Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Those who know their engine compartments well, how to get to waste gate rod?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2004, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those who know their engine compartments well, how to get to waste gate rod?

Here's the story. I purchased and installed all the parts listed in my sig below. The car runs fine, but I only get 15psi of boost max. Per Richard at FP I disco'ed the hose from the waste gate actuator rod (gold can below turbo) to see if it was a mechanical or boost control issue. He said I should see up to 35psi, but I only get 20-21.

Now they say to pull the waste gate acuator rod off the turbo and make sure it's pushing at least 2mm worth of force on the arm. I can see it, I know where it is, but the heat shield is in the way.

For those of you who've dug into your engines before you know that O2 sensor goes through the lower heat shield into the O2 housing, making the shield next to impossible to remove without taking out the turbo, or the O2 sensor.

Okay, I don't have an O2 sensor socket, and I don't really want to pull the radiator and turbo again unless I have to. Does anyone know a nice trick for removing this shield? Please don't tell me that you never put yours back in, etc, just some advice please as I'm pretty ticked that this install went so well but the part might be out of adjustment.

Thanks,
Sam
Old Nov 24, 2004, 05:50 PM
Account Disabled

You can get it off by notching the heat shield on the lower portion near the O2 sensor. You'll want a decent set of shears to get through the metal. You can cut just enough to get the wire through, but would recommend making two cuts to match to the width of the hole. Put a piece of cardboard against the engine side of the radiator (to protect the fins)and there's just enough room to wiggle it out. Getting it back in will be a little more difficult without putting excess force against the pin holding the actuator rod. In the end, I would highly recommend pulling the radiator out and you should have plenty of clearance to get where you need to be.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

Good idea, I'll try to get my tin snips down there and see if I can make it happen. The turbo from FP doesn't use a retaining pin, rather a slotted ring clip thingy. We'll see what happens, I just hope it fixes the problem.

Sam