Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Removing Mirror

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2004 | 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Removing Mirror

This may be a silly question, but how do I remove the inside reaer view mirror? There are no screws visible. I've read that some mirrors come off by twisting them, but I want to make sure before I brake it of the glass by yanking the wrong way. Anybody know how to do this? Thanks .
Old Oct 30, 2004 | 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

i think they are glued on .
Old Oct 30, 2004 | 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

there should be a little tab on the lowest part of the base of the mirror... pull that tab towards you and slide the mirror up towards the headliner...

if the design is not like that, then it is an accord style mirror which you should turn clockwise or counter clockwise by holding the base of the mirror and face at the same time...
Old Oct 30, 2004 | 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys - I didn't see a tab, but there is an opening (like a groove) on the underside of the mirror base. I'm trying to attach a Gentex mirror - it came with a bracket specifically for the Lancer (I'm hoping same as the Evo), and from that my guess is it either twists or slides off with a spring to hold it in place. I'm just not sure which one (twist or slide) and I don't want to break off the base from the glass by yanking on it the wrong way. Here is a picture of the bracket (the side that attaches to the windshield base facing you). Unfortunately, it did not come with instructions... Nobody here has ever removed/replaced their mirror?

Old Oct 30, 2004 | 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

to be honest... if you can find a glass company to remove your old bracket you can reglue that bracket to the windshield... from experience there is a possiblilty they could break your windshield beacause of the heat from the tool... post a pic of the mirror...
Old Oct 30, 2004 | 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not trying to remove the mirror mount from the windshield, just the mirror from the mirror mount:

The mirror mount is a metal bracket glued to the windshield
The mirror base is the piece of the mirror that mates to the mount

There are three types of base/mount interfaces used in cars, screw, slide, and twist. The screw type is easy to identify, cause you can see the screw head on the mirror base. The slide and the twist type I'm not sure how to distinguish (before taking it off), so I'm worried that if I twist (when it's a slide) I will break the mount of the windshield glass (bad), rather than separating the base from the mount (good).

The reason I have the bracket (shown above) is that the mirror base on the aftermarket mirror (Gentex) does not fit the OEM mount on the windshield. The bracket is the adapter to make them fit. The side shown in the picture is the side that is supposed to connect to the mount on the windshield, and I was hoping someone here had seen/done this before and could tell me whether this is a "slide" type or "twist" type. I guess I'll just have to try it and see what happens...
Old Oct 30, 2004 | 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

it slides... why are you using a aftermarket mirror?
Old Oct 30, 2004 | 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Ah - thanks ! I'm replacing it with an auto-dimming Gentex mirror with inset digital compass and temp display. I had it in my previous car and got used to it.