Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Final Specs Released!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2002, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone clearly explain these specs to me?? I'd really appreciate it:

8.8-1 compression 16G twin scroll

5 speed with short shifter

Triple syncro 1,2 gear

Double 3,R

Single 4,5
Old Dec 10, 2002, 07:10 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Re: Re: Re: Re: Final Specs Released!!!!!!

Originally posted by Mary-Kate Olsen

Excuse me? What the F%$K are you talking about. Go back and actually read what I wrote. I said many different kinds of LSD can be called 1.5-way. The argument is about weither or not the LSD is viscous or not. My point was that Just because Mitsu calls it a 1.5-way LSD doesn't mean its not viscous. Get it now you fool?
My comment was directed at the part where you said, "A "1.5-way LSD" is not a actual design for a differential." where it most certianly is. You didn't mention anything about a viscous coupling part in that statement.

Originally posted by Mary-Kate Olsen

Why should I beleave somebody who thinks they are a ball of fire? Ohhh how about our names are just that, names. (unless you actually soak yourself in gasoline and light your self on fire, then I guess your name would fit).
Great comeback by the way... took a whole lot of intelligence for that one, eh?
Old Dec 10, 2002, 07:45 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Final Specs Released!!!!!!

Originally posted by Fireball
You didn't mention anything about a viscous coupling part in that statement.
I didn't mention that because I quoted your post where you where talking about the viscous LSD. I thought you would beable to figure out that my responce was inreference to the same subject that you where talking about. I guess I overestimated your mental abiltities.

I still stand by what I said. Almost any LSD design can be engineered to operate in a 1.5-way configuration. Different LSD designs include but are not limited to: clutch-type, detroit-locker, torsen, and viscous. All thoes can be 1.5-way. So your post where you said the original info was wrong (becasuse they didn't call it a 1.5-way) doesn't make any sence. Mitsu could have a 1.5-way viscous LSD. Get it now fool?

Last edited by Mary-Kate Olsen; Dec 10, 2002 at 07:47 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Can the two of you just shut up please and take your stupid banter offline?
Old Dec 10, 2002, 07:57 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by RaX
Oh no... another argument with Mary-Kate. Please make it stop.

Mary-Kate calling someone a fool is violation of evolutionm.net's Terms of Use: http://corp.evolutionm.net/terms.php?s=
Old Dec 10, 2002, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

To get this thread back on track, TPM it is talking about which gears a synchromesh:

Triple syncro 1,2 gear

Double 3,R

Single 4,5

This means that 1st and 2nd gear are triple mesh
3rd and reverse are double mesh
and 4th and 5th are single

The part where it says:8.8-1 compression 16G twin scroll
this is talking about the compression ratio
Back to the original thread...I think the reason that mitsubishi considered not putting a warranty with it at all is because they know how people are going to drive them, and not all the time are they going to be able to tell whether it is a faulty part or owner abuse. Not to mention the number of people that would mod them and get pissed off when they are told their warranty is as good as a peice of toilet paper...
Old Dec 10, 2002, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

And 16G twin scroll is the turbo.
Aston
Old Dec 10, 2002, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

The hood vents should be functional.
It sits right above the engine/turbo and hot air rises out of it.

Water getting in is fine and it will actually help cool down the engine! It's not really visible but there is a black plastic piece and a grill which prevents big items from dropping into the engine bay.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by tpm17
Can someone clearly explain these specs to me?? I'd really appreciate it:

8.8-1 compression 16G twin scroll

Triple syncro 1,2 gear

Double 3,R

Single 4,5
8.8-1 compression ratio means 8.8 parts air to 1 part fuel in the air/fuel mixture injected into the combustion chamber. The syncro amounts on each gear was explained above, but in case you don't actually know what a syncro is, it's basically part of the transmission that makes it so you don't have to rev-match in order to engage a certain gear, as oposed to older cars or semi-type trucks, where if you're not in the correct RPM, you will be unable to shift to the gear you are trying for until the correct RPM is reached. Also, a twin-scroll turbo is a turbo with 2 inlets (each connected to 2 of the 4 cylinder's) as oposed to 1 inlet servicing all 4 cylinders; much more efficient exaust flow, hence, quicker spool time for the turbo.

Last edited by Liandrin11; Dec 10, 2002 at 09:17 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Liandrin11

8.8-1 compression ratio means 8.8 parts air to 1 part fuel in the air/fuel mixture injected into the combustion chamber.
I always thought that was the Air/Fuel Ratio.... If what you are saying is true, would that mean hondas run lean while turbo cars (with low compression) run rich? I thought compression ratio is how much the gas is "compressed" or pressurized before being ignited.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

And for the love of GAWD, Mary-Kate, why so touchy??? Isn't it possible to give insightful information without getting so freakin' emotional??? You attacked first; you've gotta expect some kind of retort, even if you are a hot little teeny star.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by BurnOutz

I always thought that was the Air/Fuel Ratio.... If what you are saying is true, would that mean hondas run lean while turbo cars (with low compression) run rich? I thought compression ratio is how much the gas is "compressed" or pressurized before being ignited.
Well actually, you're right, I had a brain slip . Sorry. I'm talking out of my *** (just worked a 16 hr day). So to make completely go against what I was saying previously, yes, 8.8-1 is how much the mixture is compressed during the compression cycle before the mixture is ignited. Since Honda's tend to have such a high compression ratio, they require higher octane fuel to prevent detonation under the higher pressure. Same true for turbo cars since the incoming air is already compressed to begin with. That's also why turbo cars generally have a lower compression ratio than most NA cars since they would need an EXTREMEMLY high octane rating to withstand the already-compressed mixture being compressed even further. And in case anyone's in the dark, octane rating is simply resistance to detonation under compression. Ugh, I need to stop talking.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 09:30 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

This post over at DSM Talk has me worried: http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showth...threadid=74543

This info came from a Course Guide for Mitsubishi techinicians.

Curb Weight: 3263(w/o sunroof) 3298(w/sunroof)
That's one fat Evo! Considering that we won't have the 6 speed, ACD, or AYC, then how hell did it get so fat?!?
Old Dec 10, 2002, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

I am slightly dissapointed about the lack of ACD, but we all new that was going to be missing. It just seems that Mitsubishi puts something new on their cars and then they take it off just as some else puts it on so misses out on sales and things. Subaru have said they will have somthing very similar to the ACD on the next STI, and I am sure they will use it as a selling point, but Mitsubishi has taken it off so everyone will probably end up thinking Subaru invented it/ used it first . Also the power being reduced slightly to match the STI until later in the year when they will release a more powerful model. Why? They could have (and currently do have) a much faster car then Subaru right from the start? This seems to happen with most of their cars. 's marketing is also very poor. Everybody seems to know about the Honda Civic (the faster version, Type R?) but nobody knows about thee Mirage Cyborg, a car that would a tleast equal the Civic. And there was hardly any promotion about the fact they won the WRC 4 times in row, at least here in Australia, until recently when they aren't doing so well which makes the ads look silly. Anyway, sorry for my complaining.
Aston
Old Dec 10, 2002, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by RaX
This post over at DSM Talk has me worried: http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showth...threadid=74543

This info came from a Course Guide for Mitsubishi techinicians.

That's one fat Evo! Considering that we won't have the 6 speed, ACD, or AYC, then how hell did it get so fat?!?
Do you think it's possible all the extra reinforcements needed to pass crash tests could weigh that much? Hope not.

Quick Reply: Final Specs Released!!!!!!