Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

trade in for srt4 or evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2004, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RallyRedEVO
Phssccct

I'm going to have to say something is fishy in that video. The first run to me looks like what we call a "ricer fly-by". Dude wasn't even trying, there's no way a "lightly modded" SRT would walk even a stock EVO by THAT much.

And for the rest of it, hrmmm, seems fishy to me. I don't think a SRT could pull an EVO like that being "lightly modded".

Either that EVO is stock and dude can't drive, and/or that SRT isn't just "lightly modded".

I wasn't there, but that looks like BS to me.
Yeah back in the day...in like late '03 when that was originally posted...that video created a monster thread. On top of the Evo driver not knowing how to launch, that SRT-4 was putting down some good power. Lightly modded is pretty open to imterpretation. My guess would be stage 1, spring mod, and exhaust. IIRC the only thing anybody knew for sure is that he had a Mopar 2.5" cat-back exhaust. The spring mod is basically a poor man's way off pulling the stock wastegate open to hold more boost. Before aftermarket companies like Forge and AGP released stronger wastegates lots of people were messing with them. For $5 in parts you could find at any Home Depot and an afternoon you could pick up close to 40whp. You can dial it in to hold 17psi or 18psi with a little tuning. With those mods he's probably putting about 275hp and 310tq to the wheels. Figure an Evo puts down 230-240whp and the video makes sense.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Steiner
Yeah back in the day...in like late '03 when that was originally posted...that video created a monster thread. On top of the Evo driver not knowing how to launch, that SRT-4 was putting down some good power. Lightly modded is pretty open to imterpretation. My guess would be stage 1, spring mod, and exhaust. IIRC the only thing anybody knew for sure is that he had a Mopar 2.5" cat-back exhaust. The spring mod is basically a poor man's way off pulling the stock wastegate open to hold more boost. Before aftermarket companies like Forge and AGP released stronger wastegates lots of people were messing with them. For $5 in parts you could find at any Home Depot and an afternoon you could pick up close to 40whp. You can dial it in to hold 17psi or 18psi with a little tuning. With those mods he's probably putting about 275hp and 310tq to the wheels. Figure an Evo puts down 230-240whp and the video makes sense.
I'd go with that if he could reach those power levels in the SRT, was a good driver, and we can see from the video that the EVO driver wasn't a good driver. Still that "first run" is a load of crap any way you look at it. I'd say on that first one the EVO driver backed out early. Way early.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

The guy in the Evo mighta missed a shift too. Plus you never know if we saw the whole series of races. I mean if you had a camera in your car, raced a few times...won some and lost some...which races would you put on the internet, you know? Not the ones you lost obviously. We may be seeing the whole picture but who knows really.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo77
And you think 287 whp is a lot? LMAO!!!!
i usually try to stay out of this debate when it comes up, but i just had to clear this up...

you do realize he said DD dyno right?? A dyno notorious for reading significantly lower than other dynos...on a mustang dyno (which im willing to bet is where the numbers in your sig for your srt came from) would read over 300whp...i forget the variable to convert, but it would be somewhere around 320 i believe...

Man, have to bring this back from the dead just for kicks.

RIGHT-CLICK SAVE AS

OWNAGE like a MOTHERPHUKER!!!!

ahem...stock vs highly modified is no fun...everyone knows the evo runs dog rich from the factory and can gain 20whp just from a fuel controller...lets try modded vs modded...speaking of ownages

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album42/EVO.wmv
http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album42/EVO1.wmv
http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album42/dig.mpg
Old Nov 19, 2004, 09:47 PM
Account Disabled

yeah i think evo driver backed off
Old Nov 19, 2004, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

I have a stock '03 evo - my buddy has an '04 with intake, tb exhaust, an mbc set at 19 psi, and a dynoflash... he walks me, and with the exhaust sounds much meaner - ditto for another friend with 264 cams and an exhaust and I'm not sure what else - but they don't walk on me ANYTHING like that video.

I have been owned by TWO cars since I bought the EVO - a (claimed) 600hp cobra, and a highly modded ws6 TA - and I have had a bunch of other cars that held their own, either pulled on me a little or vice-versa (modded civics, rsx's, camaros, boxster and boxster S's, M3's, a couple ratty-looking but fast DSM's, countless mustangs - you name it)...

But there is just no way in hell that a "lightly modded" SRT-4 pulled on that EVO like it did in the video. If that was for real, either the EVO driver was on the take, something was wrong with the car, or ... well, that Dodge would have to be HIGHLY modded to pull that hard on a stock evo. Seriously.

That's a propaganda video. I know a really, really cute girl that drives a stage one SRT-4... and she worships the EVO. Her Dodge is a really cool blue color, and I love it, too - not hatin' - but man, her stage one neon and my stock evo - close, but I pull on her every time.

I'm not a great driver, and neither is she - put Colin Mcrae in either car and it would make a difference, but I'm telling you, the srt-4, even in stage one upgrade, is a match, but not a killer of, the evo.

my seen it with my own two eyes .02
Old Nov 19, 2004, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, now those so-cal videos are more along the lines of what i'd expect to see. I might be a little biased, but comon, the EVO and SRT had their mods listed on the video which makes it a little more believable of a video too. A little at least.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Excuses, excuses...

he can't drive or he missed a shift or somethings wrong with his car... please...

owned is owned...
Old Nov 19, 2004, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

evo > srt from a dig *duh*

srt > evo from a roll *hello*
Old Nov 19, 2004, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah the evo is better than srt4
Old Nov 20, 2004, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

OH please stop already!!! We all know that the EVO > SRT4. Honestly if a person isn't the dumbest person in the world they would know, even a SRT4 owner would know the EVO > SRT4. One must be ignorant to think otherwise. Now having said that, I think the SRT4 is a great bang for the buck. It can definitely hang with an EVO.............in a straight line. If I couldn't afford an EVO, I would definitely get the SRT4. You must give respect where it's due. I truly think the SRT4 is a great car for straight and it's only like 21k.

Now with the SRT4 video, come on people. Stock EVO runs low-mid 13s. In that video, if the "lightly modded" SRT4 is truly pulling on the stock EVO by that much, that "lightly modded" SRT4 better be running 12s. Look at the way it pulls on the EVO!!! I don't know about you, but I haven't seen any "lightly modded" running 12s, but I do see true lightly modded EVO run 12s.

So if that video is really true and both drivers knows how to drive, then we have just learned that a lightly modded SRT4 can do 12s. Then I suggest we all EVO owners just trade in our cars and buy a SRT4 and "lightly mod it". Of course, that's if you only care about straight line.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 07:09 AM
Account Disabled

yeah, if you srt-4 guys are all about straight line, go buy a used 03 cobra
Old Nov 20, 2004, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

evo > srt from a dig *duh*

srt > evo from a roll *hello*
*hello*

did you even read my post?
Old Nov 20, 2004, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Man, have to bring this back from the dead just for kicks.

RIGHT-CLICK SAVE AS

OWNAGE like a MOTHERPHUKER!!!!

Hahaha sorry but that guy in the EVO can't drive worth ****. From a stop and all he had on the lead was that. If you want to run I like to see what my my EVO can do

It should have been more like this:

This topic is going to get close

Last edited by GOKOU; Nov 20, 2004 at 08:03 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 08:21 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by GOKOU
Hahaha sorry but that guy in the EVO can't drive worth ****. From a stop and all he had on the lead was that. If you want to run I like to see what my my EVO can do

It should have been more like this:

This topic is going to get close
lol now thats ownage

Quick Reply: trade in for srt4 or evo 8