Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Final Specs Released!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2002, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: Final Specs Released!!!!!!

Originally posted by Mary-Kate Olsen
Okay here is me trying to respond nicely. . .

I beleave you are mistaken. The mechanical system which turns the drive line 90 degrees is usally just called a differential. Although technically a differential in just the gears which allow the axel-halves to rotate at different speeds.

A transfercase on the other hand turns the driveline 180 degrees. A transfercase can include a center differential inside itself or not. And it may also include different selectable gear ratios. One thing which a transfercase is not is what was in that picture.

4x4 Trucks have transfercases. AWD cars use differentials. The only AWD car with a transfercase that I know of is the nissan GT-R (although there could be more). I supose Mitsu could make the USDM EVO with a transfercase but they would have to rotate the engine 90 degrees first.
First thanks for the nice reply! That was very nice of you!

Secondly, I think you are just ignoring the fact that called that 90 degree coupler a transfer case for a while, because that is what it is. It transfers the power/torque to the different angle. And, 180 degrees doesn't count as such, since most of the transitions would have to be called that due to the transfer of 180 degrees between the input and output shaft.

The transfer cases that you are talking about are typically part of the track type drivetrain, where they usually have a reduction gears in there as well, so they can go high and low when they need to. And inside those transfer/reduction cases, power/torque gets shifted to the other planes, so it can continue to go elsewhere (typically at the 180 degree angle and you get two output shafts out from it.

As of you calling the differentials something else, I don't even want to touch that one!

So, now it is completely up to you how you are going to call those parts and be in peace with it! Or just call the and tell them they have some naming issues that have to be fixed ASAP!

Or just relax and have a or two!

Mr. AWD
Old Dec 11, 2002, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by TearItUpSports
Yes, all the DSM's have transfer cases. The center diff is inside the transmission housing. A shaft from it goes to the transfer case, which changes the direction 90 degrees and turns the drive shaft
I don't know why Mitsu would call this a transfer case. Here is a picture of a 4WD drivetrain. The differentials and transfer case are clearly labeled.

The DSM and EVO drivetrains are not designed like this.

It seems Mitsu just put the front differential and the center differential in the same housing and called it a 'transfer case' to make it sound important.

Here is a picture of a transfer case:

And here is a differential:

This picture looks just like the differential and nothing like the transfer case:
Old Dec 11, 2002, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

UUhhmm, doesn't the above discussion belong in the tech forums?
Old Dec 11, 2002, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
You are right evomk8. This whole thread started as a clone of the identical one at the beginning and now is a tech discussion (and a small organ measurement contest). If someone could move it to the Tech forum, it might get few more responses before it dies!

Mr. AWD
Old Dec 11, 2002, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know why Mitsu would call this a transfer case. Here is a picture of a 4WD drivetrain. The differentials and transfer case are clearly labeled.

You are right, they are not like your picture. The difference is that a DSM/EVO engine is not longitudal. The engine and transmission are turned 90 degrees from your picture above. In a DSM the engine is crank is PARALLEL to the front axles as is the transmission. Inside the transmission is also the center differential. A completely SEPARATE part is the transfer case which is nothing but a 90 degree power translation gear. There is no slipping, etc...Its just 2 45 degree angle gears used for power translation. It looks identical to your EVO picture of the ACD, except that in a DSM there is no differential inside.
ON the EVO it looks like they put the Center diff inside the Transfer case.
Also I should note, because it seems it is confusing to some people, that the transfer case (as in the pic of the ACD above), has nothing to do with the front axles. It may look like it, but the axles do not go into the transfer case. In the picture above, a shaft from the transmission would go into the transfer case on the side of the large clutch disk. Nothing goes in the opposite side, it is just there for support and to keep it on axis. Out the back is where the driveshaft is. The front axles go into the transmission directly, which is where the front differential is. Your picture above is only showing the center diff inside the transfer case.

What is so stupid is that no one can seem to grasp that something on one car can be called a transfer case, and something a bit different on another car can ALSO be called a transfer case, and really none of our lives our going to be changed by this. You can both be right and wrong in this argument.

Stop the f'in arguing over such a stupid thing. If you guys like to argue so much, then take it offline, and spare us from reading this crap.

Last edited by TearItUpSports; Dec 11, 2002 at 11:15 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Mark F

It's every 7500 for the "Regular Maintenance Schedule" - which nobody qualifies for because if you look at the qualifications for the "Severe Maintenance Schedule" 99.9% of the population is going to qualify for that. The Severe schedule is every 3,000, not every 3,500. It's the same on all current models.
Isn't that exactly what I said? I admit I was off 500 miles, but I did mention looking for the "severe" schedule. If you're going to quote somebody's entire post, at least read it all.

