:15 PM

If you already have the EVO VIII, i don't think it's worth trading it to the MR. Don't get me wrong, I love the MR but if you don't own an EVO yet I think the MR is worth getting to start with.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hagakure
Get the Best Motoring video "Factory Fighters". They test efficiency of the roof and the wheels, and in their tests, they made no difference in performance. The Diff and the 6 speed are the biggest differences. But better yet, I think it's wise to realize that people are into this car (the MR) because it is the latest and best iteration of the Evo. Simple. 70+ % of the people on this board will never track their cars, will never even get close to the potential of them. It's simply a matter of taste, pride of ownership, etc. Objectively you can take 8000.00 and put it into a new SRT-4, and have a car that will destroy an MR on the track. I've seen one. There was a guy at Buttonwillow running in the NASA HPDE time trial group 4 that was KILLING everyone in a highly modded SRT-4. He was a hell of a driver as well. This issue of "what car is better" regardless of the car in question is completely played out. There are too many variables to consider in such an analysis.

Percy
First of all the BM video is hardly a definitive test. The MR is also easier to live with on the street. If you drive an Evo like they, are meant to be driven, you can feel the TORSEN and the ACD working. The six speed, that I thought I would not care for turns out to be one of the highlights of the car. It feels much better shifting and the fills the gap between 4th and 5th in the current 5 speed.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jason@NTEC
its suppose to be oval and stronger to resist leaking.
The flap has gone from oval to circular. The ports that the valve controls are now two D-shaped outlet joined together to form a circular port. This was done to increase flow and responsiveness.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 04:36 PM
Former Sponsor

well my MR is my daily driver.

i used to drive my civic on the street. i has a motec m800, 1600cc injectors, tilton twin disc clutch, tein rs w/ 1000 lbs rear springs.... while i could drive it on the street... it doesn't make it a good daily driver. driving a really modded car on the street is a waste, and unnecessary headache. that's why i like the MR.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

It's funny, just the other day I took off my THULE roof rack (I weighed it at 21lbs) off the roof of my 03 EVO (no sunroof). This rack stands 2 inches higher off the roof (higher center
of gravity)

To be honest I didn't really feel a difference with it off... (true that I wasnt pushing the envelope with the car) but with that in mind I don't imagine that a mere 8lbs in the aluminum roof on the MR will make a noticeable difference.

Steve
Old Oct 26, 2004, 04:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by steve_evo
It's funny, just the other day I took off my THULE roof rack (I weighed it at 21lbs) off the roof of my 03 EVO (no sunroof). This rack stands 2 inches higher off the roof (higher center
of gravity)

To be honest I didn't really feel a difference with it off... (true that I wasnt pushing the envelope with the car) but with that in mind I don't imagine that a mere 8lbs in the aluminum roof on the MR will make a noticeable difference.

Steve
yea, that stuff they teach at school called physics... it's all a lie.

Quick Reply: MR vs EVO: Is the MR edition worth it?