Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

performance driving school

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2004, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
performance driving school

Has anyone heard of the Evolution performance driving school. They are having some classes in houston soon and it sounded intresting to me. obviously its not just for evo's even though the name might suggest it but it is your basic autocross driving school. you show up in your own car and you have 1 on 1 time with an instructor and they help you build your weak points and reinforce your strong ones. Now what i was wondering is has anyone on these boards heard of them or better yet gone to one of these and is it worth it?

Thanks

-ED
Old Nov 7, 2004, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

I have been to two. They are wonderful. You get 20-40 "runs", including some with national auto-x champions as coaches. Some national level drivers still participate as students to sharpen their skills. Other than race tires, there is nothing else you can do that will generate this much improvement in your times. And, these schools cost a fraction of a new set of race rubber.
Old Nov 7, 2004, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Skipp Barber racing school in Houston.
Old Nov 7, 2004, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

School

I'd like to go to Skip Barber, Bob Bondurant or this place http://www.teamoneil.com/
Old Nov 7, 2004, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

I did the 3 day racing school at Skip Barber at Lime Rock Park. One of the very best weeks of my life.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 05:39 AM
Evolving Member

If you autocross and have some experience then you should take the school. Excellent reputation. I have taken Phases 1, 2 and the Challenge school. Highly recommended.

But if you are an autocross newbie, I suggest you get at least 5 events under your belt before taking the course. For newbies I recommend finding an experienced mentor at a local autocross and/or taking a novice school which many regions offer in the spring.

If you are not interested in autocrossing than there are plenty of other schools to teach you performance driving. But, IMHO, you will not learn as much on the race track about car control as you will on an autocross course.

Last edited by 00R101; Nov 8, 2004 at 05:42 AM.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by edtxag
Has anyone heard of the Evolution performance driving school. They are having some classes in houston soon and it sounded intresting to me. obviously its not just for evo's even though the name might suggest it but it is your basic autocross driving school. you show up in your own car and you have 1 on 1 time with an instructor and they help you build your weak points and reinforce your strong ones. Now what i was wondering is has anyone on these boards heard of them or better yet gone to one of these and is it worth it?

Thanks

-ED
Have you done any track event yet?

If not, here's a good one for you.

http://conecrazy.org/events/tws.htm
Old Nov 8, 2004, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This sounds very interesting. I guess i will look more into it

thanks guys
james
Old Nov 14, 2004, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for all the great advise i will take all of it into consideration before making my choice