Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Boost controler

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2004, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost controler

Should i stick with the manual and just get a gauge or should i go with electronic please help money is no issue for this i need to get the best on the market which option is better and what would u guys recommend i order thanx
Old Nov 25, 2004, 05:23 PM
Former Sponsor

go for a mBC less problems and less work to install
Old Nov 25, 2004, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

if money isn't an issue, get an EBC and get someone to set it up properly for you. EBC's have better control over boost and it's constantly monitoring so things like boost spikes aren't an issue. although most decent MBC's are pretty good, the answer to your question as far as which one is better, it's the EBC.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 05:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Ebc!!
Old Nov 25, 2004, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Can you guys link me to the EBC i want to take a look at it and then hopefully order one today or tomorrow
Old Nov 25, 2004, 06:11 PM

I have a Greddy Profec B spec II. Once I figured out how to properly set it(with help from this site, mainly AL) it works perfectly. You will need to adjust it very slightly with weather changes, but it holds steady like a rock. I could'nt be happier with it.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyTwoThumbs
I have a Greddy Profec B spec II. Once I figured out how to properly set it(with help from this site, maily AL) it works perfectly. You will need to adjust it very slightly with weather changes, but it holds steady like a rock. I could'nt be happier with it.
do you use any other gauges or this does the trick ??
Old Nov 25, 2004, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyTwoThumbs
I have a Greddy Profec B spec II. Once I figured out how to properly set it(with help from this site, mainly AL) it works perfectly. You will need to adjust it very slightly with weather changes, but it holds steady like a rock. I could'nt be happier with it.
Well said. This is what I am using as well. Once I got the hang of it I loved it. Holds boost so good with my MR bov
Old Nov 25, 2004, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

A hallman has worked for years since day 1 back in 1990 and that is all u need $90 keeps u where u want to be. for the price of an ebc with install u can get a lot better more hp parts on the evo....
Old Nov 25, 2004, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

If I had the money I would have got the Turbosmart E-boost (EBC) do a search on this web site and read all about it.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
blitz sbc-id
Old Nov 25, 2004, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DA-4BANGA
A hallman has worked for years since day 1 back in 1990 and that is all u need $90 keeps u where u want to be. for the price of an ebc with install u can get a lot better more hp parts on the evo....
You have to remember with an mbc YOU NEED a boost gauge. That's at least an extra $100. I got my Greddy Profec B spec II for $85 shipped. Plus it helps me save gas. I daily drive with it on low (17psi) and save the 21psi for the track or just some car looking for a race.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

I have yet to see any electronic boost controller that does not spike, are they good? yes.
worth the money? no.
A boost gauge from autometer is less than $60
But then again, the choice is yours........that is why there are so many couple of hundred dollar ebc's out there.
I'm telling you what works good enough for the 10's and is under $100.......set it and go
Old Nov 26, 2004, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hmm my Blitz doesnt spike at all. You can basically set it and forget it, you might only have to change it if the temperature is real cold out, other than that you can set it and forget it. It also makes it nice to be able to adjust it within the cabin, for days when you feel like running your 100octane race map and want to up the boost a few psi!
Old Dec 3, 2004, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by DA-4BANGA
I have yet to see any electronic boost controller that does not spike, are they good? yes.
worth the money? no.
A boost gauge from autometer is less than $60
But then again, the choice is yours........that is why there are so many couple of hundred dollar ebc's out there.
I'm telling you what works good enough for the 10's and is under $100.......set it and go
I guess you haven't seen the Turbosmart E-Boost then. With its adjustable sensitivity and Gate Pressure settings, you can easily tune out, or even tune in, boost spiking. It has 3 stages of boost control, the gate pressure setting allows the user to select when the wastegate starts to receive boost, Peak Hold, Audible Alarm, Over Boost Shutdown, Adjustable Sensitivity, 2 Auxilary outputs, a Digital Boost Gauge that can display in PSI, BAR, or kPa. And it is incredibly easy to tune, my girlfriend learned how to use it her first time.

Also, if you like the Greddy Boost controllers, take a look at this Dyno....

This is an Evo using a Profec B Spec 2, the car was left on the dyno and the E-boost was installed. Less than an hour passed. The same boost levels were run, notice the same peak horsepower. But since the user can select when the wastegate starts to receive boost, using the gate pressure settings. The car will build boost quicker and have more power mid-range.