Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need some help with Evos and Racing

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help with Evos and Racing

I know this is a bit out of place, but I'm looking for as much help as I can on as many boards as I can.

1.Is it legal to have a street car with Roll-Cage and Harnesses?
2.Would routing an air-intake to suck air from above the hood work just as well as a CAI? (Won’t need to worry about water, dirt and mud).
3.Lancer Evolution III-IV (see paragraphs)
4.Lancer Evolution VIII
5.Mitsubishi Lancer
6.RallyX and ClubRally web forms, schedules and links

3: Any way, so for over a year now I have been trying to figure out how to “legalize” an Evolution for MINIMAL street use so the car can be used for RallyX and if I ever win the lotto Club-Rally. The reason for this is I have nither money, space nor desire to have a truck and trialer. I've hit a brick wall. Also, I think taking a Mirage and converting it into a Evo would be impractical, running costs close to a new Evolution VIII.

4: I haven’t fallowed used prices for a while now, however what seems to be the going rate on an Evolution VIII? I’m also concerned about the demise of Mitsubishi Motors of Japan. If the company tanks, will prices for the Evolution VIII sky rocket much like the ill fated Toyota Supra of legend or will the prices of the Evolution VIII drop like a brick? I would imagine for a time values will drop sharply because of near perfect substitutes in the WRX and STI. (I consider the Lancer Evolution between the two cars as far as price and performance goes). Also I think price would drop because people would no longer be able to afford the repairs seeing they will not have a company to file their fraudulent claims to. In short can I find a beat Evolution VIII close too, or under $10,000 yet? What about if I wait till next summer? Would Importing an Evolution VII be possible and economical?

5. I have looked at many cars now and destroyed two Dodge Shadows. I have reached the conclusion that, for racing, it would be wiser to purchase a “newer” car for a little bit more money then an older one. The logic is that many of the “good” race cars seem to catch a small premium that isn’t in proportion to their worth, the Nissan 240sx would be a prime example of this. Other times, you pay $2,000 for say a Scirocco and you will be dumping more money into it to keep the car running just from age not to mention wear and tear from racing. Also older cars have the problem of finding body panels, upgrade parts and just good old fashion replacement parts. Lastly, if something “major” happens most local mechanics are of no help.

For these reasons I have taken a strong interest in the Mitsubishi Lancer. The car was released State side in 2002 and because of financial blunders of Mitsubishi Motors the going rate for a Lancer is almost as low as $4,500. This is very attractive. The Lancer does suffer some crippling blows, mainly its 2.0 Chrysler derived engine. If I recall correctly the engine puts out a boring 130hp is fairly unresponsive and lags horribly on the inclines. However there is hope. Luckily if I am understanding the way cars compete against one another in RallyX and AutoCross the Lancer isn’t dragging its heals TO BAD. Additionally I would imagine the Lancer could make use of its bigger brother’s large aftermarket. Would a Lancer be able to take advantage of such things like suspension, sway bars, interior work along with body panels? How is the Lancer’s aftermarket these days, would a good chunk of change be needed to get it up to 200hp? Modifications would put it in an open category to be squashed wouldn’t it?

6: I would like to start attending events and get a better understanding of how the sport actually works so if you have any links or information then please go ahead and post it. Thanks

Rob Garand
Old Nov 24, 2004, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no law that I'm aware of that prohibits putting a full cage in a car for street use.

There *ARE* laws about belts though. I know of only one make of belts that are street legal (DOT approved) and those are Schroth belts. Not cheap @ about $300/set

As someone who's driven my rally car to events and back, I SERIOUSLY advise against it.

If you want to go play in rally, it is MUCH cheaper to buy an existing (logbooked and current) car than it is to build one, trust me on this as I've done both.