Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mitsubishi not standing behind their EVO's..........hmmmm funny..........

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2004, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure Mitsu is looking to cut costs but in their bigger financial picture I'm sure denying warranty claims on EVO's is not even on their financial radar. Every manufacturer does this (deny warranty coverage on modified cars) regardless of their corporate health.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 10:34 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You know, if the mitsubishi dealership wont warranty the work and if they really care about the owners, then least thing they could do is give us some discount on work, instead of turning their back on us.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 10:52 AM

I'm not sure I'd consider refusing to finance the damage caused by modifications that clearly void the warranty is what I'd call "turning their back." I'm sure somce service departments do whatever they can to help and retain their customers without losing time and money but if they do they do. If they don't then they don't and I wouldn't expect anything less. My service department has been pretty good to me but I'd never take them a car with modifications and expect them to do free warranty repair.

I think caring only goes so far. The service department is in business. They're not your buddy. They'll do whatever they can reasonably and professionally do without losing money or approving repairs that Mistu may disapprove.

Does anybody here really think they can modify their car (any car) AND / OR Race their car (especially what drag racing does to a drive-line) and think the dealer SHOULD warrant the car??

After running your 13.3 your clutch slips....would you take that to the dealer for warranty replacement?
Old Dec 3, 2004, 11:12 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you obviously don't understand the warranty issues that people are having.

of course I wouldn't take it back to them and demand then to replace my clutch, although a lot of people have done that and few of them actually got their clutch replaced under warranty.

If my warranty on the syncros is denied because having a boost gauge (true story) before I got all my mods (all 2), wouldn't that **** you off? Well that happened to me.

The dealer must prove that your failure in parts are due to your aftermarket modification. However, they wont even touch the car. This is about 80% of the dealership.

I was fortunate to find a dealership 300 miles away from where I live that could help me out.

So if you're talking about people going to the dealership and trying to fix things that they obviously know they broke because of their modification, no, that's wrong and fraud.

But if you know if the car manufacture had a defective part on your car but is denied warranty because you have a mod that's completely unrelated to the problem, that's wrong in the manufacturers part. It just doesn't make any sense.

what's the point of marketing the car as a rally car or sports car if the dealers expect you to drive it like a corolla or camry?

I did take my clutch to the dealership and they replace it with an aftermaket clutch. Then again, it was slipping long before I did that run.

business is business, but saying something like will just make you look ignorant, because foundation of a good business is people relations and these reasonable warranty claims being denied is wrong and not a good business.

By the way, the transmission problem started from day one on 1g DSM. They had this problem for the longest time and mitsubishi just wont fix the engineering flaw for generations.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by beebers
I'm not sure I'd consider refusing to finance the damage caused by modifications that clearly void the warranty is what I'd call "turning their back." I'm sure somce service departments do whatever they can to help and retain their customers without losing time and money but if they do they do. If they don't then they don't and I wouldn't expect anything less. My service department has been pretty good to me but I'd never take them a car with modifications and expect them to do free warranty repair.
So you believe that everyone has been having their problem because of modifications? Sounds like a Mitsu rep to me. I have read plenty of these threads from those without mods and without running there Evo's ragged. The ordeal of being profiled a Street Racer just because you own an Evo has to stop.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 11:40 AM

Again I think it's simple. You read the warranty. It says up front your modify or you race and the warranty is gone. You still decide to put in a boost gauge then yes your warranty for you syncros is possibly void. Do I think they are related. No of course I don't but it wouldn't **** me off because I made the choice to risk the warranty. You may find some dealerships that are flexible with that and others that aren't. I'm sure the service managers are dealing with at least three different situations all the time....1) My car fails--no moidifications--in for warranty repair, 2) My car fails--some modifications that seem to not be related to what failed but if you have one modification that violates the warranty who knows what modifications you removed before showing up with the car, and 3) I obviously race and modify my car yet I expect you'll fix it for free. Unless there is a smoking gun of modifications they really don't know so if you come in with just one is it reasonable to expect that maybe you have or have had more....and maybe one of those caused the failure....maybe it didn't. Either way they make it simple...racing and modifications void the warranty. And before everyone starts citing the Magnusson-Moss act I know all about it. Bottom line Magnusson-Moss or otherwise I'd say while you're trying to prove or disprove that your modification didn't cause your failure your EVO is parked and borken for who knows how long. You made the choice to take the warranty-roulette when you made the modification.

