Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Vishnu Exhaust for $1150 or Hayward and Scott turboback for $1200

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2004, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Vishnu Exhaust for $1150 or Hayward and Scott turboback for $1200?

I am planning to get a nice exhaust for my Evo and I am leaning towards the Hayward and Scott exhaust over the Vishu Standard turboback mainly because of the sound that the H&S makes and also it seems to offer better horsepower in the low/midrage levels(not by much though).

I really like the look of the Visnhu exhaust and the price is slightly better.......any thoughts?

Vishnu cat-back exhaust(video clip)
http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/alb.../exhaust03.wmv

H & S turbo back video clip
http://www.joe250.com/cars/evo/hands.mpg

btw....I also planned to get the H&S exhaust manifold and O2 housing.

Last edited by giumela; Dec 1, 2004 at 03:21 PM.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

i got JIC manifold for sale used 8k miles and i also got it themal coated, 400$ + shipping header new is over 800$ and thermal coating and shipping was another 100 so your loss my gain if your interested , btw only took header off because i got turbo upgrade = )
Old Dec 1, 2004, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i like the sound of the h and s. the vishnu didnt sound that good at all , all i could hear was the engine
Old Dec 1, 2004, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

vishnu turboback w/ hiflow cat on my 'o3 has magnaflow muffler and it's deep toned and pretty loud. my dogs hear me coming from blocks away.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you found that sound clip on my site. (Sorry the editing was a little cheesy). I sold the H&S system along with almost all my other race parts when I got rid of my '03. I have heard a number of Evo exhausts and so far, the H&S was by far my favorite. It was way more aggressive-sounding than stock without being painfully loud.

However, I didn't keep it to put on my '05 because I didn't want to deal with the drone on the freeway. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't terribly pleasant, either. I haven't spent any time driving an Evo w/ the Vishnu system, but I imagine the resonator helps get rid of the drone.

My 2 cents? If you are going racing, get the H&S for certain. If you drive for long periods of time on the freeway, definitely look into the Vishnu. If you just do backroads driving, I'd say its a toss-up.

Hope that helps.

Joe
www.joe250.com
Old Dec 1, 2004, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Joe250
Glad you found that sound clip on my site. (Sorry the editing was a little cheesy). I sold the H&S system along with almost all my other race parts when I got rid of my '03. I have heard a number of Evo exhausts and so far, the H&S was by far my favorite. It was way more aggressive-sounding than stock without being painfully loud.

However, I didn't keep it to put on my '05 because I didn't want to deal with the drone on the freeway. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't terribly pleasant, either. I haven't spent any time driving an Evo w/ the Vishnu system, but I imagine the resonator helps get rid of the drone.

My 2 cents? If you are going racing, get the H&S for certain. If you drive for long periods of time on the freeway, definitely look into the Vishnu. If you just do backroads driving, I'd say its a toss-up.

Hope that helps.

Joe
www.joe250.com
You sold your exhaust?! man, and I really wanted your O2 housing and headers.

I have the H&S system (turboback, standard muffler) and the drone isn't bad IMO. I think it was worse for Joe as he had a different muffler than me. If you do a search you'll find my old thread somewhere that has some pictures so you can see what I'm talking about. But all in all I'm really pleased with my system (although it doesn't seem to be very popular around these parts).
Old Dec 1, 2004, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for your help guys.....I think that I will go with the H&S and get a smaller tip on the muffler....that way it will will not sound as "rattly" if that's even a word.

Joe I think that you had a 4.5" tip....I might go to 3.5 or maybe a 4".
Joe what do you think of the manifold and the O2 housing? is it worth it for $1000 for both...I mean in terms of performance....is there any significant improvement? Thanks again....oh and how do you like your 05...did you notice an improvement in handling or performace?
Old Dec 1, 2004, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

downpipe and cat/testpipe don't matter...as long as the fitment is correct..they are pretty much the same.

i know this isn't one of your choices...but i love my turbo XS catback...
Old Dec 1, 2004, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by giumela
Thanks for your help guys.....I think that I will go with the H&S and get a smaller tip on the muffler....that way it will will not sound as "rattly" if that's even a word.

Joe what do you think of the manifold and the O2 housing? is it worth it for $1000 for both...I mean in terms of performance....is there any significant improvement? Thanks again....oh and how do you like your 05...did you notice an improvement in handling or performace?
giumela, where are you finding the manifold and O2 housing for 1000 dollars? I emailed H&S a while back and they quoted me £1000 which equates to ~2000 USD dollars which was way too much for me.
Old Dec 1, 2004, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Hmmm...

I don't think the tip makes much difference noise-wise. We went w/ the headers more to drop weight off the front end than for power. More than one person has posted on here and said the stock headers are not all that restrictive. Same w/ the 02 housing. Performance per $? Sounds like you could find a better mod in that regard.

Also, Denial is correct. He and I ran different mufflers on our H&S systems. Mine was a short, small diameter, straight-through design. Their regular street system might be just right for normal street driving.

I have noticed a number of improvements on my '05, all of them fairly subtle. The engine feels much smoother and the extra midrange is nice. The FLSD and ACD are very suble and I notice them only on twisty roads, especially in the wet.

Later,
Joe
Old Dec 1, 2004, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Denial,

I got the quote from Brian at Rally Performance...if your interested you shoukd contact him. He's a very nice guy.

http://www.rallyperformance.com/lancersport.htm
Old Dec 1, 2004, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

Denial,

I got the quote from Brian at Rally Performance...if your interested you shoukd contact him. He's a very nice guy.

http://www.rallyperformance.com/lancersport.htm
ack, that'll save a few. thanks!
Old Dec 1, 2004, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

go for it Denial.....hope you get it.

Joe,

Which aftermarket exhaust are you using for your 05? if any....Also I am also interested in getting an 05 but I'm having a hard time finding it in yellow...but I'll keep trying....my question is what was the mahor reason for getting an 05 and do you think now looking in retrospect...was it worth it? Thanks man!
Old Dec 1, 2004, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

bump for Joe
Old Dec 2, 2004, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

go for it Denial.....hope you get it.

Joe,

Which aftermarket exhaust are you using for your 05? if any....Also I am also interested in getting an 05 but I'm having a hard time finding it in yellow...but I'll keep trying....my question is what was the mahor reason for getting an 05 and do you think now looking in retrospect...was it worth it? Thanks man!
No aftermarket exhaust at the moment. If I bought one today, I would likely go with the Vishnu. The H&S system would be a close second.

Yes, I'm very happy that I upgraded. I handed the dealer the keys to my old car and a few grand, he handed me the keys to an '05. For me it was a very easy choice and I don't regret it at all. The major reason I upgraded was that my '03 was in need of some TLC after racing it all season. Also, I really wanted a white no-sunroof car, so when I got the opportunity to trade-up (cheaply), I did.

BTW, the reason you are having problems finding a yellow Evo is that Mitsu realized no one wants to drive that horrible color! I kid, I kid.

Later,
Joe

Quick Reply: Vishnu Exhaust for $1150 or Hayward and Scott turboback for $1200