Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

04/05 Evo Transfer case better than 03s?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2004, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i have a 03, my car whines and im pretty sure T-case is gonna go soon (PRAY TO GOD IT DOESNT ANYTIME SOON), but the thing is, as im accelerating in 5th, it'll whine a lil, then if i hold it at abotut 75% open throttle it'll whine like HELL. THen when i keep it at about 40% open throttle, absolute silence. Anyways, what do u suggest i do while its still working? I heard somethin about puttin a quaiffe differential in? Could i put a 04/05 TC into my 03 without any heavy modifications? i was gonna look for 1 at a junkyard or internet, but i def dont wanna go wit anohter 03 TC if i can go wit anything else. Also, my friend mentioned somethin about strengthenin the tranny, somethin how they take it apart and freeze the gears and some kinda process like that, any process like that for a TC to withstand 100000s of launches?
Old Dec 1, 2004, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have that whine, changing the differential alone isn't going to fix the problem. You should replace the bearings while you have the t-case apart and make sure the bearings are shimmed to have the correct endplay. Too bad mitsu doesn't offer any replacement parts for the t-cases. I'm sure some shop will spec out replacement parts for it eventually. I'd contact John Sheperd (www.shepracing.com) or TRE (www.teamrip.com). Maybe they have something already.

An 04 t-case should fit into your car. The 05 t-cases have the ACD stuff, so I don't think it'll work.

The whining problem isn't caused by lack of strength. It's caused by assembly error. Most likely, the bearings were shimmed too tightly which caused them to wear out really fast. Cryo treating the gears will do nothing to fix this problem.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh yea i kno cryogenically freezin the TC wont help crap to stop the whining, but im just using that as an example to see if theres any methods out there to strengthen the TC (ie: for dragging, etc...) basically "bulletproofing" the driveline.