Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anyone Leasing an EVO GSR/MR?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2004, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone Leasing an EVO GSR/MR?

So I went down to the local dealership for a visit. Didn't get to test drive one but I was pretty set on getting one if the numbers would only work. Comparison shopping with an '05 STi, I got from Subaru $420/mo, 10K miles, money factor of 0.00229 with nothing more than first month drive off. I was shocked to learn that a similar deal for an MR, my monthly payment would be $681/mo for, if I remember correctly, a 48month lease!!! Are you leasing and what are you paying! Thanks for reading.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

When did they start to offer leasing on the Evo?

Personally, though....If they are, I would see this as a very, very bad idea with this car.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 04:59 PM

You can lease anything. Matter is if you agree with the price?
Old Nov 12, 2004, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 90GSX-03EVO
When did they start to offer leasing on the Evo?

Personally, though....If they are, I would see this as a very, very bad idea with this car.
True...but..... since these cars depriciate, leasing might not be that bad, especially like a 36month lease, the problem tho is whoever wants to mod, CANT. Well.....yu could but its stupid and useless.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
only reason to lease is if you plan to trade it in, or change cars every 2 years. i mean, if you know you are gonna have a car payment for the rest of your life, and are ok with that, Lease. I would love to lease a car, but def not this car. You can't mod it, that def sucks. And they are makin a killin on you if you lease a MR. I think the car will probably hold its value very well. Therefore, when they get it back from you....they will sell it at a pretty nice premium. Think....if you pay 681 for 48 months, thats freakin over 32,000. please don't lease that car....thats a damn rip.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Not only is there the whole "you can't mod it and you'll pay off the value in two years" thing, but think about Mitsu's warranty denial program. I'd hate to see the guy with a brand new Evo, a car he's never driven anything like it before, and in one weekend, he tears out thr 2nd gear synchro and smokes the clutch. When he takes it in for warranty work, well, he's at their mercy now. Sure, they'll put in another stock clutch. I've seen a dealership here in Virginia Beach, Virginia replace a stock clutch around October of last year. They charged the customer something like $3,000. I think they had pretty much backed him into a corner and made him feel that if he went aftermarket anything, he would go to hell.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

if you to go www.leasecompare.com you can probably get an even better deal that that. my RSX is a lease, and i plan on leasing my next car. some people dont like leases, but i prefer it. cheaper monthly payments, you dont have to worry about selling it, and in 3years you get another car. sounds good to me. and if u love the car u can buy it out, or RE-lease the car.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

A lease is a bad idea on a Mitsubishi in general because of how quickly they normally depreciate. An Evo should be different, because I think the Evo won't depreciate as quickly as a normal Mitsubishi. It sounds like they haven't quite factored this in yet. I bet if you tried to calculate your actual purchase monthly payments, your price would be cheaper. Try it out!
Old Nov 14, 2004, 09:34 AM

Don't lease. The car is too fun to drive and those miles will pile up. I'm on about 8k and I have only had the car for 5 months.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 04:10 PM
Evolving Member

the miles pile up, but in reality every mile that you drive decreases the amount of money that you'll recieve when u sell the car. for us we are allowed a certain amount of mileage (39,000mi in my car for my RSX), i dont have to worry about mileage till after that and its only 0.15/mile. you need to worry about every single mile. never thought of it like that did ya?
Old Nov 14, 2004, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WesternVanguard
Don't lease. The car is too fun to drive and those miles will pile up. I'm on about 8k and I have only had the car for 5 months.

i only dirve 8k a year

man you drive a lot
Old Nov 14, 2004, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

I don't even have 8000 miles and I have mine over a year and a half.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by D0WNxSH1FT
the miles pile up, but in reality every mile that you drive decreases the amount of money that you'll recieve when u sell the car. for us we are allowed a certain amount of mileage (39,000mi in my car for my RSX), i dont have to worry about mileage till after that and its only 0.15/mile. you need to worry about every single mile. never thought of it like that did ya?
That's why I CAN'T lease. I need to be able to drive as much as necessary... maybe some for fun, too. This car, as well as your RSX, are made for pleasure. They weren't intended to take you from A to B and that's it. I don't plan on selling the Evo until it becomes unreliable. At that point... the value of the car should be less than $10k anyways. A car is going to lose value. You know that when you buy it. You are correct, each mile costs money. Depreciation plus upkeep costs. Mine is at about $0.18/ mile without payments... or $0.84/ miles with payments. Now I have 20,9xx miles in just under a year. It's a lot of miles.... I think about it, but I move on. I didn't buy the car to make money, I bought it to drive it and have fun. And that's what I do.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

When I bought my car last March, I had them run the #'s for both lease and purchase. To my surprise, the lease deal was only about $20 less a month than a purchase comparing a 48 month lease and 60 month purchase. I was surprised because while I was cross shopping BMW 330i's, the lease payments were about $150 less than purchase. (again 48 lease, 60 purchase) Of course BMW residual was better % wise. The finance manager explained that residuals are not what they were even 4-5 years ago. Too many banks getting burned on lease turn ins.

The last car I had, I leased, and will think hard about doing that again. At most I would do just a two year, but that would mean I would just be paying off the bulk of the depreciation.

Luckily I only put 30k on the car in 5 years ( I already have 14k on the Evo )

It was a pain in the a$$ to turn my lease in, had to pay a $400 "disposition fee". You cannot get rid of the car before the lease termination without severly rolling over what you owe. You are always flipped.

The final deciding factor in leasing or purchasing an Evo I think is the desire to mod it. You may think "I wanna keep it stock" But rest assured, eventually you'll give in.

Must... resist........not ..... put on..... MBC......
Old Nov 14, 2004, 09:30 PM

I visited 3 dealerships and the offer I got for a 36 month no downpayment lease was $631/month for 48 months!!! $100 more and I could get into a 2004 M3 coupe! What gives I thought and the sales manager explained that Mitsu's have been getting low residuals hence heavier monthly payments!!!