Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Test Drove The Mr

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2004, 05:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Wink

I can believe the story. Hell, I got my 04 RS on a straight-up trade for a 98 LS1 Z28 Camaro. When I told the salesman that I wasn't sure if the Evo was fast enough for me, he said that if I could beat him from a roll to 100 mph on the highway out in front of the dealership then he'd do a straight up trade for my 75K mile Camaro and even throw in a couple extras. I couldn't believe it but he was absolutely convinced that the Evo could beat an old Camaro. Needless to say I smoked him on top end and he had to hold up his end of the deal. Things like this do happen sometimes, hard as it is to believe.

Last edited by EVO8LTW; Nov 21, 2004 at 05:18 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Derek Baker
Would you or would you not want a six speed if your on a race track?????? My call would be the six. More gears keep that car in the Power band plus higher ratio gears mean that the car will accelerate faster in a particular gear.
It depends on the ratios and on the track...a 6 speed is not always better than a 5 speed. I'm a driving instructor and have quite a bit of track experience. The important thing on the track is NOT the number of gears, but how well the gearing matches the critical corners on a track. Lots of 6-speed cars are geared so short that NONE of the gears work out well.

I find the gearing of the 5-speed perfect for the kinds of tracks I typically drive. I've never driven an MR on the track, but I have driven 6-speed STi's...and the gearing is definitely too short for a lot of circuits.

And I know that in Europe, the serious track junkies strongly favor the 5-speed Evos to the 6-speed.

Emre
Old Nov 21, 2004, 06:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by guitardave24
Interesting they let you test drive two MR's, let alone one.

Also, we're supposed to believe that you and the salesman raced at the dealership? Regardless, I'm sure he couldn't launch it for ****...

Anyway, glad you've made yourself feel better about not having an MR.
Beleve it or not, I had a salesmanager at a Dodge dealership challanging me to race him in an SRT-4 after checking one out when I was looking to dump my WRX at the time.

They'll do anything for a sale.

Even though I do kind of take the story with a grain of salt. Its still plausable.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kayaalp
It depends on the ratios and on the track...a 6 speed is not always better than a 5 speed. I'm a driving instructor and have quite a bit of track experience. The important thing on the track is NOT the number of gears, but how well the gearing matches the critical corners on a track. Lots of 6-speed cars are geared so short that NONE of the gears work out well.

I find the gearing of the 5-speed perfect for the kinds of tracks I typically drive. I've never driven an MR on the track, but I have driven 6-speed STi's...and the gearing is definitely too short for a lot of circuits.

And I know that in Europe, the serious track junkies strongly favor the 5-speed Evos to the 6-speed.

Emre
LOLOLOLOLOL.. you guys are hilarious... The EVO MR has the same ratio as the GSR from 1st to 3rd gear.. There is alot of resemblence in the gears until you are out of 4th.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All I know that when I buy a car myself the sales guy goes dancing on his head to sale it to me. If you have perfect credit and money they will do anything I mean anything to sale you a car including giving it to you over night to drive it around, heck I had my R32 for one full day before buying it, and I raced with a 63 bug black in Cali while the sales guy next to me. I always tell them hang on because you are going on fast ride. I don’t know if what he said is true but no reason to flame.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

But maybe the prob is with the car then...IF he's not lying..heh
Old Nov 21, 2004, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah sure, two MRs you say? And the dealer raced you? I believe you. I can walk on water. Don't you believe me?
Old Nov 21, 2004, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

well if the story you told is true thats cool.... I totally do agree with you though about the MR being a waste of money because for the little bit it is faster a few grand could make your gsr or RS way faster than it anyway....Plus that stupid vortex generator thing on the Mr's is gay...but no hating on the MR's do liek the rims and all....jus sayin if you wanted to save money dont get it....think to yourself is it really worth that much more to you??? RS and GSR all the way here
Old Nov 21, 2004, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

And all i know is i wouldnt want to buy one of those MR's after they have already had the **** beat out of them with hardly any miles on them....
Old Nov 21, 2004, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO WILLE
Today i went to Larry Roesch mitsubishi planing on trading in my evo 8 for the new mr. I went on the test drive and was not impressed at all. at first i thaught that the salse men was to scared to push the car but when i got in i noticed that the car really didint move the way evryone says they do. then i thaught maybe the car was messed up so i tested another one, same thing it felt so week and the ratios really sucked. while the salesmen was trying to convince me that the mr was faster than my evo 8 i gladly told him if he beat me in the car with the mr i would trade mine in and buy that one on the spot, after a while he agreed. the only things i have on my car is hks hi power exaust and an hks bov i whoped the **** out of him 3 times and finally was convinced that i would not bother. plus if u think about it the $7000 u save from an 8 to an mr can go into mods that will definatly make the car better performance wise. i would like to here your opinions on the mr and what u think about what ive just said.
Instead reading Car and Driver review of the MR I should just read your post
Old Nov 21, 2004, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rubelcon
LOLOLOLOLOL.. you guys are hilarious... The EVO MR has the same ratio as the GSR from 1st to 3rd gear.. There is alot of resemblence in the gears until you are out of 4th.

On a road course the only gears you use are 3rd-5th. Having to add an extra shift to go down the front straight would be a pain then to have to heel-toe all the way back down to third would be a pain.

I personally wouldn't want a 6 speed, too much unecessary shifting.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rubelcon
You shouldn't laugh so hard...you are only advertizing your lack of knowledge and experience in track driving!

Originally Posted by nrcooled
On a road course the only gears you use are 3rd-5th. Having to add an extra shift to go down the front straight would be a pain then to have to heel-toe all the way back down to third would be a pain...I personally wouldn't want a 6 speed, too much unecessary shifting.
Exactly. First and 2nd gears are basically never used on the track. Similarly, 5th and 6th gears are almost never used. Most tracks are basically between 3rd and 4th gear. By shortening 4th, you will be forced to shift in and out of 5th at times. This will hurt your lap times.

But why listen to me? I'm only a driving instructor...

Emre
Old Nov 21, 2004, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 04Evo8RS
....Plus that stupid vortex generator thing on the Mr's is gay...but no hating on the MR's do liek the rims and all....
The vortex generators are to help increase aerodynamic efficiency of the car, not to establish its sexuality.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Az3ar
All I know that when I buy a car myself the sales guy goes dancing on his head to sale it to me. If you have perfect credit and money they will do anything I mean anything to sale you a car including giving it to you over night to drive it around, heck I had my R32 for one full day before buying it, and I raced with a 63 bug black in Cali while the sales guy next to me. I always tell them hang on because you are going on fast ride. I don’t know if what he said is true but no reason to flame.
That's what I'm trying to say. Who cares what he thinks anyway. If you like it buy it if not don't.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Beleve it or not, I had a salesmanager at a Dodge dealership challanging me to race him in an SRT-4 after checking one out when I was looking to dump my WRX at the time.
There's a bit of a difference between a hot new $35K MR and a $21K SRT-4.

I still don't buy it. If by some crazy off chance it was true (or even partially true), it probably wasn't smart that he named the dealership.