Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car & Driver specs of new EVO...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2002, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seriously, now that we all know that EI can produce street legal cars, if our EVO comes out not up to expectations, then save up a bit more and get an EVO VII from EI, or even check out thier new offer on the J-spec EVO VIII. I mean, yes it will be probably like 10K more than our evo, but if you can save a bit more for it, then instead of buying something you won't be happy with, buy something you will be happy with. Personally, there is no way I can afford either unless for some odd reason I'm given a fullride to school. But I'm still entertaining the possiblities a few years down the road when my loans are all paid off. But, just remember, you don't have to buy the car if you aren't happy with it. Go to Subaru if you want a different four door AWD car, or go to EI if you really want an EVO. Just my input...
Old Dec 5, 2002, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow, the car actually looks pretty good in blue.
Old Dec 5, 2002, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, but the settings are only really valid if you are driving at 9/10's or 10/10's, which I can guarantee none of us will be doing that in the snow or on a gravel road.

You would not even notice the difference driving at 7/10's which is probably the best any of us will chance on a snow covered or dirt road.

Originally posted by Tuxedo Cartman
Ok, everyone keeps saying that the ACD wouldn't be used by most people. I disagree. There's a wonderful setting on it for "snow". Most everybody North of Arkansas will be able to appreciate that. And the "gravel" setting? I lived in Colorado for a number of years, and there are more dirt roads out there than paved ones. My house was at the end of a 5 mile stretch of dirt road that no one else used, so hell yeah I did a bit of "non-sanctioned amateur rally racing".

Point is, it is one more assistance item. Mitsubishi will be foolish for taking it off. There aren't too many serious performance cars here in America where you can flip a switch, and it'll go from being a true bad-*** car to a bad weather car.
Old Dec 5, 2002, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

thanks for posting!!!!!

Originally posted by nothing123456
here is the article
Old Dec 5, 2002, 11:22 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, but the settings are only really valid if you are driving at 9/10's or 10/10's,
So i take it that you've driven an evo VII?
Old Dec 5, 2002, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally posted by MEGABUSA
The only real use for the adjustability is if there is some slipping (as I understand it). So unless you are racing in the rain, snow, gravel or dirt, I doubt it is much use.
Well, the fact is that there is no difference once you get to the 8/10 or higher, whether you have a snow covered road or dry asphalt or even better, grippy concrete. That is the point where you are pretty close to the limits of the adhesion and surface really doesn't change that at all. The difference is in he amount of Gs that you get all of this to happen, but edge stays the same.

So, once you get there (dry or not) those systems (especially if adjusted to for that particular purpose) will help you to have better control of the car and be faster overall!

Also posted by MEGABUSA
What kind of other racing is there? Auto-X. I would imagine the stock AWD system would be plenty good. Do you honestly think there are many people who are capable of dialing in the splits for better times?
I will take a bit on this one, because that is the one that I am familiar with and leave RR for someone else, even tough, similar things apply there as well.

AutoX in particular would benefit from this probably the most (aside of the rally and other traction limited types of racing), since car has to be toasted left and right for the length of the course. If you don't do that, you are trophy feeder or even further back. Once you start doing such a thing, having a help of the nicely tune drivetrain is a huge help.

The biggest problem with the mechanical drivetrain regarding the autoX is that consist of combination of slow and fast corners. Slow ones are much slower than most of the other types of racing (rarely seen at the RR for example) and they require specific adjustment of your suspension and drivetrain. Unfortunately, that setup doesn't work for the higher speed corners and car usually ends up to be way too loose. If you adjust it for the faster sweepers, than you get a tight car for the slower portions. Either way you go, you have to sacrifice something. That is one of the reasons I have a wheel rate in the rear over 600 lb, while front is slightly over the 500. And all of that even with the fact that front wheels carry over a 1000 lb while rears are just over the 600 ls.

By having smarter drivetrain, I could use lower spring rates in the rear and get back some of the traction that I have to give up by going pretty stiff and car will be balanced even better.

And posted by MEGABUSA
Like I said before, it is simply a toy that won't be missed by more than a few people. Do you think more than 10 people with $60k Landcruisers actually need all of the locking differentials and **** that is loaded on them? NO.
As I said previously, you are right on the money here. But Landcruiser is not an EVO!