Anyway, my feeling with this inital Evolution being devoid of all the bells and whistles is just another step in the trend of Mitsubishi's wait and see attitude. They were the last to the compact mini SUV market with the Outlander and they allowed Subaru to do all their marketing research on the rally car market. Now they are going to bring out a WRX-killer that brings no more technology to the table (except for Brembos, Recaros, etc) and more horsepower. If Subaru rolls out with an STi next year, Mitsu will come back with 300+hp, ACD, AYC, and whatever other acronyms people get off on. Its no big deal, relax people.
You've all got to realize it comes down to the benjamins the company will make. Everybody slamming Mitsu for not bringing out the full car, or calling the upcoming Evo "nothing but a 4-door GSX" better already have a 3000GTVR4 or a GSX in their driveway, because unless you helped out by buying one of these vehicles new, you have no reason to criticise a company for being a bit gun shy. With only a small margin of turbo vehicles making up the sales of the last of those two cars, the US market basically told Mitsu not to engineer them or offer them for sale. Now Subaru has proven otherwise with the success of the WRX, so Mitsubishi is going to start off by bringing no more technology then they did and reap the benefits of less parts less warranty claims and higher profits along the way.

Last edited by GPTourer; Dec 11, 2002 at 11:20 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 11:57 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Thumbs down Please pass the crack pipe... I need another hit

Originally posted by TOMMY B
Expect the car to arrive at dealers in late Feb. The first year only 5000 will be produced.
MSRP is slated to be just a hair under 30K, but don't expect to be able to purchase one for that, most dealers will tack on an add'l 15K, and add another 2500 for the "optional" PitPass (TM) which is a sort of service contract that covers routine maintanence (including the synthetic oil changes).
Horsepower is claimed to be 271, torque 273.
Aluminum front fenders and hood, One vent in center of hood instead of 2, Brembo brakes front and rear, ABS, Enkie wheels and super sticky street rubber (10K life expectancy),Race? seats with slots for 5 point harnesses and clear altezza style taillights. It will also have a water spray system for the intercooler.
75% will come with sunroofs. Short and Tall spoilers will be available.
I realize this is hearsay for now, but some of this tells me Mitsubishi has been listening to the soccer mom "market analysts" again.

1. A $30K Evo8, even without AYC/ACD and "only" 271 hp is still a good deal. Plenty of performance for the price. A $45K Evo8 is going to collect dust on the dealer lot. $45K is getting into some rather hasty company - M3, Z06, imported Evo7/6.5s, etc.
2. $2500 for a PitPass? Is this for the life of the car? $2500 is a *lot* of oil changes. Even factoring in routine differential and transmission fluid changes, that's a lot.
3. 271/273 - good enough.
4. "Super sticky street rubber" *might* last 10K miles. But that's the price ya gotta pay if ya wanna play Whoever said "just put some good all-season tires on" needs a severe kick in the nuts.
5. 75% will have a sunroof? ****ing idiots. I'm not sure what else to say. I hope some of ya'll want one, because I know I don't.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 12:36 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm trying to not get one as we speek. Don't need that extra weight and ridgity sacraficed. Most ppl like sunroof and i dont' know why? Not on a evo at least! That's a rally car. Sort of like getting an automatic evo. Its wrong.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by GPTourer

Everybody slamming Mitsu for not bringing out the full car, or calling the upcoming Evo "nothing but a 4-door GSX" better already have a 3000GTVR4 or a GSX in their driveway, because unless you helped out by buying one of these vehicles new, you have no reason to criticise a company for being a bit gun shy.
Actually I bought my '95 AWD brand new and have been waiting for a new car for some time. Don't get me wrong I understand your point perfectly but having waited this long, I am, or will be dissapointed if the car comes with anything less then it did elsewhere.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Actually I bought my '95 AWD brand new and have been waiting for a new car for some time. Don't get me wrong I understand your point perfectly but having waited this long, I am, or will be dissapointed if the car comes with anything less then it did elsewhere.
Then I agree with you, and thus my comments were not directed at you. It's kinda like the pony car wars. All the Bow-tie people wanted was more power then the Blue oval people. 8 cylinders, gobs of torque, RWD was all they needed. there was no outcry for t-control, ABS, or any other fancy gadgets, although they just kinda showed up anyway as they years wore on. The fancy Cobras, IROCs, Bullits, SS and WS6's were the specialty ones, but the bread and butter GT's and Z-28's were supposed to make the money and represent most of the units. Maybe one car will eventually put the other out of business, or maybe they can both survive, no one knows yet. In the above example, it wasn't the most powerful or IMO the best looking car that won anyway. Mitsubishi is just doing a counter routine, stick and move stick and move.

