Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Turbo Timer

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2004, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Timer

Simple Question:

Will a Turbo Timer void my warranty?

thnx
Old Nov 3, 2004, 07:22 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

It shouldn't.... It depends on your local dealer.

You will usually run into warrantee problems with Turbo back / cat replacement exhausts, MBCs, Flashes, Computers (Utec, Xede, Etc). You have to be careful with intakes also.

If you are concerned then ask first. It never hurts and it makes the service manager feel special.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by JTB
It shouldn't.... It depends on your local dealer.

You will usually run into warrantee problems with Turbo back / cat replacement exhausts, MBCs, Flashes, Computers (Utec, Xede, Etc). You have to be careful with intakes also.

If you are concerned then ask first. It never hurts and it makes the service manager feel special.
THNX....much apperciated
Old Nov 3, 2004, 07:59 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Man, I went to another Mitsu dealer and the tech told me they'll void my warranty because of the Boost Gauge.

I was like what?
Old Nov 3, 2004, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

My service department told me the only way a turbo timer could void my warrantee is if it were installed incorrectly and therefore caused some sort of damage.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 08:52 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PVD04
My service department told me the only way a turbo timer could void my warrantee is if it were installed incorrectly and therefore caused some sort of damage.
Yeh, I wish that's what the tech told me.

He told me flat out that anything that'll be installed that's not from the factory will void warranty on the car.

I told him that you must prove that my TT and the gauge is the cause of my problem (we were talking about the clutch at the time and the brakes).

He was like "nuh ah" I was like "???!!!!" and we just stopped talking about it.

The service advisor was like, "why arent' they made with Boost Gauge and TT from the factory? they should of done that alread" .

the service guy had a Talon boosting 30psi...

But the Tech was really good tho... He fixed my brakes and now my project Mu b force is forceful again!
Old Nov 3, 2004, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

whom ever said "nuh ah" is a moron because you do have to prove the problem was caused by the part installed. Its not a mitsu thing its a LAW, muhahahahahaha. Anyways I know first hand thats right
Old Nov 3, 2004, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by plokivos
He told me flat out that anything that'll be installed that's not from the factory will void warranty on the car.
thats pretty dumb
Old Nov 5, 2004, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

Has anybody used the Greddy Turbo Timer????

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/templa...ubFolderId=567
Old Nov 5, 2004, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by plokivos
Yeh, I wish that's what the tech told me.

I told him that you must prove that my TT and the gauge is the cause of my problem (we were talking about the clutch at the time and the brakes).

He was like "nuh ah" I was like "???!!!!" and we just stopped talking about it.

The service advisor was like, "why arent' they made with Boost Gauge and TT from the factory? they should of done that alread" .

the service guy had a Talon boosting 30psi...

But the Tech was really good tho... He fixed my brakes and now my project Mu b force is forceful again!
I believe there is a Federal law that prevents dealership or manufacture from not honoring their warranty. They can't tell you that your warranty is void, (to none related issues), due to the installation of boot gauge or turbo timer. Unless they can provide evidence to prove it, and it is THEIR responsibility to find the evidence to prove it. Otherwise, they'll just have to honor the warranty.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 04:15 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR._Evil
I believe there is a Federal law that prevents dealership or manufacture from not honoring their warranty. They can't tell you that your warranty is void, (to none related issues), due to the installation of boot gauge or turbo timer. Unless they can provide evidence to prove it, and it is THEIR responsibility to find the evidence to prove it. Otherwise, they'll just have to honor the warranty.

The problem, however, is that if they are uncooperative you then need to force them to prove it and sometimes this can only be done by some form of legal action or arbitration. If they then tear into your car and then find that your mod was the cause then you can be held responsible for their time to make this determination.

My point is that if you include the dealership by asking first, you can develop a rapport with them and you will be much more unlikely to have a legitimate claim denied.

If you are going to make modes that should void your warrantee such as MBC, ECU flash, cams, etc. then you should expect to cover the costs of failure yourself.

The problem is that many owners put things back to stock when something fails and then take the car in for a warrantee repair. This lacks integrity... you mod, you break it, you pay to fix it
Old Nov 5, 2004, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PEOPLExpress
Has anybody used the Greddy Turbo Timer????

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/templa...ubFolderId=567
i have the greddy. works fine, i just and to swap one wire off the harness (theres a three pin connector red, blue, and green. at the plug from the harness to the until (on either side) you just swap the blue and green wire.

it fixes the "hiccup"
Old Nov 5, 2004, 04:42 PM

I have a Blitz DTT that works great and a Apexi Boost gauge slaved off the SMK boost gauge. My Mitsu guys know how the boost gauge is installed and they told me as long as you install teh TT properly (ie: use an installation harmess) there isn't any problems. As far as voiding the clutch warrenty, that took about 30 seconds for Mitsu to say "WE WON'T WARRENTY CLUTCHES IF THERE IS ANY BLUE ON THE FLYWHEEL". Even if they did void your warrenty for a bad install, they can only void the portion of the warrenty effected by teh part installed. ie: a TT causing an electrical short can't void the warrenty on your control arms.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PVD04
I agree.
I put a turbo timer in the first week I had the car although I never use it.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 06:57 AM

Thumbs up

I believe the only time a TT will void your warranty is if it has connections directly to the ecu, in which case the warranty on the ecu will be void but not the whole car. This is what my mitsu service guy told me, if you change a part....exhaust, intake, etc. it voids the warranty just on that part unless it is a central part that has implications on other parts, then you will have problems. All & all a tt is not much different than having a car alarm installed