Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Final Specs Released!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2002, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RaX
This post over at DSM Talk has me worried: http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showth...threadid=74543

This info came from a Course Guide for Mitsubishi techinicians.

That's one fat Evo! Considering that we won't have the 6 speed, ACD, or AYC, then how hell did it get so fat?!?
I really hope it doesn't way that much. I hope they try to keep the RS-II around the same weight as the EVO VII RS-II.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

the only reason it could weigh that much is if MMC added an assload of NVH shielding to the car... only thing I can think of that would do that
Old Dec 10, 2002, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

Umm...on the dsm site they are just bickering about the STi and the Evo... does anyone share my opinion about mitsus warranty concerns..?
Old Dec 10, 2002, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Final Specs Released!!!!!!

Originally posted by Mary-Kate Olsen

Nope. Let me brake it to you that is just two differentials.

A 4WD/AWD vehicle with a longitudinal engine has a transfercase with two driveshafts. A 4WD/AWD vehicle with a transverse engine just uses two differentials and one drive shaft. How many drive shafts does the EVO have???
also the transfercase does high-low gears and front and all wheel drive
Old Dec 10, 2002, 11:06 PM
Evolving Member

guess...not
Old Dec 10, 2002, 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

just follow everything one the warranty, every car is different. They can Void your warranty if you use the wrong weight of oil. changing your oil every 1.500k on the evo is just nuts, or that is for the break in. if not it worst then jiffy lube every 3k mile, come on!! some cars can run oil up to 7.5k for one oil change. just go with the hand book of the car. and you will be fine.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 11:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Liandrin11

8.8-1 compression ratio means 8.8 parts air to 1 part fuel in the air/fuel mixture injected into the combustion chamber. The syncro amounts on each gear was explained above, but in case you don't actually know what a syncro is, it's basically part of the transmission that makes it so you don't have to rev-match in order to engage a certain gear, as oposed to older cars or semi-type trucks, where if you're not in the correct RPM, you will be unable to shift to the gear you are trying for until the correct RPM is reached. Also, a twin-scroll turbo is a turbo with 2 inlets (each connected to 2 of the 4 cylinder's) as oposed to 1 inlet servicing all 4 cylinders; much more efficient exaust flow, hence, quicker spool time for the turbo.
what the hell at you talking about "rev-match in order to engage a certain gear" something tells me that you don't know much about cars do you ???? first of all do you know what does a syncro do ????

syncro or synchronized gears is a special internal clutches to prevent gear clash when shifting. the purpose of the syncro is to move ahead of the unit that is to be meshed, seize the other unit, and bring the rotational speed of both units together. once both units are rotating at the same speed, they may be meshed.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

I just converted the specifications for the Evolution VIII, around 200kW (one website said 199kW and one said 202kW?), 370NM, and 1480kg. That will be one slow Evolution Lancer . While the 6 and 7 (maybe 5 as well?) were quoted as 206kW they had more like 220kW so 200kW is a big loss and the 6 GSR was about 1360kg the 7 GSR was 1400kg giving weight/power ratios of 6.18 (VI) and 6.36 (VII) (smaller number = faster). The VIII's weight/power ratio, according to these figures is 7.4!? Also the VI had 373Nm and the VII had 383Nm so 370Nm for the VIII is also less. Mitsubishi are just giving the market to Subaru .
Aston
Old Dec 11, 2002, 12:31 AM
Evolving Member

Matching the revs is the same as a syncro. Firstly when you change gears you use the clutch to seperate the engine from the gearbox. Then you select another gear, but the gear is lower so it needs more revs at the same speed. The gearbox parts start turning at the new revs so when you connect them back to the engine (release the clutch pedal) the engine must jump up to the higher revs. Syncro gets the engine revs up higher for you, if it didn't the gears would crunch and not change or the car would jerk badly as the revs matched up. If you don't have syncro then you have to rev the engine to get it up to the new higher revs before you let the clutch pedal out so both the engine and gearbox are spinning at the same speed. For example, 4th gear at 3000rpm change to 3rd gear (same speed = 4000rpm) you must quickly blip the accelerator to get the engine to 4000rpm before you release the clutch pedal. This is at least how I understand it. This isn't exactly how it works, my way would mean the gears would only crunch when the clutch pedal was released out not when you shifted (like they do) and I can't explain that (something to do with the main input shaft from engine to gearbox?), but I believe the idea of revs increasing with lower gear but the engine is still spinning at lower revs is the same and is correct. I could be completely wrong but I do know that without syncro a driver must match the revs between gears.
EDIT: quote "the purpose of the syncro is to move ahead of the unit that is to be meshed, seize the other unit, and bring the rotational speed of both units together . " This is exactly what blipping the accelerator (the rev matching you didn't agree with) achieves.
Aston

Last edited by astondg; Dec 11, 2002 at 12:37 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 06:31 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: Oil - I run 7500 mile cycles on full synthetic (Mobil 1) in my S2000, which one might consider a pretty harsh environment for oil. Every time I have changed it, I'm amazed at how little it has changed relative to new stuff. Good oil and a good filter (replaced along with the oil every time) does wonders. Requiring a 1500 mile change cycle and that it be performed by a "certified Evo tech" strikes me as being MMSA's way of fleecing buyers a bit more.