Mr. AWD
Old Dec 5, 2002, 01:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I, myself, will be EXTREMELY disappointed if the Evo does not have ACD. I could care less about the electronics in the differentials (it's cool, don't get me wrong). It's the fact that the ACD can transfer torque three times as fast as a typical viscous differential. Don't need AYC. ACD is the key. Although, all this can be solved if the American Evo handles/drives well. But, I bet it will still be lacking in some areas. In fact, I bet SCC would do a story pitting the American version vs. the Japan spec version, just to see how shafted we got (if at all).

HEY , how long before ACD/AYC becomes options? If it takes longer than a year, I may look somewhere else.

e in LA

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Dec 5, 2002 at 01:03 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2002, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by MaxR; Sep 23, 2006 at 02:28 AM.
Old Dec 5, 2002, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

I am very torn on the whole ACD thing. I know that realistically I will never rally my Evo. Driving a $30k car off road aggressively - that just isn't going to happen for me....
I will auto-x and road race the car, and I will probably take it to the drag track at least a couple of times, but I don't know if I am willing to trade the ability to drive the car that much harder 1% of the time for added expense and reliability. I have never driven an Evo of any kind (which is probably true of most of us on this board) so I really don't know what I will be missing. I would like to see ACD as an option, but I don't think I would go for it. Not having to replace the wheels, brakes, intercooler, and seats during my planned upgrade path is much more important to me.

The one thing I really want MMC to add is the damn 6 speed - simply for gas econ reasons. My buddy gets 30 mpg on his Z06 on long trips, simply because the 6th gear ratio is that high...

my 2 cents...
Old Dec 5, 2002, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

First I was thinking maybe they won't offer the INVECS-II semi-auto. But then after thinking about how the automatic WRX is responsible for 25% of its sales, maybe would wanna compete for that segment of the market also (that's a pretty big segment considering how many total WRXs sold).

Yum. Some good news for people who wants the Evolution performance but with a more daily-suitable automatic (dont' flame automatic people)
Old Dec 5, 2002, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Globe, thanks for the awesome pics and the admirable job you did getting them. Thanks!!
Old Dec 5, 2002, 03:07 PM

I heard the sti won't come with any luxuries like AC/heat and things like that. Its gonna be really basic but you can buy them as options, cuz they wanna be able to sell for around the same price as the evo, anybody else here this?
Old Dec 5, 2002, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Just to show how bad magazines can be at telling things correctly. Back in april i think it was...automobile magazine ran a EVO vs. STI article. I am sure some of you saw that article....for the most part i found it to be pretty good......but.....you think they would know what makes that whoooosh sound underneath the bonnet. This is what they said....."That the turbo whine and the blat blat of the wastegate is very intimidating". Just reading that makes magazines a void source of info for the most part. Cause everyone and their mom knows a wastegate does not go blat blat...well not an internal wastegate anyway. It's the freakin BOV or bypass valve(not totally sure what the evo comes with) But anyway just thought i'd share that tidbit with ya all on the validity of magazines.
Old Dec 5, 2002, 03:55 PM

I have two 1st-in-line deposits for an EVO at 2 different dealerships in Florida. I'm a car enthusiast first and am not loyal to any one brand or model. I'm also driven by value for my money, and wanting to avoid the frustration of knowing my 30k car is a too watered down version. It's looking more and more like I'll be getting both deposits back and going for an STi or something else. MITSU if youre reading this, regardless if whoever's or whatever's fault it is.. you lost at least 1 sale.
Old Dec 5, 2002, 04:04 PM

LOL.....why are you complaining about AYC/ACD? The article says in the future, after the release of the 275HP Evo, something EVERYONE has been *****ing about, we will see AYC/ACD as an option. WTH is the problem? Either wait for the option to come out and then buy an Evo or import one from EI. The f*cking Evo is going to be like 40K anyways with mark up. You think that 27K-29K price will hold? Oh please. Every dealer who said they were going to give it to you at MSRP....lol.....it will be great when you go to pick up your car and get the final

Quick Reply: Car & Driver specs of new EVO...