Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Noob Transfer Case/Clutch Questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2004, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noob Transfer Case/Clutch Questions

Hi all,

I'm leaning on buying an evo next year around march. So I've been trying to do a lot of research so that I can make a good buy. I guess the biggest thing that I've noticed is that a lot of people are requiring a new clutch or their transfer case took a shat on them.

So I did a little bit of searching through the forums and found out that the transfer case problem occurs because of two main reasons: 1) replacing stock clutch with a aftermarket one, and 2) high rpm launches.

My questions are:
are there any reported problems with the 05s or is it too early to tell?
Also, what type of aftermarket clutch can work with the standard equipment so that it doesn't affect the transfer case - and are they any good? (I read something about ACT clutches but don't remember exactly)
And finally, if I were to replace the stock clutch with an aftermarket clutch that does affect the transfer case, is there an aftermarket transfer case? And how much would those cost?

Sorry I'm asking so much, but I searched and haven't found definite answers to my questions. I really want to buy an EVO but I want to be as prepared as possible. Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

I still have the stock clutch and TC. No problems so far even with launches, I don't really see a need for a heavier clutch unless you have so much power it's slipping..

ps- get the evo. :P
Old Nov 17, 2004, 11:00 PM

I want to think that its not a major problem since most people without problems don't post about them. But some people have posted that they had to replace their stuff many times, and they claim not to have driven their car too harshly. I dunno, I guess one side of me is telling me not to buy the car, but it's losing...

Wish it were march already.