Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sport Mitsu Orl FL -

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2004, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Sport Mitsu Orl FL -

First, I have never bad mouth Sport regarding their service or responsiveness to my needs as a customer.

Way back when I had my GST I took it to sport for a filter change and some other minor work. When I got it back I drove off the lot and had an intercooler hose pop off. No big deal, except when I looked under the hood and noticed that the clamp had been removed to put the air filter in. The mechanic claimed that there wasn’t a clamp on there when I brought it in. I know it was there; otherwise I would have had issue with the pipe coming off numerous times before that.

Ignoring this small incident; I went to sport late last year on a recommendation of one of their employees to assist me with the second gear grinding issues I had since I bought the EVO. They appeared genuine in their concerns to help me get my issues resolved.

Before ever going to sport, I told the service manager of the mods that I had and he didn't seem worried that the exhaust, filter or BOV would have caused any of issues that I had been having with my car. I have never lied about any mods to my car or removed any when going in for service. Additionally, I have all of the receipts from my mods and the service records showing the mods were done after any reports of issues with my car.

I went in to sport a couple of times with the same complaint; second gear grinds etc. None of the times that I went in with this issue did Sport offer to get the tranny looked at or inspected. Once I was even told that they would look at it but for a charge of 800.00; the labor for a clutch install. They stated that if they didn't find anything or couldn't diagnose the issue that I would still be charged. This might have been ok but they also stated that they have had another evo in the shop with grind and didn't see any problems with the tranny. etc etc etc. I would also have to pay for a new clutch since I wouldn’t want to pay for the labor a second time when the clutch went out.

I had also gone to sport with complaints of another issue with the car as well; sounds from the TO bearing when shifting. This could possibly be related to the issues from the tranny that started when I bought the car. I was also dismissed and offered no assistance. They told me that it was a wear item and not covered, etc etc etc.

After getting shafted on the issues with the tranny I finally decided to get the work done and pay to have 2nd gear fixed. I called Sport and mentioned that I was going to get the work done by Shep, and to see if they offered to fix the car under warranty, since it was now not shifting into second quite freqeuntly; They offered no assistance. But when I asked them how much it would cost to pull the tranny for me and have me ship it to shep, they gladly gave me a half way decent cost to remove and reinstall the tranny.

I opted to go somewhere else to get the work done on my car. After getting my car back the Transfer case blew. Sucks to me me right? :bash:

I took my car to sport since it was close to my house and I knew more than likely it was the transfer case. I also had several other issues which needed to be addressed at the same time.
  1. EGR Code
  2. Horn not working and SRS light on
  3. Fan Controller recall
  4. Incorrect weight recall

I took the car in on Saturday morning first thing, and was told that they couldn’t look at it on Saturday because they were limited on staff. I was told to bring it back on Monday morning.

I returned with my car on Monday morning. After talking to a rep at the dealership and explaining what happened; the first thing they asked was if I had an after market clutch etc.. I never complained or *****ed, I just wanted my car back and fixed. They also never even offered to see if it could be warranted; since I don't race and don't abuse the car etc etc etc. I have been nothing but honest with them.

Sport did some investigating and didn’t find anything at first. They ran it through the gears on the lift to see if they could hear where the noise was coming from and stated that they heard a noise coming from the tranny. They wanted to drain the tranny fluid to see what it looked like. I told them I don’t think its the tranny but to just go ahead and drain and refill it anyway. At this time I also asked for them to save a fluid sample of the fluid from the transfer case, (I still have the tranny sample from when I first bought the car and was having issues with 2nd gear.) I was going to have the fluid independently tested to see if it was the improper fluid or not. Needless to say they drained the fluid from the transfer case before they could get my my sample. (Ill chalk that one up to timing or miscommunication.)

After three weeks of waiting on the car it was finally done; they didn’t have the proper GL4 fluid that the manual states is needed for the tranny. I had to wait for them to order it and get it in before they could finish the work on my car.

