Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How many Evo RS owners here?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2004, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 97itr153
The ultimate Evo for the hard-core enthusiast is the RS, NOT the MR! I drove both cars at the dealership back to back.

RS 5-sp vs MR 6-sp
The Evo's powerband is so wide, and the Ratios so close that the 6-sp just adds weight and $.

MR Bilstein Shocks
These are definately better than the standard Evo shocks. Better Ride with NO sacrifice in handling. If anything, The Bilsteins handle better on bumpy surfaces. On the other hand, RS owners can easily swap shocks if the need be.

BBS Wheels
These are nice, BUT you can get ENKEI RPF1s for your RS cheap and still shed the same amount of weight. You're probably gonna need two sets of wheels anyway if you track the car of if you use it in the winter.

Wing vs no-Wing
Stealth vs High Speed handling. RS owners can put the wing on easily if the need be.

A/C
Both cars have it so you wont boil in the summer

Stereo
NO the RS does not have the MRs crappy stereo. If you MUST have good stereo, put it in yourself. RS comes prewired.

Power Windows, locks, sound deadening, etc.
Who needs this garbage?

Lightweight Aluminium Roof
Both cars have it plus the RS gets a lightweight Trunk as well!

Rear Cross Bar
RS has it.

HIDs
EVO HIDs are a joke. My 05 Legacy GT's non-HIDs have better lighting !

Weight diff.
RS is 88 lbs lighter than MR!

Exclusivity
Both cars will be sold in small quantities.

$7k
That is the price diff between MR and RS. Is it worth it? Not for me!

good post
Old Nov 25, 2004, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im also seriously considering the RS over the MR. I agree with everything posted on here except one thing that I feel the gsr and MR have over the RS.....ABS. Might not matter to some, and I know the RS still stops in a phenominally short distance, but stopping a car is more important to me thanhow fast its going. How noticeable is the loss of ABS?
Old Nov 25, 2004, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

My dealer has a white 05 RS coming in in jan 1, 2005.
Wish I can get it but I'd have to sell my SRT first
Old Nov 25, 2004, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by EvoRider36
Im also seriously considering the RS over the MR. I agree with everything posted on here except one thing that I feel the gsr and MR have over the RS.....ABS. Might not matter to some, and I know the RS still stops in a phenominally short distance, but stopping a car is more important to me thanhow fast its going. How noticeable is the loss of ABS?
Usually, ABS will not decrease stopping distances but it will make it easier especially for the novice to stop fast while maintaining steering control. In Deep Snow, Gravel or Mud, ABS will actually INCREASE stopping distances. But as I said earlier, I'd like to have a system that I can turn on or off on-the-fly.

In the Ice/Snow Racing events that i compete in during the Winter, Most of the fast guys disable the ABS system for faster lap times!

Last edited by 97itr153; Nov 25, 2004 at 02:06 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 02:08 PM

I love my RS

I was also in the same dilemma. Studying and wishing between the STI and MR. So I sold my S2000 and bought my RS for 25,700 because my family works at the dealership. I like being separated from all the other EVO's by having no wing and unpainted door handles and mirrors, etc. It's like driving a "sleeper." So less attention from the local law enforcement and the cocky, redneck, V8's. However, I also enjoy having a smaller car payment, which enables me to spend more money for parts. I took one look at the MR and wanted to get it, but realized that the bang for the buck contest goes to the RS. If you can live without the luxury of power windows, leather, and power locks,
the RS is a great choice. All the electronics is just more stuff that can go wrong. So, imagine the money your saving between the RS and the STI or MR. The performance stats are so similar and you can dump all that money into the rs and destroy the majority of cars on the road. So depending on what you want, test drive them all, then decide. Good luck. So why are you selling the SRT-4?
Old Nov 25, 2004, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Xs2000
I was also in the same dilemma. Studying and wishing between the STI and MR. So I sold my S2000 and bought my RS for 25,700 because my family works at the dealership. I like being separated from all the other EVO's by having no wing and unpainted door handles and mirrors, etc. It's like driving a "sleeper." So less attention from the local law enforcement and the cocky, redneck, V8's. However, I also enjoy having a smaller car payment, which enables me to spend more money for parts. I took one look at the MR and wanted to get it, but realized that the bang for the buck contest goes to the RS. If you can live without the luxury of power windows, leather, and power locks,
the RS is a great choice. All the electronics is just more stuff that can go wrong. So, imagine the money your saving between the RS and the STI or MR. The performance stats are so similar and you can dump all that money into the rs and destroy the majority of cars on the road. So depending on what you want, test drive them all, then decide. Good luck. So why are you selling the SRT-4?

I'm bored of it, plus I want something with better handling and sharper steering.

