Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Driveing thru a puddle sound like exaust dissapears

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2005, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wu343
I just for about 3 hours straight and it has not gone away? What should I do? I cannot stand how loud it is.

sounds like ur exaust is still new get it replaced. or live with it .. sounds like you answerd ur own question if you dont want to get it replaced you can probably look into buying a silencer from wher enot sure i have heard ebay has them for sale or possably a muffler shop can make one up.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 08:33 AM

I've had this too - drive through a (big) puddle, and the exhaust note gets louder (and slightly muffled). 15 or 20 seconds later and the note returns to normal. I'm running the stock downpipe and catalyst, with a BR cat-back. We've had snow here over the last couple of days, and the roads are slushy - so it's like driving through one big puddle! The note gets louder for a minute or so, quietens downs, then gets louder again when I hit the next stretch of slush. I had the car through last winter, with the stock exhaust, and didn't have a problem. I have noticed that, although the louder note comes from the rear (obviously), I get the impression that it starts near my feet, in the centre of the car - where the catalyst is! I did call Jarrod at BR to see if he's heard of any problems like this - he hasn't.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparkin3
I've had this too - drive through a (big) puddle, and the exhaust note gets louder (and slightly muffled). 15 or 20 seconds later and the note returns to normal. I'm running the stock downpipe and catalyst, with a BR cat-back.

Same here. I just installed the BR downpipe and high flow cat. I have not experienced the increased sound yet, but its only been on for about two weeks now.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

HEY your from WV! Not sure if I've talked to you before. Do you autox at the greyhound track or laidly field? I'm from Cross Lanes.

I've seen a few EVO's around here and haven't been able to flag anyone down :|
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

Well it is not the Exhaust. The Mitsu dealer still does not know the source of the problem. When you rev the engine up to 4k RPM it starts to make the loud sound. When the technician grabs a hold of the drive shaft for the rear wheels the noise goes away. The drive shaft does vibrate a lot while the car is in idle. Any subjections?
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

Well it is not the Exhaust. The Mitsu dealer still does not know the source of the problem. When you rev the engine up to 4k RPM it starts to make the loud sound. When the technician grabs a hold of the drive shaft for the rear wheels the noise goes away. The drive shaft does vibrate a lot while the car is in idle. Any subjections?

sounds like the dealer ship needs to fix ur issue
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

They are working one it. I just got a status update and they still have no idea what it could be. He is currently checking the engine balance.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

They are working one it. I just got a status update and they still have no idea what it could be. He is currently checking the engine balance.

well when u find out let me know whats up cuz could be whats going on with my exaust issue also and the drive train might be vibrating into the exaust pipe i made.. who knows.. keep us updated.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

^you have mine on now, doesnt that work betta?
Old Jan 11, 2005, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blackevoVII
^you have mine on now, doesnt that work betta?

yes i got urs on no it hasnt rained since i put it on i found one small puddle and it didnt do it but still no normal size puddles that i can play in.. time will tell.. doesnt do any thing weird unless i went thru a puddle.. what doesnt make sence to me

thanks for the loaner
Old Jan 11, 2005, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

I just put the stock exhaust system on before it went to the dealer and it is still the same noise. It had nothing to do with my exhaust.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

You always were my father's favorite. WTF.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

aww
Old Jan 11, 2005, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

I just get a call from the dealer. They told me that the balancer was off by 180 degrees and that is what was making the vibration.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

I got the car back and it sounded fine just a little more of a low RPM whine then before. Once I got about 2 blocks from he dealer the check engine light came on. It is back at the dealer now and it will not get anymore work done until tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Driveing thru a puddle sound like exaust dissapears