Sport did give me a good deal on the transfer case, took a little bit off of the labor and provided me with a loaner car. The grand total was 2700 and change.

Now the reason I’m posting this is; another person that knows my roommate took her car to sport for some repair. I don’t know exactly what happened and I don’t care to get involved with her problems. From my understanding she was having some service issues and said that she knew of someone (me) that had similar issues. The service rep replied with something to the effect ' oh Steve?, he broke his car and that was his fault', we had nothing to do with that.

What kind of **** is that?

I have never been to the track, I don’t street race, and I have always taken good care of my cars. If you ask me this is a sh!tty service department (With the exception of the parts department), and just another shop that lives up to mitsu's poor reputation, lack of customer service and non existent warranty.

I recommend everyone in Orlando going to Holler Mitsu for their service and other needs.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 07:00 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has your fluids been changed by anyone prior to the problem? You really have to use GL4 for trans because the additives in GL5 will eat it up. Dont' forget the rear diff is straight sae 90 which I could only find by ordering from mitsubishi directly.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

There was a discrepancy of what fluid was put in the transfer case but it was advised by Mitsu that the type of fluid that put in was adequeate.

This isn't really about that; it's about their poor attititude and service.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:29 AM
dru

Steve,

Its Mike here from Sport. I didnt know that you were unhappy with us. I thought everything was taken care of. Shawn told me that your trans was not covered because you had an aftermarket tranny and clutch? Also he said something about the shop who removed your tranny when you sent it to shep may have put in the wrong fluid?

The girl that came into the sales office was very rude to all of us and the GM (even though we are not service). She came in telling us about how her father was an attorney and that she needed immediate solution. She then started talking about her friends boyfriend who was fed up with us not having his car done yet. We simply told her that your car was in the shop due to things that had been done to it, and that the fluid was taking a while to get here.

I am sorry that you are not happy with our dealership. I wish there was something we could do to eliminate your bad opinion of us. I know our service department tries to be cool with the evo's that come into the shop. Employees here drive 4 EVO's and all are modded. We service them in the shop. I know most of the EVO's in town do their service here. We have the most experienced Mitsubishi techs in the area.

As far as Holler Mitsubishi goes, they are just about out of business. They sold the Longwood store and the Winter Park store concentrates on Kia.

In any event I told Shawn you were unhappy and he was very surprised.
Anyway see you around bro......
Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:38 AM

Holler Is Great, Never Gave Me Sh_t.

Plus I Got Tire Replacement For Life
Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:47 AM
Account Disabled

come to clearwater lokey is great
Old Nov 24, 2004, 01:05 PM

im in the market for an evo now and live in orlando im going to sport mitsu prob sometime next wk
Old Nov 24, 2004, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ seems not to bad, considering the guy logged on, and responded in a calm, acceptable matter. what the hell do they care if you go there or not. most places around here think that they are doing me a favor by being the people that fix, or maintain my car.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 06:26 PM
dru

Actually we do care if our customers come back. Repeat business and refferals are what keep a dealership going.

I know Steve from the DSM community. Even if he didnt come back to service his car with us he is cool by me.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stevEVO8
First, I have never bad mouth Sport regarding their service or responsiveness to my needs as a customer.

Way back when I had my GST I took it to sport for a filter change and some other minor work. When I got it back I drove off the lot and had an intercooler hose pop off. No big deal, except when I looked under the hood and noticed that the clamp had been removed to put the air filter in. The mechanic claimed that there wasn’t a clamp on there when I brought it in. I know it was there; otherwise I would have had issue with the pipe coming off numerous times before that.

Ignoring this small incident; I went to sport late last year on a recommendation of one of their employees to assist me with the second gear grinding issues I had since I bought the EVO. They appeared genuine in their concerns to help me get my issues resolved.