Re: synchros. Synchromesh trannies exist to smooth out shifting. More cones = smoother shifts. 4G63 Attack: Have you ever driven a non-syncrho transmission? Didn't think so. Try it sometime, and you'll realize that what Liandrin said was fundamentally correct. And if you're really curious, try shifting a regular 5 speed without using the clutch (except starting out, which requires the clutch).

Re: Warranty. 1 year? Yay. They'll all get voided anyway, no matter how you drive it. I'd rather see the original (AYC/ACD) drivetrain and a 30 day warranty. The costs should be a wash.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

Heres some more info that was posted by a differnt tec on another board, This is what he had to say.........15. "RE: New EVO Spotted in Bama?"
In response to message #12

I'm a Mitsu Tech here in SW Washington and just attended a "Technical Training Seminar" on the EVO VIII this morning.
While there was little concrete info, this is what I was told.
Expect the car to arrive at dealers in late Feb. The first year only 5000 will be produced.
MSRP is slated to be just a hair under 30K, but don't expect to be able to purchase one for that, most dealers will tack on an add'l 15K, and add another 2500 for the "optional" PitPass (TM) which is a sort of service contract that covers routine maintanence (including the synthetic oil changes).
Horsepower is claimed to be 271, torque 273.
Aluminum front fenders and hood, One vent in center of hood instead of 2, Brembo brakes front and rear, ABS, Enkie wheels and super sticky street rubber (10K life expectancy),Race? seats with slots for 5 point harnesses and clear altezza style taillights. It will also have a water spray system for the intercooler.
75% will come with sunroofs. Short and Tall spoilers will be available.
As far as appearance goes, the pics I saw looked like a VII except for that nose thing in the center of the grille like the most recent Galant and the lower bumper cover opening that looks to me as if it's frowning (like a 93 - 96 Mirage or a 95 -96 Eclipse).
Frankly, I'm disappointed by the whole thing, not the car itself, but the lousy way they are marketing it. Subaru has already taken the wind out of Mitsu's sail by bringing out the WRX and making it affordable and available, and now I hear an STI version is on it's way.
Mitsu needs to jump in the pool instead of always dipping in one toe.
Turbodad

RALLY ON ////////////////////////////////
Old Dec 11, 2002, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Final Specs Released!!!!!!

Originally posted by Mary-Kate Olsen

Nope. Let me brake it to you that is just two differentials.

A 4WD/AWD vehicle with a longitudinal engine has a transfercase with two driveshafts. A 4WD/AWD vehicle with a transverse engine just uses two differentials and one drive shaft. How many drive shafts does the EVO have???
Are you late on your medications again?

If you can't see from that picture that was there especially for you, that direction of axles has to be turned 90 degrees and that is what the transfer case is there for.

Mr. AWD
Old Dec 11, 2002, 09:11 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Final Specs Released!!!!!!

Originally posted by MrAWD

Are you late on your medications again?

If you can't see from that picture that was there especially for you, that direction of axles has to be turned 90 degrees and that is what the transfer case is there for.

Mr. AWD
Okay here is me trying to respond nicely. . .

I beleave you are mistaken. The mechanical system which turns the drive line 90 degrees is usally just called a differential. Although technically a differential in just the gears which allow the axel-halves to rotate at different speeds.

A transfercase on the other hand turns the driveline 180 degrees. A transfercase can include a center differential inside itself or not. And it may also include different selectable gear ratios. One thing which a transfercase is not is what was in that picture.

4x4 Trucks have transfercases. AWD cars use differentials. The only AWD car with a transfercase that I know of is the nissan GT-R (although there could be more). I supose Mitsu could make the USDM EVO with a transfercase but they would have to rotate the engine 90 degrees first.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

I don't mean to sounds like an a$$ here but my '95 Talon AWD has a transfer case. In fact there was a recall on this so called transfer case due to a defect which caused fluid to leak past the driveshaft yoke.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, all the DSM's have transfer cases. The center diff is inside the transmission housing. A shaft from it goes to the transfer case, which changes the direction 90 degrees and turns the drive shaft.
I know all about the transfer case since it locked up on me while I was doing 55. I have had to remove it several times for various reasons.
I believe the EVO would have the same thing.

Once again though I will say, why do people continue bickering in this thread. Cut it out already.

Quick Reply: Final Specs Released!!!!!!