Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Wonder how "watered down" US spec Evo 8 is gonna be..

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2002, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by hotstepper
How watered down you ask..Well it seems like its going to be worlds apart....not because of ayc, or acd....but to pass emissions test and bumper standards, that means that they're probably putting in large catalytic converters, different internals and smaller intercoolers. So i dont know if youll be able to raise your boost level to 18 pounds safely like you can do with the 7.
Okay, so it will be different, but worlds apart is a bit of a stretch IMO, wants to have as little hassle as possible with the cars, so they'll make as much standard as possible. It would seem to me, that they would give everyone the reinforced front end, and since it is reinforced there is no need for a smaller intercooler. There probably will be a larger catalyic converter, but you're comment about "different internals" could mean just about anything. And if you're modding the car anyway, just change the cat, and make a few other small adjustments and 18 pounds of boost will be happily yours.

On another note 6 speeds are fun , although the only one I've driven was my friend's GTI 337.
Old Dec 1, 2002, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

I'm expecting the first coming Evolutions to be more "base". It will probably be the next coming year's batch that will have more features on them. has to test the water first you know...
Old Dec 1, 2002, 11:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by RaX
I don't believe that reliability is the issue. In the UK you can get an Evo VII with a 3 year warranty. If you take a look at the MLR you'll know that those guys are pretty dang hard on their cars with all of their trackdays and what not. Mitsubishi knows this too.
Well, UK track days aren't quite the same meaning as American track days. UK track days are around race tracks, vs. most American "track" days being drag strips. On the track, you don't want to be dumping the clutch or too harsh on the transmission - upsetting your car while cornering is a Bad idea at 100mph with a bunch of sand between you and the tyre wall.

That's why Subaru trannies don't have much problems in rallying, either - there's much less shock to the drivetrain from just hammering the gas in the dirt than their is when you are trying to get that ideal launch against the mustang next to you for the next 8 lights...

Cheers,

Paul Hansen