Before ever going to sport, I told the service manager of the mods that I had and he didn't seem worried that the exhaust, filter or BOV would have caused any of issues that I had been having with my car. I have never lied about any mods to my car or removed any when going in for service. Additionally, I have all of the receipts from my mods and the service records showing the mods were done after any reports of issues with my car.

I went in to sport a couple of times with the same complaint; second gear grinds etc. None of the times that I went in with this issue did Sport offer to get the tranny looked at or inspected. Once I was even told that they would look at it but for a charge of 800.00; the labor for a clutch install. They stated that if they didn't find anything or couldn't diagnose the issue that I would still be charged. This might have been ok but they also stated that they have had another evo in the shop with grind and didn't see any problems with the tranny. etc etc etc. I would also have to pay for a new clutch since I wouldn’t want to pay for the labor a second time when the clutch went out.

I had also gone to sport with complaints of another issue with the car as well; sounds from the TO bearing when shifting. This could possibly be related to the issues from the tranny that started when I bought the car. I was also dismissed and offered no assistance. They told me that it was a wear item and not covered, etc etc etc.

After getting shafted on the issues with the tranny I finally decided to get the work done and pay to have 2nd gear fixed. I called Sport and mentioned that I was going to get the work done by Shep, and to see if they offered to fix the car under warranty, since it was now not shifting into second quite freqeuntly; They offered no assistance. But when I asked them how much it would cost to pull the tranny for me and have me ship it to shep, they gladly gave me a half way decent cost to remove and reinstall the tranny.

I opted to go somewhere else to get the work done on my car. After getting my car back the Transfer case blew. Sucks to me me right? :bash:

I took my car to sport since it was close to my house and I knew more than likely it was the transfer case. I also had several other issues which needed to be addressed at the same time.
  1. EGR Code
  2. Horn not working and SRS light on
  3. Fan Controller recall
  4. Incorrect weight recall
I took the car in on Saturday morning first thing, and was told that they couldn’t look at it on Saturday because they were limited on staff. I was told to bring it back on Monday morning.

I returned with my car on Monday morning. After talking to a rep at the dealership and explaining what happened; the first thing they asked was if I had an after market clutch etc.. I never complained or *****ed, I just wanted my car back and fixed. They also never even offered to see if it could be warranted; since I don't race and don't abuse the car etc etc etc. I have been nothing but honest with them.

Sport did some investigating and didn’t find anything at first. They ran it through the gears on the lift to see if they could hear where the noise was coming from and stated that they heard a noise coming from the tranny. They wanted to drain the tranny fluid to see what it looked like. I told them I don’t think its the tranny but to just go ahead and drain and refill it anyway. At this time I also asked for them to save a fluid sample of the fluid from the transfer case, (I still have the tranny sample from when I first bought the car and was having issues with 2nd gear.) I was going to have the fluid independently tested to see if it was the improper fluid or not. Needless to say they drained the fluid from the transfer case before they could get my my sample. (Ill chalk that one up to timing or miscommunication.)

After three weeks of waiting on the car it was finally done; they didn’t have the proper GL4 fluid that the manual states is needed for the tranny. I had to wait for them to order it and get it in before they could finish the work on my car.

Sport did give me a good deal on the transfer case, took a little bit off of the labor and provided me with a loaner car. The grand total was 2700 and change.

Now the reason I’m posting this is; another person that knows my roommate took her car to sport for some repair. I don’t know exactly what happened and I don’t care to get involved with her problems. From my understanding she was having some service issues and said that she knew of someone (me) that had similar issues. The service rep replied with something to the effect ' oh Steve?, he broke his car and that was his fault', we had nothing to do with that.

What kind of **** is that?

I have never been to the track, I don’t street race, and I have always taken good care of my cars. If you ask me this is a sh!tty service department (With the exception of the parts department), and just another shop that lives up to mitsu's poor reputation, lack of customer service and non existent warranty.