I'm not arguing if people should modify or not. I'm just saying if you do decide to modify understand the consequences and understand it MAY void your warranty and don't be all flipped out that Mitsu sucks when it does.

With that said I'm sure there are people with valid warranty issues and I read many of them on here. Sadly for them there are also people launching their AWD EVO at 5K and then returning their glazed clutches for warranty replacement. Unfortunately the bad apples contribute to dragging down the honest claims.

How they market the car is how they sell it. I've road raced other cars for years but never did I expect that a showroom car would stand up to racing conditions over and over again and still be under warranty. That's marketing. If you expect that the EVO is a race car under warranty that's called sponsorship.

I'm sure there are many valid and in-valid warranty claims. All I'm saying is that if you choose to put your warranty into a risky area by modifying your car and/or racing it then that's exactly where your warranty is.

Originally Posted by plokivos

of course I wouldn't take it back to them and demand then to replace my clutch, although a lot of people have done that and few of them actually got their clutch replaced under warranty.

If my warranty on the syncros is denied because having a boost gauge (true story) before I got all my mods (all 2), wouldn't that **** you off? Well that happened to me.

The dealer must prove that your failure in parts are due to your aftermarket modification. However, they wont even touch the car. This is about 80% of the dealership.

I was fortunate to find a dealership 300 miles away from where I live that could help me out.

So if you're talking about people going to the dealership and trying to fix things that they obviously know they broke because of their modification, no, that's wrong and fraud.

But if you know if the car manufacture had a defective part on your car but is denied warranty because you have a mod that's completely unrelated to the problem, that's wrong in the manufacturers part. It just doesn't make any sense.

what's the point of marketing the car as a rally car or sports car if the dealers expect you to drive it like a corolla or camry?

I did take my clutch to the dealership and they replace it with an aftermaket clutch. Then again, it was slipping long before I did that run.

business is business, but saying something like will just make you look ignorant, because foundation of a good business is people relations and these reasonable warranty claims being denied is wrong and not a good business.

By the way, the transmission problem started from day one on 1g DSM. They had this problem for the longest time and mitsubishi just wont fix the engineering flaw for generations.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 11:45 AM

Nope...I'm sure as I said there are many valid claims out there and real warranty issues for cars not modified or raced...and I do think Mitsu should stand behind them.

On that same note I do get tired of reading guys with a signature full of modifications and 1/4-miles times pissing and moaning about how Mitsu sucks because they won't fix my car for free.

The profiling is there I'm sure...but I'm sure they see just as many valid non-modified non-racing claims as they do obvious racing / modification claims.

And if you think any Mitus rep would spend the time out here debating this I think you're crashing off the conspiracy-theory side of the highway.

Originally Posted by EVOLust
So you believe that everyone has been having their problem because of modifications? Sounds like a Mitsu rep to me. I have read plenty of these threads from those without mods and without running there Evo's ragged. The ordeal of being profiled a Street Racer just because you own an Evo has to stop.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

This topic has been beaten to death but it's really VERY simple. Personally when I bought the car I KNEW that making modifications to the car meant NO WARRANTY. I made the choice to NOT modify the car so my warranty would be fine. You made the choice to modify the car so your warranty is questionable. If you know going in, that ANY modification makes your warranty questionable and you still modify the car then you've assumed the risk.

How is this suddenly a global problem with all Mitsu cars or all Mitsu dealers? Check any warranty on just about ANY car and you'll find a clause about modifications and how they adversely affect your warranty.

I'm amazed that people think they can alter something on a car and expect the manufacturer/dealer to stand behind that car from a warranty standpoint. If the car came with an MBC then the dealer should stand behind that MBC and how it may affect the rest of the car. If you add the MBC then don't be surprised when they don't.

