Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is there any way to keep tabs on your fuel pump??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2004, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there any way to keep tabs on your fuel pump??

After reading countless horror stories about failing fuel pumps on Evos (im sure there are other cars that have this prob too) I'm wondering if there is anyway to moniter your fuel pump? I don't know about you guys but I can't afford to replace my motor because of a failed fuel pump (Lol and u can be for sh**t sure Mitsu won't warranty it!) Im sure Walbro isn't going to pay for it either. Any ideas??
Old Dec 1, 2004, 08:36 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NYREDEVO
After reading countless horror stories about failing fuel pumps on Evos (im sure there are other cars that have this prob too) I'm wondering if there is anyway to moniter your fuel pump? I don't know about you guys but I can't afford to replace my motor because of a failed fuel pump (Lol and u can be for sh**t sure Mitsu won't warranty it!) Im sure Walbro isn't going to pay for it either. Any ideas??

Fuel pressure gauge... you can opt. for one with a warning light.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tape.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

tape?? what do you mean?
Old Dec 1, 2004, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
Fuel pressure gauge... you can opt. for one with a warning light.

Yep I would agree. 3 best gauges in a turbo charged cars, BOOST, ETG and Fuel pressure.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 08:56 AM

What you need to buy is a pressure transducer or pressure sensor, that will be connected to a warning light. Honeywell Part # MM050PG1QA will sense a 50 PSI
input. They have a range from 0-5000 PSI sensors, you will have to wire a light or buzzer and figure out how to mount the sensor to the pressure side of the fuel system.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

jun...thats sounds WAAAYYYYY to complicated...i like the fuel pressure gauge idea i think....
Old Dec 1, 2004, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

i would say the 3 best guages are boost, oil pressure, and fuel pressure
Old Dec 1, 2004, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

I like to know what are the signs of a failing fuel pump and isn't there a saftely in the ECU to prevent the motor from grenading from a fail fuel pump?

My walboro have been whining like a bitc* these pass few weeks during the cold weather.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

A fuel pressure gauge is nice but you better be alert and quick enough on the switch to shut things down should it become necessary. Air craft use redundant systems to provide safety. A second fuel pump would be a good fail safe if you are overly concerned. The simpler solution and one with some additional merit would be to get rid of the stock pump then upgrade to the Walbro everyone raves about.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by 92gsxbaltimore
i would say the 3 best guages are boost, oil pressure, and fuel pressure
I concur.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 09:32 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by GOKOU
I like to know what are the signs of a failing fuel pump and isn't there a saftely in the ECU to prevent the motor from grenading from a fail fuel pump?

My walboro have been whining like a bitc* these pass few weeks during the cold weather.
Signs of failure are that your pump no longer holds a steady fuel pressure as you go throuh a WOT pull in 4th gear - if the fuel preesure is faling faster tha the boost when you need a larger pump

You want a rock steady fuel pressure under all driving conditions - only rising and falling with boost reference
Old Dec 1, 2004, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Signs of failure are that your pump no longer holds a steady fuel pressure as you go throuh a WOT pull in 4th gear - if the fuel preesure is faling faster tha the boost when you need a larger pump

You want a rock steady fuel pressure under all driving conditions - only rising and falling with boost reference
Thanks but that would require an in dash fuel pressure gauge. I was hoping it would be something noticeable by ear or something else that is minor.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Yea...I have a Walbro pump, but Ive heard alot of stories about them failing on higher HP applications also(The 470 Hp Evo in SCC challenge, The RRE Car had a prob i belive) There has to be a better way to moniter your fuel pump