Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

2005 MR HIDS vs GSR non-HIDS

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RS2
$1060 for the complete kit
Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:18 PM
RS2
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by drummerjun
It all depends on what you want and how much you can spend, you can check on ebay and find a set of xenon bulbs for $20 ~ $45.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RS2
It all depends on how much you can spend.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:36 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

I don't know if you guys that don't see the difference are blind or haven't adjusted your HIDs (which are usually way too low for most 03 Evos out there, not sure about 05) but the visibility is just so much better once they are properly setup.
The proper temperature also is around 4100K. If you go with higher temperatures you get different light color (bluish to purple) and worse visibility.
HIDs with 4100K are white as daytime light and therefore much better for the eyes. The reason why people think they are blue is because of the lens and that's visible only from the outside. There are multiple advantages, not sure why anyone would want to downgrade except for losing some weight.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

i have an 05 gsr with the halogens, i get the very crisp cutoff line like the HID evos, i'm assuming from the projectors. but the lighting is pretty good, i have thought about the HID's. i have not driven an 03 at night so i can't really say which is better.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 03:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by plokivos
d2s - h1 probably.

Need new wiring and plug for the H1, and you're all set, but that's a lot of work to downgrade.

I was thinking more of a trade the entire light assembly for the non hid. Because

-HID is heavy
-I dont drive much at night
-I could probably get a good bit of cash for the HID's
Old Nov 19, 2004, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SoR
I don't know if you guys that don't see the difference are blind or haven't adjusted your HIDs (which are usually way too low for most 03 Evos out there, not sure about 05) but the visibility is just so much better once they are properly setup.
The proper temperature also is around 4100K. If you go with higher temperatures you get different light color (bluish to purple) and worse visibility.
HIDs with 4100K are white as daytime light and therefore much better for the eyes. The reason why people think they are blue is because of the lens and that's visible only from the outside. There are multiple advantages, not sure why anyone would want to downgrade except for losing some weight.
I have both Halogen and HID Evos. The HID light is colder more bluish. But so what. The human eye adjust for color balance so well you won't notice it while your driving. Think how well the human eye corrects for florescent lighting.

I do see a difference but it is very small. I had to point out the difference to my wife. The HIDs are decent but not worth a huge amount of money to upgrade. You going to pay $1000 for bluer light. If the Evo halogen lights performed badly I could see some kind of upgrade but they are pretty damn good also.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 01:04 AM

If I were to go the OEM route for the upgrade (from Halogen to HID), would I need to swap housings as well? I assume yes because

a) foglight (I'd do these as well) appears to be blanked out in my '05 GSR (unless that chrome dome just pops out to reveal a reflector,
b) projector (is this just the glass lens?) _may_ be different between halogen and HID (can this just be switched out rather than the full housing?), and
c) base connector mounts (I'm assuming a 9006 fits into the housing differently than a D2S.

Looking at the wiring diagram, the fuses are different as well as the wiring from the fuse panel to the bulb harness.

Here's the parts I think would be needed:

housings
level controller
bulbs (HID and foglight)
wiring harness for HID
wiring harness for foglight
wiring (power/control) for level controller
wiring (power) for foglight
wiring (power) for HID (different than Halogen low beam)
switch and wiring for foglight
switch and wiring for level controller

I think that about sums it up.

Now all I have to do is find someone willing to swap with me...
Old Feb 12, 2005, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TriCycle STI C
Where can I get a pair of HIDs for the 05 GSR???

you can check here......

www.xenondepot.com

they're based out of Canada...and they got a pretty clean kit.....go to the site....mine is the white 05 evo on the site...

and yes..pretty clean cutoff......and ya don't have to pay $1000 bucks for them either.....
Old Feb 12, 2005, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sentinal
on the 03 models it was standard to get HID's the 04 was optional and now on the 05 its not even an option less you get S&S ? thats stupid they are suposed to be makin the car better not finding new corners to cut. :
Dude, how do you expect Mitsu to put in a front LSD, ACD, and a slightly better turbo and keep the same price as before without taking something out? The cars ARE getting better!

Ill take all the stuff I got on my 05 GSR before HIDs any day.

Persoanlly, I think the non-HID lights in the evo are great. And the high beams...WOW. I think the only reason to upgrade is to get the appearance and status of having HIDs on youre car. To me, not worth the $1k.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

FYI, if anyone is interested, I remember a few threads on this in the show and shine section.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mercenary3
Dude, how do you expect Mitsu to put in a front LSD, ACD, and a slightly better turbo and keep the same price as before without taking something out? The cars ARE getting better!

Ill take all the stuff I got on my 05 GSR before HIDs any day.

Persoanlly, I think the non-HID lights in the evo are great. And the high beams...WOW. I think the only reason to upgrade is to get the appearance and status of having HIDs on youre car. To me, not worth the $1k.
I agree it is a boat load of money to change the color of your lights.