Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

5 speed "stonger" than 6 speed?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2004, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 speed "stonger" than 6 speed?

I have been reading the posts latley on the whole 5 speed Vs. 6 Speed issue.

personally...for anyone who has never had a 6 speed....doy....everyone would like to have one. I have never had one...i would like one...but it doesn't kill me not to have one....such as most of you probably with the 5 speed.

anyway...i am in the market for a new EVO. and i'm trying to decide on the GS-R or the MR. i would definately rather have the features of the MR and i like everything it has....but.

how come every time i read a thread about the different trannys, there is someone who is BSing about how the 5 speed is "stronger" than the 6 speed. are people just jealous cause they don't have one or is there acutally evidence to support the 5 speed being a stonger tranny

i am definately going to be modding this car...and potentially making some big hp.

so what i would like to know is.....for those of you with some actual facts.

is the 5 speed stronger than the 6 speed and why?
Old Nov 21, 2004, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Im almost positive this has been posted before but here. 5 Speeds have always been, and will always be stronger then a 6 speed. Doesnt matter what the brand or who makes it, its a fact of life. Its naturally like that, design I guess not sure. But I am getting the 6 speed and putting 600 whp so I dont really think it matters mr.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Outlaw
5 Speeds have always been, and will always be stronger then a 6 speed. Doesnt matter what the brand or who makes it, its a fact of life. Its naturally like that, design I guess not sure.

dude honestly, that might be without a doubt the most vauge and ignorant statement i have ever heard. "Its a fact of life" is not the type of evidence i was looking for.

and you can't say that all of the ferrari's, high hp vipers, supras.....all have weak trannys.

please don't post unless you have some sort of idea of what you are talking about
Old Nov 21, 2004, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rez90
dude honestly, that might be without a doubt the most vauge and ignorant statement i have ever heard. "Its a fact of life" is not the type of evidence i was looking for.

and you can't say that all of the ferrari's, high hp vipers, supras.....all have weak trannys.

please don't post unless you have some sort of idea of what you are talking about

and also...i'm not trying to be a dick...sorry about the hostility...but if you knew why i was in the market for a new EVO....you'd be pissed off too.

have a good day...and don't take anything i say to heart...
Old Nov 21, 2004, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Im almost positive this has been posted before but here. 5 Speeds have always been, and will always be stronger then a 6 speed. Doesnt matter what the brand or who makes it, its a fact of life. Its naturally like that, design I guess not sure. But I am getting the 6 speed and putting 600 whp so I dont really think it matters mr.
Are you kidding? That is a rediculous statement.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

I followed the paces of the 3000gt/Stealth guys for years and they too had the discusssion of the 5-speed vs. 6-speed tranny.

From personal experience of owning both and following the forums at 3si.org, I prefer the strength of the 6-speed GETRAG in my VR-4 over the better gear ratio in my 5-speed daily driven SL.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

There is an entire other thread about this crap. Its not hard to go and post under that if he wants a more specific answer. Although everything I have read has told me 5 speeds in general are stronger then 6 speeds. I just cant remember why, sorry unlike you old farts I have a hell of a lot of college work and dont have time to waste away on the net surfing for information and ****. so ... Bah, to bad this forum has strict moderators.

Last edited by Outlaw; Nov 21, 2004 at 10:02 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rez90
and also...i'm not trying to be a dick...sorry about the hostility...but if you knew why i was in the market for a new EVO....you'd be pissed off too.

have a good day...and don't take anything i say to heart...

yikes.. why are you in the market for a new evo?

im guessing ur tranny blew up
Old Nov 21, 2004, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Our 6spd transmission is weaker because it uses the same case as the proven 5spd with similiar ratios 1-4 but with a shorter 5th and a double overdrive 6th. In using the the same case with the same ratios the gears themselves must be smaller hence the transmission is weaker.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JaReDbOy
yikes.. why are you in the market for a new evo?

im guessing ur tranny blew up

way way way way worse....you don't even want to know....
Old Nov 21, 2004, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Both 5-speed and 6-speed are strong and durable. Only people who abuse these tranny is the one who breaks it!
Old Nov 21, 2004, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

gears are thicker in a 5 speed tranny.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Does anybody know what actually makes the 6 speed for the MR? I know for a fact that Mitsubishi does not.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

getting there...thanks for the info boys

Last edited by Rez90; Nov 21, 2004 at 11:27 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 11:52 AM

Im almost positive this has been posted before but here. 5 Speeds have always been, and will always be stronger then a 6 speed. Doesnt matter what the brand or who makes it, its a fact of life. Its naturally like that, design I guess not sure.

do you honestly believe that?

Quick Reply: 5 speed "stonger" than 6 speed?