Last edited by GPTourer; Dec 11, 2002 at 03:37 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

I do see how waiting and using Subaru to find out what the market is like could help Mitsubishi, but with Subaru putting variable valve timing and their ACD on their car, as well as more power (I read that it might have 230kw, in Japan anyway) Subaru will probably capture the market, and make Mitsubishi's car look like a copy, lossing them even more sales. If they can get the market straight away then Mitsubishi won't sell many Evolution VIII's anyway, even if they do release a better version later. I have seen this happen before.
Aston
Old Dec 11, 2002, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by astondg
Subaru will probably capture the market, and make Mitsubishi's car look like a copy, lossing them even more sales. If they can get the market straight away then Mitsubishi won't sell many Evolution VIII's anyway, even if they do release a better version later. I have seen this happen before.
Aston
How can they lose sales on a car that hasn't been released yet? You are projecting two cars that are both dreams right now for us. The American market is so fickle nobody can predict it, so there's no way to tell if Subaru will "capture" anything. All Mitsu engineers and marketing analysts have that is concrete is WRX specs and WRX sales, that's it. Having better performance didn't keep the Cambird from beating out the Mustang, so why bring out a top gun EVO that costs 32+ (I'm guessing) with which is what is undoubtedly going to be compared to a 23K WRX? Why not just beat them at their own game first and raise the bar later? And that's if you call the EVO wer'e getting a copy. At just under 30K with a 44hp advantage, Brembos, FMIC, Recaros and carbon fiber wing. I would say they raised the bar quite nicely.

Last edited by GPTourer; Dec 12, 2002 at 12:58 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by 4G63_Attack

what the hell at you talking about "rev-match in order to engage a certain gear" something tells me that you don't know much about cars do you ???? first of all do you know what does a syncro do ????

syncro or synchronized gears is a special internal clutches to prevent gear clash when shifting. the purpose of the syncro is to move ahead of the unit that is to be meshed, seize the other unit, and bring the rotational speed of both units together. once both units are rotating at the same speed, they may be meshed.
Um, yes, I know perfectly well what a syncro is. Sorry I didn't bother going into detail about the exact mechanics. However, yes, if you've ever driven a big-rigg or any number of older cars without syncros, you have to get the RPM's to a certain point in order to engage the next gear (whether higher or lower). I have a class-A commercial drivers license and that is a very large part of driving large trucks (who frequently lack syncros) and is addressed in much of the training for driving those trucks. And exactly as you pointed out, it brings the rotational speed of both units together to be meshed, which is EXACTLY what rev-matching does. Try driving something without syncros before jumping on my case because you don't understand what I'm saying Something tells me that you don't know much about cars do you, except what you've read in a text book.

Last edited by Liandrin11; Dec 11, 2002 at 07:43 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.howstuffworks.com/transmission4.htm
here is a web site that tell how a Synchronizers
work, it's job is to engage!!!! engage!!! (Read my lips EN-GAGE)the next gear and take it up to speed. Thats all it's does, and don't tell me when the gears pop out it's also the Synchronizer. Is not
Old Dec 11, 2002, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

It seems Mitsu just put the front differential and the center differential in the same housing and called it a 'transfer case' to make it sound important.

Here is a picture of a transfer case:

And here is a differential:

This picture looks just like the differential and nothing like the transfer case:
actually, i have a twin turbo steath, all wheel drive, same as 3000gt vr4. my engine is set up like a front wheel drive car, its perpendicular to the forward motion of the car. it has a tranfercase. but it works more like a rear diff of a car. a transfer case doesnt have to transfer power horizontally to be called a transfer case; it just has to transfer power to a different direction before the drive shaft. the evo is set up similar to my car now, but stil slot different. the transfer styles you are talking about are seen in trucks and suvs. i have broken my transfer case because it leaked at the yolk, and then i rebuilt it myself, and had a machine shop machine weld friction diff (not sure what its called, but its held together by friction and no splines) and its stronger than from the factory... i seriously hope mitsu builds the transfer case on the evo beter than mine was built. when it locked up i was on the highway, going 80, locking the rear wheels sending me into a flat spin stoping in the middle of the road with traffic coming at me. i was lucky, and no-one hit me (also lucky i have a really low center of gravity preventing me from fliping). but the rear wheels were lock and i couldnt move it to the the side of the road... kinda sucked.

Quick Reply: Final Specs Released!!!!!!