Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Final Specs Released!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2002, 10:07 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Final Specs Released!!!!!!

Originally posted by Mark F

According to our district service rep the car will have a warranty (he's not happy about it - Mitsu almost opted not to do it). Oil changes will be required every 1,500 miles and tires are said to be good for only about 10k miles as stated above.
Every 5k miles for an oil change at maximum. They may recommend 1500 miles, but I'd say 2,500 is fine. Synthetic oil comes IN the car and is absolutely REQUIRED! This will make oil changes a little pricey. The tires are indeed 10k mile tires and recommend rotation every oil change.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 11:09 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1500mi's? How many quarts does that engine take? Isn't it 5? That should be good for 3k miles like most car especially synthetic? Or your talking about the first oil change?
Old Dec 10, 2002, 11:11 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by gtr
1500mi's? How many quarts does that engine take? Isn't it 5? That should be good for 3k miles like most car especially synthetic? Or your talking about the first oil change?
He was probably talking about the first one. I know Mitsubishi has said it is required to change it at least every 5000 miles, but not 1500.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Will the Evo VIII turn out to be too expensive to maintain? I mean, oil change every 1500miles and new tires every 10000miles, that could add up real fast if you drive a lot, especially in Southern Cali. Also, will it require a turbo replacement after 60000miles? What is the maintance schedule for a WRX or 350Z like?
Old Dec 10, 2002, 11:24 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by ReHeat
Will the Evo VIII turn out to be too expensive to maintain? I mean, oil change every 1500miles and new tires every 10000miles, that could add up real fast if you drive a lot, especially in Southern Cali. Also, will it require a turbo replacement after 60000miles? What is the maintance schedule for a WRX or 350Z like?
Ok, again, stated, I highly doubt that an oil change every 1500 miles is needed, afterall, it's synthetic oil, with a very advanced engine. You do NOT need to get the same tires either, my advice, take off the ones that come with it and get some good all-weather tires, unless you live in Flordia or California.

No idea bout the turbocharger, but if you take care of it, it should last a long time. Turbo-timers are the key here. Get em, use em.

This car will definitely cost more when maintanence is required, but if you take care of it, do the proper maintanence, it will last a long time.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 11:33 AM

Re: Final Specs Released!!!!!!

Originally posted by S_rangeBrew

Must have “evo certified” tech work on it or it voids the
warrantee

So how difficult will it be for Evo owners to get service? Will all mitsubish service mechanics be required to have evo certification?
Old Dec 10, 2002, 11:50 AM

Re: Final Specs Released!!!!!!

Originally posted by S_rangeBrew
Center diff is in transfer case and is also viscous
The EVO drivetrain doesn't have a transfer case.

Originally posted by Fireball
I believe that's wrong. I think the front is viscous and the rear is definitely a 1.5-way limited slip diff
What are you talking about. A "1.5-way LSD" is not a actual design for a differential. There are multiple different mechanical LSDs which can be configured in a 1.5-way setting. I think you have been playing Gran Tursimo too much. Next you are going to want to perform "level 2 weight reduction" on you car.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

whats with your name being, mary kate olsen? what the hell? this has got to be the oddest handle on this board.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

with these specs and recently released pics, I am getting pretty pumped for to see this beast.

I really doubt you need to change your oil every 1500 miles - what makes this engine break down oil so much faster then any other powerplant? Everything that I have read tells me that the 4G63 in the Evo8 isn't that that much different the the previous evos.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: Re: Final Specs Released!!!!!!

Originally posted by Mary-Kate Olsen
The EVO drivetrain doesn't have a transfer case.
Sorry to brake it to you, but the part that we usually see as the ACD unit is the transfer case that has center and front differential in there.

Mr. AWD
Actually, see it your self:
Attached Thumbnails Final Specs Released!!!!!!-acd.jpg  
Old Dec 10, 2002, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

whats the difference between synthetic oil and regular oil, and whats the price difference, just curious, its easier to ask you guys than to look it up myself lol. I must be the lazyest person ever
Old Dec 10, 2002, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by trigeek37
with these specs and recently released pics, I am getting pretty pumped for to see this beast.

I really doubt you need to change your oil every 1500 miles - what makes this engine break down oil so much faster then any other powerplant? Everything that I have read tells me that the 4G63 in the Evo8 isn't that that much different the the previous evos.
1,500 miles is what the district service rep told me - and he will happily void your warranty if you don't. This one is going to be a highly-stressed street-legal rally car while Mitsubishi recommends 3,000 miles on its grocery-getter cars, so whoever said 5,000 for the EVO is smoking something.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 01:34 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1,500 is probably the first oil change. It is ridculous to change every 1,500 afterwards especially if it's synthic. I usually do oil change 3k or 3 months unless it looks bad from the stick. Lets face it we change oil based on our driving habits. What it sounds to me is that is not confident in their quality on high performance cars tries to cheat us out on the warrenty? I dont' understand "evo certified tech to change your oil"? That's ridcuous. My neghibors makes fun of me and accuse me of being cheap to change my own oil but the fact of the matter is that I feel i do a lot better job than the Mechanics. Why? Because I take my time.

Last edited by gtr; Dec 10, 2002 at 01:36 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 02:14 PM

1500 mile oil change requirement for synthetic oil? Sounds strange.

The video idea is good though and so is the underrated HP numbers.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

With synthetic oil, as with any oil, you should also look for how long the oil manufacturer says its good.
Take Honda for example, they say every 7500 miles, but most oils brake down after 3000 miles...

Quick Reply: Final Specs Released!!!!!!