I recommend everyone in Orlando going to Holler Mitsu for their service and other needs.
I have taken my car there 2 times for CF wing replacement. They trated me nice but they did not paint the wing correctly and told me they were going to fix it and provide me with a loaner. Up to this date i have not herd from them, this was like 2 months ago . After hearing what you have been through, that sucks that you had to pay even though u had the problem since you had the car. There is a 5th and 2nd gear syncro TSB that they ARE WELL AWARE OFF! The factory rep showed me all the TSB's and offered to fix them under warranty if i had a problem. I would honestly go back and fight that b/c its not right. Now im having second thoughts of even taking my car back there if forbid something happened(knock on wood).Well good luck and i hope you get everything resolvved. By the way steve what caused your TC to go?Dont let them bring you down like that knowing that there a TSB's for the grinding. Pm if you want more info, ill be glad to help!

Last edited by EVIL_EVO_VIII; Nov 25, 2004 at 01:09 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dru
Actually we do care if our customers come back. Repeat business and refferals are what keep a dealership going.

I know Steve from the DSM community. Even if he didnt come back to service his car with us he is cool by me.
Let me guess something? I have seen a few modified Evos at the dealership when i have gone. I bet that anything happened to your car and the other you would not have a problem getting it fixed under warranty even thou these cars are modified, if thats the deal that is NOT fair for everyone else.No hard feelings, this is my opinion on what has happened to Steve
Old Nov 25, 2004, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVIL_EVO_VIII
Let me guess something? I have seen a few modified Evos at the dealership when i have gone. I bet that anything happened to your car and the other you would not have a problem getting it fixed under warranty even thou these cars are modified, if thats the deal that is NOT fair for everyone else.No hard feelings, this is my opinion on what has happened to Steve
that is what i feel
Old Nov 25, 2004, 08:03 PM
dru

evil evo,

If by chance the service department forgot to call you about your wing, I am sure if you remind them of it, they will take care of you. I work for sales, but if you want, PM me and I will arrange it for you.

Also you guys have to realize that warranty work done on any EVO's has to be okayed by the district service rep, who in Orlando is Steve Garcia. Its easy to black out this dealership and that dealership for voided warranties on modded cars, but most of the time its not even a call made by any person at the dealership.

Also, I have seen more than a few EVO's in the dealership with AFC's and boost controllers getting warranty work done.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

(After hearing what you have been through, that sucks that you had to pay even though u had the problem since you had the car. There is a 5th and 2nd gear syncro TSB that they ARE WELL AWARE OFF! The factory rep showed me all the TSB's and offered to fix them under warranty if i had a problem. ) Posted by: Evil Evo VIII....

This is what I was thinking from the start.. I know a couple guys that had thier trannys repaired ref the grind. Why would this dealership not honor that? I know Steve from when he lived down here, and I know that he doesn't dog his car... I would yell at him for driving like a grandma... He's very meticulous about his ride and it disturbs me knowing the hell that he's going through.. Hang in there bro... John......
Old Nov 26, 2004, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Also, I have seen more than a few EVO's in the dealership with AFC's and boost controllers getting warranty work done.[/QUOTE]

No offense but this B.S. I had the factory rep tell me personally that they would not cover any modified Evos under warranty if they come in for service. I was going to buy an Evo last year from this dealership and i asked the sales rep if they would deny warranty and he told me that it would be covered under warranty only if the techs installed the parts, keep in mind that this was last year. I want to modify my car but if this is going to be an issue then im having second thoughts about it b/c im not going to go through what Steve went to get warranty work done and have it denied when there are TSBs out for the problems.I talked to the service rep and he told me the only thing they would not have a problem with was a Turbo Timer. I dont know what the policy is with a catback exhaust or intake. And for sure i know that asking to have clutch replaced is out of the question, not that mine needs service. The factory rep was nice but hearing that directly from him about modified Evos then i wil take his word over anyone else in the dealership.Again, no offense to you or the dealership.