Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Supercars

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2004, 10:39 PM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it really doesn't matter as the sparco evo is one evo i def. respect as its def. not built for straight line ....so don't let it fool you. Either way i am sure it capable of 11.3-11.5 at 121-124 so thats quick no matter what.
Dave

Originally Posted by sparcoevo
Do you guys read any of the posts above? Of course the times are horrid, given the conditions. If you think the Sparco Evo or the Buschur car run by Robi normally run those times then your are entitled to believe that. Do you also believe that a 620whp Supra or a 550whp Skyline run high 12's-13's in normal conditions? Do you think that stock 04 Evo that Road and Track tested would run a 13 in those conditions?

to haters and those that don't bother reading or asking questions.
Old Nov 27, 2004, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

sparcoevo, I have been following your car, and it's awesome. Just curious, what kind of times does it normally run in the drag strip?

What turbo size are you running?

Thanks
Old Nov 28, 2004, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bo0oost
sparcoevo, I have been following your car, and it's awesome. Just curious, what kind of times does it normally run in the drag strip?

What turbo size are you running?

Thanks
We haven't taken our car to an official event with timing (other than the two magazine tests we have participated in...Evo Orgy and USCC). The "Evo Orgy" competition was on our old set-up that was making 60-70whp less, and not in ideal conditions (100+ degrees, no grip, huge headwind). At "Evo Orgy", we ran a best of 11.7@119, but the average of our two runs, which was printed in the magazine was 11.9@118. The USCC event has been covered in the posts above, but needless to say, it was completely irrelevant to what our car (or the others) can run in the 1/4.

We have tested our car with computer equipment while performing some tuning, and have run between 11.2 and 11.5 pretty consistantly at about 121-124mph. However, this is all unofficial and I don't want to make any claims until we have a chance to take the car to a "Test & Tune" night at California Speedway or Carlsbad. However, I'm not sure if those are good tracks for posting quick times. Maybe someone on EvolutionM can point us to a good dragstrip in SoCal?

We are running the A'pexi IHI RX-6 TCW77 P20 ball bearing turbo on our car. The kit is pretty similar to the one A'pexi has developed for the EVO, which is available now. Reliability, spool up, powerband, torque, and drivability have been excellent for our purposes.
Old Nov 28, 2004, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

SparcoEvo, good job on the contest. Keep up all the solid work.
Dont worry about the idiots who do not understand about conditions. I wonder how they would have done at the USCC since they are so much faster, and havent spent that much money. What a joke.
Old Nov 28, 2004, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

conditions conditions i run in orlando, fl its in the 80 to 90 deg every day with so much water in the air and dust.and a few evos who runs mid 11 all day in the CONDITION THAT WE HAVE we do not tune our cars to run on the moon!! just the real world. hope the best to you all
Old Nov 30, 2004, 01:06 AM
Evolving Member

i'm suprised the 1gen eclipse, supra, and mr2 did so well against the sparco evo and rre/bur evo in the overall. That R32 looked like a monster too.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 01:18 AM
Evolving Member

well try running with those cars on road course, lets see what happens.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 01:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by davyper
well try running with those cars on road course, lets see what happens.
wasn't the purpose of the award for the overall car ?
might as well compare it to only the dyno, or only the 1/4 track or skidpad
Old Nov 30, 2004, 01:58 AM
Evolved Member

I think most Evo tuners are still tweaking the car unlike the MR2 which has been around much longer than the US Evo's. You have to remember they are not concentrating on the 1/4 mile but how to run the best time on a road course. Leave it to Turbotrix for the 1/4 mile for now. I'm pretty sure they will get into the 8's in the near future.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 02:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sparcoevo
Do you guys read any of the posts above? Of course the times are horrid, given the conditions. If you think the Sparco Evo or the Buschur car run by Robi normally run those times then your are entitled to believe that. Do you also believe that a 620whp Supra or a 550whp Skyline run high 12's-13's in normal conditions? Do you think that stock 04 Evo that Road and Track tested would run a 13 in those conditions?

to haters and those that don't bother reading or asking questions.
Kinda like how roy navarez ran a 12.4 in his 600+ hp GSX last year. All of these retards on the old board i used to post on was like, 12.4??? Your car is faster than that, Im like..... No
Old Dec 6, 2004, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by simevo
I think most Evo tuners are still tweaking the car unlike the MR2 which has been around much longer than the US Evo's. You have to remember they are not concentrating on the 1/4 mile but how to run the best time on a road course. Leave it to Turbotrix for the 1/4 mile for now. I'm pretty sure they will get into the 8's in the near future.
That would be good logic except for the fact that the MR2 had a completely different setup than traditional MR2's. V6 camry motors don't have 2% of the aftermarket support as the EVO. Add the fact that the technology used in the EVO is also 13+ years newer... I've owned several fast cars, there's no disputing the capability of the EVO.

In any case, the drag strip was considerably different than can be imagined. There were NO staging lights, no starting lights and no lights to trip at the end of the 1/4 mile. The equipment used was a radar gun tied into a laptop. I would imagine it's reasonably accurate, I expect some sort of error with that type of timing system.

What was important for this contest was how the cars ranked against each other. You tune for your local track conditions, not the one on the other side of the country. I believe the black eclipse had also run several 11 second passes at that track the prior week(s). I expect with a day of tuning, that any of the cars could have run better at the track.

I was lucky to get this, while the worst of the runs the MR2 made, it should give you some sort of idea of the conditions:

http://bedellracing1.home.comcast.net/drag.wmv

-Brad
Old Dec 6, 2004, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by overboostvr4
I expect with a day of tuning, that any of the cars could have run better at the track.

I was lucky to get this, while the worst of the runs the MR2 made, it should give you some sort of idea of the conditions:

http://bedellracing1.home.comcast.net/drag.wmv

-Brad
Yeah... seeing that video makes the times seem about right. That MR2's slow launch definitely ate up a bunch of time... When I was at the track in Nov., a 5-600hp Z28 was running high 13's because he was launching slow to save the clutch. The Z28's MPH was around 120, though (spinning wheels through 3rd ).
Old Dec 6, 2004, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

the issue is altitude, temperature, track condition, and vehicular setup. but the big ones are temp, altitude, and track conditions. its way too hot, high elevation, and lack of great traction all play a huge roll in hurting times.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingEvo
Yeah... seeing that video makes the times seem about right. That MR2's slow launch definitely ate up a bunch of time... When I was at the track in Nov., a 5-600hp Z28 was running high 13's because he was launching slow to save the clutch. The Z28's MPH was around 120, though (spinning wheels through 3rd ).
Yup, MR2 suffered a similar problem @ 122mph. Launch any harder and it just sat and spun the expensive R compound tires.

The track where the testing was done was around 2700', the track was dusty from the prior night's wind and it was pretty hot by the time we got around to driving on the track. Needless to say, I don't think any of the participants were "excited" about having their 'supercars' published with only a mid 12 second 1/4 mile.

I usually don't worry about it, simply because most people who spend time at their local track don't understand differences in track conditions across the country. Afterall, you have some fast tracks and some slow ones. What's important is how the competition that day is running.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

I was at the USCC. They were not measuring the times with the tracks system, but were using a radar gun mounted to a Lexus at the starting line. The times are fairly far off. The ET's especially....although the MPH seem about 1-3 mph low....that Miata was fast as ****.

Take the times for a grain of salt, they are not what the cars run at tracks. I think they are all 5-8 tenths faster then that or so. Scot's Eclipse has been in the 11's for years.