Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How many Evo RS owners here?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many Evo RS owners here?

I've been going back and forth between the STi and Evo VIII the last few months. I probably know more about those two cars than any sane adult should, but then today my wife saw a picture of an Evo RS on the Mitsu website and I couldn't answer many of her questions. I think the lack of a spoiler caught her eye but I'm willing to compomise.

How many of you Evo RS owners use the car as a daily driver? What do you like about the car and what would you change. Besides the lack of amenities, what differentiates it from the Evo VIII and MR in terms of both performance and safety?
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

The RS is a great car, especially if you plan on tracking. It's already set-up for the track. Even with its lack of basic comforts, it's still a blast and never gets annoying. If you love to drive, this car will not dissapoint.

~fred
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

Cool. I like the sound of that. Did you opt for that urban jungle fever package on yours?
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

All RS's come with A/C, if that's what you're concerned about. However, it doesn't come with power locks or windows, alarm, keyless, or radio. Also doesn't come with HID's or wing. If you're looking used, only the RS had the front helical limited slip up front in the 03's and 04's. All 05's have the front limited slip. Also, the RS is the more performance oriented than the MR since its lighter and meant for the track.

~fred
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

man go with the RS. With recent studies the RS is even better performance than the MR.
It has every thing the MR has (except the luxaries) and it's 88 lbs lighter. Come on you've had a car with no pw's or pl. And you can always get a better radio that the stock one. When I get back into my office on Friday I will get you some stats on the MR and the STI vs. the RS. It actually out performs both of them. If your interested just PM me.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

PM sent. Thanks Clue.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 12:50 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
and you could get some workout with rolling the windows up manually.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

I love my RS as a daily driver. I wouldn't change a thing. Lighter, limited slip up front, and for considerably less money. I didn't have to pay for a radio I was just going to rip out anyway. I really like that it comes without a wing. Less attention from the cops and not as many little ricers want to race me. And it comes in the best color, white.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cuprsnel
I love my RS as a daily driver. I wouldn't change a thing. Lighter, limited slip up front, and for considerably less money. I didn't have to pay for a radio I was just going to rip out anyway. I really like that it comes without a wing. Less attention from the cops and not as many little ricers want to race me. And it comes in the best color, white.
white, true dat
Old Nov 25, 2004, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

So what exactly has changed between the '04 RS and '05 RS and what do you get with the "urban jungle package"?
Old Nov 25, 2004, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

there is no "urban jungle package" it never really happened. the 05 RS has the new turbo, the acd, and an aluminum roof over the 04's
Old Nov 25, 2004, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dohcvtec
there is no "urban jungle package" it never really happened. the 05 RS has the new turbo, the acd, and an aluminum roof over the 04's

I think the '05's get the sports meter as well.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

I have a 04 rs as a daily drive cant ask for more the car is amazing
Old Nov 25, 2004, 01:30 PM

The ultimate Evo for the hard-core enthusiast is the RS, NOT the MR! I drove both cars at the dealership back to back.

RS 5-sp vs MR 6-sp
The Evo's powerband is so wide, and the 5-Speed's Ratios are so close that the 6-sp just adds weight and $.

MR Bilstein Shocks
These are definately better than the standard Evo shocks. Better Ride with NO sacrifice in handling. If anything, The Bilsteins handle better on bumpy surfaces. On the other hand, RS owners can easily swap shocks if the need be.

ABS vs. non-ABS
There are advantages and disadvantages to both setups. Ideally, I'd want an ABS system that was wired for on-the-fly disabling if the conditions called for a change while driving.

BBS Wheels
These are nice, BUT you can get ENKEI RPF1s for your RS cheap and still shed the same amount of weight. You're probably gonna need two sets of wheels anyway if you track the car of if you use it in the winter.

Wing vs no-Wing
Stealth vs High Speed handling. RS owners can put the wing on easily if the need be.

A/C
All EVOs (including RS) have this so you wont boil in the summer

ACD & Front Helical LSD
All '05 EVOs have these

Stereo
NO the RS does not have the MRs crappy stereo. If you MUST have good stereo, put it in yourself. RS comes prewired.

Power Windows, locks, sound deadening, etc.
Who needs this garbage?

Lightweight Aluminium Roof
Both cars have it plus the RS gets a lightweight Trunk as well!

Rear Cross Bar
RS has it.

HIDs
EVO HIDs are a joke. My 05 Legacy GT's non-HIDs have better lighting !

Weight diff.
RS is 88 lbs lighter than MR!

Exclusivity
Both cars will be sold in small quantities.

$7k
That is the price diff between MR and RS. Is it worth it? Not for me!

Last edited by 97itr153; Nov 25, 2004 at 05:04 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

^^^^ exactly the reasons I will be buying a RS

Quick Reply: How many Evo RS owners here?