Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How many Evo RS owners here?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2004, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hi_nrg_fizzix
I love my RS, it is my commuting superweapon. It eats the Norcal twisties alive. It has no fluff or distractions, I don't plan on getting a radio either. And you have plenty of $$$ left over to mod it if that is what you want. You will not regret it.
What part of NorCal are you in? There are so many great roads up here running through the foothills.

Originally Posted by zmeli
I am on my way this morning to get a 05 RS my 04 was lemonlawed. I am having buyers remorse before I even get there. I will be paying cash and this is a lot of money to part with. Your post inspire my to pull the trigger, this is a difficult decision. I looked for a 04 first they are all gone (at least I thought). The 05 is way more that the 04 RS.
What happened for your car to be lemon-lawed? Also, what are the big differences between the '04 RS and '05 RS besides the price.

Last edited by Steiner; Nov 26, 2004 at 11:32 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

Steiner,

I am in Mountain View, bay area. I commute to work in Menlo Park by way of 280, or sometimes foothills. When I first got my car I took a drive up to Skyline and my friend had me drive up Old Lahonda Rd, amazing how this car climbs hills, but it can be scary running through the redwoods with little chance for mistakes. I expected my car to be real bad on the 101, but I purchased it in San Mateo and drove the 101 back and it wasn't all that bad. You have to get the seat back matched to your back snug. If you like to ride with the seat laid back it will punish you because it delivers all the shock to one place, your lower back. No doubt about it, it is a stiff ride over bumpy roads, but the performance is amazing. It takes a bit of skill to drive this car smoothly in tight twisties, but you will adjust. These cars are not forgiving, they do exactly what you tell them to do, which can be good or bad. If you make a mistake you can get into trouble real quick due to the fast steering ratio. I got the RS partly because my wife was against any car with a huge wing.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

A few more comments....

I think part of the reason why these cars handle so well is that the chassis is so stiff. If you are looking for a drag racing car, there are better choices. I think the intial tendency is to add power mods because it is so lively stock that you can't help but dream about what it would be like with another 100hp/torque. However, if you take your car into some really tight roads, you will realize that it has plenty of power and your money would be better spent on something like high end coilovers, camber plates, and a stiffer rear sway bar to control body roll during fast weight transitions.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

I have an 03 GSR with abour 48K.. im thinking about selling it in for an RS and swapping over all the parts. I mean, i already have a full aftermarket alpine setup with direct ipod link, plenty of visual mods. Im wondering if i returned my evo to stock how much i could pick up an rs for. I know they only wanted 25 for a gsr.. and 32 for the MR here. I think i owe around 15000 on the car.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Steiner,

I am in Mountain View, bay area. I commute to work in Menlo Park by way of 280, or sometimes foothills. When I first got my car I took a drive up to Skyline and my friend had me drive up Old Lahonda Rd, amazing how this car climbs hills, but it can be scary running through the redwoods with little chance for mistakes. I expected my car to be real bad on the 101, but I purchased it in San Mateo and drove the 101 back and it wasn't all that bad. You have to get the seat back matched to your back snug. If you like to ride with the seat laid back it will punish you because it delivers all the shock to one place, your lower back. No doubt about it, it is a stiff ride over bumpy roads, but the performance is amazing. It takes a bit of skill to drive this car smoothly in tight twisties, but you will adjust. These cars are not forgiving, they do exactly what you tell them to do, which can be good or bad. If you make a mistake you can get into trouble real quick due to the fast steering ratio. I got the RS partly because my wife was against any car with a huge wing.
Great info fizzix. I can really get a feeling for what you're talking about because I know all those roads very well. I grew up in Los Altos, graduated from Mountain View High, and spent a few semesters at Canada College. Skyline is an awesome drive as is 280 when there traffic isn't bad. If driving 101 isn't bad I have nothing to worry about because the main freeways I use are 680 and 880. Overall they seem to be in better shape than 101, at least in terms of potholes and things like that.