I wanted the RS all along, but gave into my impatience and went for the SRT4 instead. Now that my finances have improved and now that I am comfortable with my payments I want the RS. Even the mitsu salesman who knows me to me I should have waited and not jumped the gun. But then on the other hand I have a lot of good moments and memories of the SRT
Old Nov 25, 2004, 03:42 PM

i got an RS and i love it,

if your a person that doens't need all thoes creature comforts, then go RS plus i think they look the best =)
Old Nov 25, 2004, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

I've been driving a Weightless White RS for about a month and a half now and all I can say is that it was probably the best decision carwise that I've ever made. Incredible acceleration, superb handling, fantastic braking and confidence inspiring reflexes make this simply a phenomenal automobile.

Without the wing is looks like a European sports sedan and less likely to draw unwanted attention from police or boy racers, both of which usually only end up being trouble.

The car is a wonderful daily driver, with a wolf waiting under the hood begging you to let him loose. Every time I get in the car I feel a mix of excitement and joy knowing that I finally have a car that can outdrive me rather than the other way around. Don't miss the power windows, installed a good stereo for when I get lonely but most of the time I'd rather listen to the car. It would have been nice to have power mirrors since everytime I get the car washed I have to re-adjust the passenger side one.

I'm 42 years old and this car makes me feel like a teenager again.

The EVO RS, it's not your father's Oldsmobile.........hehehehehehe......
Old Nov 25, 2004, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

God I cant wait to get my RS!!
Old Nov 25, 2004, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

anyhows i'm gonna put up the SRT4 for sale. If I can get what I want for it then I'll buy the 05 white RS in a heartbeat, then, buschur racing stage 4, here I come!!!
Old Nov 25, 2004, 11:32 PM
Evolving Member

I love my RS, it is my commuting superweapon. It eats the Norcal twisties alive. It has no fluff or distractions, I don't plan on getting a radio either. And you have plenty of $$$ left over to mod it if that is what you want. You will not regret it.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Xs2000
So why are you selling the SRT-4?
I dunno if this question was directed at me or Blue Evo 8, but I'm selling my SRT-4 for a couple reasons...

• I have the Mopar stage 2 turbo kit and a 3" exhaust. Effectively managing 290whp/310wtq at the front wheels is nearly impossible with street tires...much less the stock 6" pizza cutters and factory clutch. I think I'm close to the streetable limits of a FWD drivetrain. With AWD essentially the sky is the limit.
  • In order to improve the handling on my car to the point I want would mean spending close to $3,000 in suspension parts....coilovers, wider rims/tires, lateral control arms, stronger sway bars, etc. In my opinion that money would be better spent on a new car like an Evo or STi that would easily outhandle an SRT-4 of the showroom floor if driven properly.
  • I want a car that doesn't become a safety hazard when it rains. Right now in the Bay Area there's a thick fog/slight rain (I haven't figured out which one yet) and driving my car is ridiculous. First gear is a joke at anything more than 1/8 throttle, and 2nd gear is the same at anything over about 1/4 throttle. My car is an '04 with LSD. My tires have plenty of tread, and my car is lowered with Eibach springs. Bad traction is just something I have to deal with in the the rain.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steiner
I dunno if this question was directed at me or Blue Evo 8, but I'm selling my SRT-4 for a couple reasons...

• I have the Mopar stage 2 turbo kit and a 3" exhaust. Effectively managing 290whp/310wtq at the front wheels is nearly impossible with street tires...much less the stock 6" pizza cutters and factory clutch. I think I'm close to the streetable limits of a FWD drivetrain. With AWD essentially the sky is the limit.
  • In order to improve the handling on my car to the point I want would mean spending close to $3,000 in suspension parts....coilovers, wider rims/tires, lateral control arms, stronger sway bars, etc. In my opinion that money would be better spent on a new car like an Evo or STi that would easily outhandle an SRT-4 of the showroom floor if driven properly.
  • I want a car that doesn't become a safety hazard when it rains. Right now in the Bay Area there's a thick fog/slight rain (I haven't figured out which one yet) and driving my car is ridiculous. First gear is a joke at anything more than 1/8 throttle, and 2nd gear is the same at anything over about 1/4 throttle. My car is an '04 with LSD. My tires have plenty of tread, and my car is lowered with Eibach springs. Bad traction is just something I have to deal with in the the rain.

I think the question was originally directed at me, but feel free to give your two cents.
I'm blue Rocket from the srtforums.

I have a guy from Honda-Tech inquiring about my car...lets see how it goes
Old Nov 26, 2004, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

I am on my way this morning to get a 05 RS my 04 was lemonlawed. I am having buyers remorse before I even get there. I will be paying cash and this is a lot of money to part with. Your post inspire my to pull the trigger, this is a difficult decision. I looked for a 04 first they are all gone (at least I thought). The 05 is way more that the 04 RS.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RSGuy
If you're looking used, only the RS had the front helical limited slip up front in the 03's and 04's.
There was no RS for the '03 model year.

6 months in, and I still love driving my RS everyday.

d

Quick Reply: How many Evo RS owners here?