It's so simple. If you want the warranty DON'T modify your car. If you still want to modify your car then do it knowing your warranty may or may not still be in effect and don't get PO'd when it's not.
If you read the first post that started this thread, my MBC is set at 18psi, not 19psi like it is from the factory. Please read before you post again, thanks. Also, how does a MBC effect an axle seal? You must work at a DSM dealer......huh? If you must know, every turbo car that I've had or even n/a car that I've had has been modified. I don't care if your EVO is stock or not. In power mods, your see in my sig. that I have a MBC (lower boost than stock set at 18psi) so the car doesn't jerk around from 13psi - 19psi in stock form. Before you start bashing me about my situation, read the whole thread. Beaten or not about this subject, doesn't matter to me. This is my case and this happened to me. How does a passenger rear 1/4 panel effect a leak in the driverside front? Can you answer this. I don't know many people who have modified their rear 1/4 panels, have you?
Old Dec 3, 2004, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

I think caring only goes so far. The service department is in business. They're not your buddy. They'll do whatever they can reasonably and professionally do without losing money or approving repairs that Mistu may disapprove.

Does anybody here really think they can modify their car (any car) AND / OR Race their car (especially what drag racing does to a drive-line) and think the dealer SHOULD warrant the car??

After running your 13.3 your clutch slips....would you take that to the dealer for warranty replacement?
Hmmmmmmm..........you raise an interesting point. How do they test the car? They do run tests like skidpad, 1/4 & 0-60 right? Why can't the owners? So If an EVO owner takes their car to the track and the clutch slips and he runs a 13.3 like the magazine says, is he at fault b/c the clutch slips? It's not that the car has a weak clutch huh? It's the drivers fault?!? That doesn't make any sense. You must work for a dealer. Plus, it shows your a newby, you haven't had time to browse. I'll cut you some slack about that. Again, do a search and then come talk to me.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by plokivos

UPDATE:

Per a service manager (remaining nameless), stock clutch is under warranty for 8K miles. Just an FYI.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try Fazeli man. They seem to care about the customer.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Actually the clutch is warranted for 12k miles, read your owners manual. Also, there is a TSB for replacing the fifth gear syncro, do a search, print it out and get it fixed by the dealer under warranty. Lastly, who installed your clutch? Is it a front axle seal leaking? Pay them for the seal when they have the tranny out replacing the 5th gear syncro, and complain to whomever installed you clutch if you're still mad.

Can't help you with the water leak. The recall was for the passenger side leaking anyway.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, Mitsubishi stands behind their cars, kinda like the 7-bolt 4g63's huh, Beebers? Crank walken like crazy on just about everyone of them. I've replaced about 15-20 myself with 6-bolt's which are hard to find for friends and different people. Don't talk to me about Mitsubishi and they do this and that. Also, nothing is voided with your warranty unless an aftermarket part has altered it in anyway to cause it to fail. If you hydolock your engine with a CAI w/o a bypass valve, that's on your tab. If it hydrolocked b/c water seeped through your vent on your hood, that's on Mitsu. It's common sense. A MBC will not cause an axle seal to leak. bottome line. Especially when it's set at a lower psi. The car doesn't go any faster, unless your talking about a gov. being removed, by flashing, stand-alone, piggy-back ecu...etc. The car says it will go 142mph, the seal should hold to 142mph. Magazine's lie here and there, but we all know the truth about our cars. If you drive an EVO like you say, you can contest to this knowledge. I'm not trying to be an a$$ about this, but you just have to understand what I've been through. that's all............
Old Dec 3, 2004, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 992gnt
Actually the clutch is warranted for 12k miles, read your owners manual. Also, there is a TSB for replacing the fifth gear syncro, do a search, print it out and get it fixed by the dealer under warranty. Lastly, who installed your clutch? Is it a front axle seal leaking? Pay them for the seal when they have the tranny out replacing the 5th gear syncro, and complain to whomever installed you clutch if you're still mad.

Can't help you with the water leak. The recall was for the passenger side leaking anyway.
I'm at, is there anyways you can send me a link showing this info. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much. Apparently, the service manager was trying to low ball me, b/c you know how dealerships can be. I used to work at 1.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOTEXAS
Try Fazeli man. They seem to care about the customer.
I will, they are my last hope.

Gracias....