I'm also leaning towards the RS for some of the same reasons as you...my wife isn't feeling the whole spoiler thing...either on the Evo, STi or my SRT-4. I've never seen an RS in person and up close. Is there another forum the NorCal Evo guys go to setup local meets, arrange group buys, etc?
Old Nov 26, 2004, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I'm soooooo close to getting an 05 RS as well, as long as I sell my SRT4 for the price I want.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RS conversion

If the lack of options has anything to do with making a decision for anybody...I might have that taken care of. Here's what I've put into my RS in the last 2 months.

EVO VIII Wing
Power Windows/locks with door panels
Visors with mirrors
Centrer consol with lid
VIII floor mats
DVD/CD/MP3 player with flip-up screen
JL Audio 6.5" speakers
JL Audio 10" W3 sub in a ported box
JL Audio amp
Metal colored (like rest of interior) radio dash piece

Other mods
Hallman MBC with gauge in cubby hole
Injen Intake
Injen upper i/c piping
Nology Hotwires
Iridium Spark Plugs
Clear VividRacing cover with LED's
Cusco titanium strut bar
Shorty Antenna
Vortex Generator
Tinted windows
Alarm with pager
Ventvisors

Getting the "luxury" back into it like the GSR is pretty easy...find someone who totaled theirs and buy the parts. As for the rest of it...I just love working on the car every weekend and having the RS makes it so easy to do stuff to. Just do little things all the time...then when you want to tackle something big you already know the car inside and out and it's real simple.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

Steiner,
Consider yourself lucky to have grown up here, I am from the midwest originally, such a dull place in every aspect. Check out norcalevo.net. These guys are more down to earth and drama free, no offense to EVOM, and they all drive locally so you can get better advice about how the cars and mods perform in your backyard. I think the 05 with the ACD would help solve your problems with wet conditions, I really don't push my car too hard in the rain, but it doesn't seem to spin the wheels at traffic lights and my wife's Jetta with tiptronic and traction control does, go figure.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Steiner,
Consider yourself lucky to have grown up here, I am from the midwest originally, such a dull place in every aspect. Check out norcalevo.net. These guys are more down to earth and drama free, no offense to EVOM, and they all drive locally so you can get better advice about how the cars and mods perform in your backyard. I think the 05 with the ACD would help solve your problems with wet conditions, I really don't push my car too hard in the rain, but it doesn't seem to spin the wheels at traffic lights and my wife's Jetta with tiptronic and traction control does, go figure.
Thanks man. I'll do that.

BTW...I went to college in Iowa for 2 years. I feel your pain.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I lived in the midwest for 6 months when I was in 10th grade. It was so dull, slow and boring there that after living there three months, I became homesick, and depressed. I had to come back to NYC
Old Nov 26, 2004, 03:39 PM

Anyone heard of Mitsu and Dodge rejoining? I hear that 05' SRT's are the last production and so are other Neons. Also, the Lancer "including EVO's will be being manufactured by Dodge or atleast with Dodge parts. If this is true then, the SRT's will be a pretty rare car. Also, the 05' EVO will be the last true Mitsu EVo in the states. That scares me although I like the SRT's. Chrysler's engine for the 2nd gen Eclipses sucked. If any of this is true then I will no longer seek an EVO after 05' Get them while you can. If anyone can correct me or share any light on this. Please do so.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

I don't see that actually happening, but if it DOES....THAT SUCKS!!!!!! Oh well, makes my EVO worth more...hopefully!
Old Nov 26, 2004, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

My greatest fear is that when I am ready for a new EVO in 5 years or so, they will no longer be available in the US and will not make an RS model. Guess I will have to move to England and get an FQ400, because I don't think I can learn Japanese easily.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

anybody else hear anything about this yet?
Old Nov 26, 2004, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

no

Quick Reply: How many Evo RS owners here?