Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Question On Evo Insurance

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2002, 05:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey...how much would insurance on an imported evo cost? Do imported cars have higher insurance costs?
Old Dec 12, 2002, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

I pay friggin 3 grand a year for insurance...**** I'm screwed. I've also gotten 1 ticket and tottaled 2 cars, both werent my fault, but second was me alone so insurance charged me with fault.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ReIncarnate
I wondered if insurance will be more b/c of the car being AWD... a friend of mine wanted to get a WRX and had the $$ to get it and everything, however he went to see what his insurance would be on it and it was like $200 more a month that he paid at current. He said they told him all the AWD parts are very expensive to replace should something happen, so they are more expensive to insure. Can anyone confirm or refute this?
I doubt so, but it sounds like a good excuse for the company to charge more. My 2.5RS was about $80 more a month then my Civic when I got the car 2 years ago. This was going from a 80HP (??) '95 CX to a 165HP '01 2.5RS. I bet the extra cost was because I was moving to a faster, newer, more expensive car... not the AWD.

If AWD is so expensive, then I shouldn't have been able to pick the car up for under 20 grand, which is less expensive than a lot of non-AWD cars out there.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

I checked with my insurance about a 3 weeks ago when we bought my wife's outlander. This is state farm. I have an excellent record and will be driving as with the rates of a 25 year old will get in about 1 month...So insurance on the evo will go up 8-10 bucks a month from what it is at...my insurance is currently at about 65 bucks a month with my 95 eagle talon TSI. So if i didn't get an evo my insuarnce would go down to probably about 45-55 bucks a month. So I am really lookin at no gain in terms of getting the evo. Guys if they are saying like one guy on here said...up 200 a a month...unless you are 16 they are rapin ya!!!
Old Dec 12, 2002, 11:04 PM

Just a few things i've learned over the past couple of years I thought i'd share.....
- Insurance is more if your car is AWD.
- not domestic = more insurance. Keep in mind from what i understand the evo VIII is going to be released in limited numbers during it's debut. That will also increase the premiums big time because all of the parts for the car are going to be even harder to get.
- If you are under 25 or even have a minor traffic ticket, check out some prices on insurance before you make a downpayment. I'm 22 and have 4 speeding tickets so......i won't be buying the evo for a little while yet From my experience, if you do get a speeding ticket, fight it no matter what! you have absolutely nothing to lose....whether it is small or big, it does increase your insurance contrary to what a lot of cops will tell you.
Old Dec 13, 2002, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

Ok i have a tech question on insurance. I called my comapny today and had them quote me for a new Rex.
its double what I pay now.. aparently my 2 speeding tickets in the past have seriously affected my rating for a "high power car"

now A while ago, The comapny quoted me on a lancer b/c i told themk that was the base car, and it was little more then my current price.

My question is: if i tell the company i justy own a lancer with a 4 cyl (technically true) for a better rate, does that amount to insurance fraud? or would they simply not honor it if I made a claim??
Think the e8 will be rated as high as the rex from the getgo, or do we need to wait for kids to start wrapping them around trees?
Old Dec 13, 2002, 01:40 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Thwack
My question is: if i tell the company i justy own a lancer with a 4 cyl (technically true) for a better rate, does that amount to insurance fraud? or would they simply not honor it if I made a claim??
Nah, I don't think that would be insurance fraud but your second statement is exactly what's going to happen.
Old Dec 13, 2002, 01:48 PM

Well they would figure it out once they entered you VIN in the computer. Whenever I've signed up for insurance it was required and they pull up the exact make and model as well as any safety features the car has etc.
Old Dec 15, 2002, 12:06 AM

Yup bring the KY buddy cuz if you pull that they can and probably will nail u to the wall for insurance fraud....becuz that's exactly what it is. Depending on what state you are in you will likely be looking at jail time. You would also screw yourself for a long time becuz most insurance companies will ask questions about false claims...if you have insurance fraud charge from the past...you will have a hell of a time finding a company to insure you. The evo8 will be rated just as high as the Rex if not worse. Mainly limited numbers for the first year, so until it is build without limits the prices won't go down much.
VIN number are entered and will automatically show them immediately what the car is.....my advice, if the above hasn't detered you, you'd be crazy to think this would work for a second. If you even try you will run into some serious problems. If jain doesn't scare you, check out what it costs for a lawyer these days 2 speeding tickets? I got 4....so i think i'm almost an expert with insurance now....i've had no choice but look into just about every angle...hope this helps!
Old Dec 16, 2002, 12:28 AM
Evolving Member

You'd never get a chance to make it insurance fraud, because when they enter the VIN, it brings up EXACTLY what you're driving.

However, I don't think the Evo will be as expensive for insurance as a S2000. Sure insurance companies charge extra to insure a 4-wheel drive, but they REALLY stick it to you if you drive a two-seater convertible! Especially one as fast as the S2000.

If I had to guess, I'd say that if you'd pay $500 for an S2000, then you're probably looking at 375-400 for an Evo. Maybe not that much, if you get in on the intial batch. I know that insurance rates went up on WRX's after about 6 months after they premiered. By that time, several kids had tried to climb trees in them, and both the law and insurance figured out that it wasn't a sedan, it was a hot rod!
Old Dec 16, 2002, 03:42 AM

may get a break too depending on how well they fair up against the crash tests. I know the new Subs have some new safety stuff out. Time will tell I guess...hope it isn't a retarded price but i think you are right tux. I know it will definately be less than the S2000.
On a side note, some insurance companies will let you hang for the fraud even if they know by the VIN that you are trying to pull one off on them. May come as a surprise, but these people make their living off of your misery. Good luck!
Old Dec 16, 2002, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by flynt
may get a break too depending on how well they fair up against the crash tests. I know the new Subs have some new safety stuff out. Time will tell I guess...hope it isn't a retarded price but i think you are right tux. I know it will definately be less than the S2000.
On a side note, some insurance companies will let you hang for the fraud even if they know by the VIN that you are trying to pull one off on them. May come as a surprise, but these people make their living off of your misery. Good luck!
Insurance agents....making a living off my misery? NO!? You lie!!!

If you want, I can throw more sarcasm onto that.
Old Dec 16, 2002, 10:30 PM

Don't know what i was thinking Tux.