Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Would you buy a certified Preowned Evo VIII
YES- I would Love to get a better deal and a Evo
58.43%
No- a used Evo is like someone's used underwear
41.57%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy an 03 Certified Evo from a Dealer

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2004, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To properly certify it, you would need to do a thorough inspection including the clutch and syncros, brake pads, check for boost leaks, etc. This may be costly and not worth it for the dealer. You cannot just certify it and the clutch goes out 500 miles later. Replacement wear and tear parts for this car are expensive, like brake pads, clutch, tires, driveline fluids. And these items must be in perfect shape.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 11:00 PM
Evolving Member

Mitsubishi is doing themselves a big favor by offering a warranty on a used EVO, because somebody like myself would never buy a used EVO without one. The thing that will be interesting to see is Mitsubishi's definition of Certified. This has been a problem with other manufactures. Certified sells but some companies will certify their grandma's lala (sorry must be on my mind because of the picture in Soulrippers post). I have seen cars with missing vin stickers certified. There was a bill the was going to define certify for the manufactures but it was thrown out.

Last edited by zmeli; Nov 11, 2004 at 11:22 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SinCityEvo
To properly certify it, you would need to do a thorough inspection including the clutch and syncros, brake pads, check for boost leaks, etc. This may be costly and not worth it for the dealer. You cannot just certify it and the clutch goes out 500 miles later. Replacement wear and tear parts for this car are expensive, like brake pads, clutch, tires, driveline fluids. And these items must be in perfect shape.
From what I know, dealerships will change wear-and-tear items if they are 60% or less, so just make sure that's the case.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by dizzigital
From what I know, dealerships will change wear-and-tear items if they are 60% or less, so just make sure that's the case.
That depends on the dealer.

I had a 15k tune up done on my Eclipse, when I got it back. My brakes were not bled, my tires were not rotated or even filled with air. It was ridiculous, you have to watch out with some dealers.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zmeli
Mitsubishi is doing themselves a big favor by offering a warranty on a used EVO, because somebody like myself would never buy a used EVO without one. The thing that will be interesting to see is Mitsubishi's definition of Certified. This has been a problem with other manufactures. Certified sells but some companies will certify their grandma's *** (sorry must be on my mind because of the picture in Soulrippers post). I have seen cars with missing vin stickers certified. There was a bill the was going to define certify for the manufactures but it was thrown out.
Grandma's lala. lol, this is true. Didn't know about the bill though, that would've been good. I hear Ford and Toyota throwing out "128 point inspection" all day long, but then their next advertisement says "130 point inspection". I've even heard of a 100 point inspection, so now I'm all over the map.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SoulRipper
That depends on the dealer.

I had a 15k tune up done on my Eclipse, when I got it back. My brakes were not bled, my tires were not rotated or even filled with air. It was ridiculous, you have to watch out with some dealers.
Yeah, I'll vote for that bill. Just be on top of it next time. Briefly mention the things you are expecting to be done to the Service Writer next time, that way he'll know he can't Mickey Mouse you. They know what has to be done, just depends if they actually do it.

Last edited by dizzigital; Nov 11, 2004 at 11:13 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 11:16 PM
Evolving Member

oops!

Last edited by zmeli; Nov 11, 2004 at 11:23 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 11:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zmeli
oops!
lol
Old Nov 12, 2004, 03:54 AM
Evolved Member

If its certified from the dealer that means its probably still under some type of warrentee so Yea I would take it as long as the dealer was willing to back it.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 04:06 AM
Evolved Member

Got my Evo with 1013 miles The guy that had it before me was 56 and kept it in his garage, never drove it. He traded it in to for a new galant, because the Evo was to fast for him Anyway I got a great deal.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 04:13 AM
Evolving Member

I would, it needs to be exactly what I want with low miles and no signs of abuse or a car that has been modded and put back to stock.

Anyone got a low mileage 05 RS in white ?
Old Nov 12, 2004, 07:22 PM
choad

Oh yea, to top it off. Mitsubishi just introduced a new Certified program in which we can Certify all pre-owned Evo's with a 127 point inspection and the customer can receive up to a 10 year 100,000 mile power train warranty.
This is HUGE for Mitsubishi..
Must be a part of the rehabbing of the company as a whole.

FYI Mitsu is one of the last if not the ONLY Japanese car company with NO Certified program...Has been a big issue with most dealers because the consumers have demanded the added value a Certified Program brings to the deal table..plus all other car companies have it..

Point to ponder, a certified used car can bring on average an extra $1500 in gross profit PER UNIT to the dealer and better client satisfaction overall with the delaer and vehicle....

This is step one in renovation of product and image..
Mark my words..
Old Nov 13, 2004, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

In my mind the ONLY reason for paying the "certified used car" preimum would be to get some kind of MANUFACTURERS (aka good at any dealership) extended warranty.

I've worked in the car service biz for over 15 years. I can tell you that all those inspections pretty much amount to a tech driving the car around the block to see if it runs, and, if you are lucky, taking off the wheels and looking around under the car.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 07:54 AM
choad

In my mind the ONLY reason for paying the "certified used car" preimum would be to get some kind of MANUFACTURERS (aka good at any dealership) extended warranty.
Thats what a Certified Program is dude. If it's a program, the manufacturer backs the car..Agreed.

I've worked in the car service biz for over 15 years. I can tell you that all those inspections pretty much amount to a tech driving the car around the block to see if it runs, and, if you are lucky, taking off the wheels and looking around under the car.
Where did you say you worked again??

Most techs are a little more thorough than that..I hope you arent the guy looking at MY next certified car..
Old Nov 13, 2004, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Scottybob

For a person who's been in the business for 15 years, from what it sounds like you haven't learned jack! It's either that or your still doing the same thing they were doing 15 years ago.

Oh yea where do you work again. That way we can let all the wonderful people know were not to get there car serviced