Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Lancer to battle on!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2002, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lancer to battle on!!

The Lancer lives!
December 11, 2002
Mitsubishi’s new motorsport chief Sven Quandt has confirmed that the Lancer will remain Mitsubishi’s World Championship rally car for the immediate future, quelling rumours that it would be discarded at once in favour of the Colt hatchback as part of the overhaul of Mitsubishi’s motorsport involvement.

The latest Lancer WRC hasn’t finished higher than fifth since it was introduced in October 2001 and Quandt decided to withdraw from the 2003 World Championship rather than persevere with the Lancer WRC2. However, he believes that it has potential.

“I can tell you that I think that the Lancer can be competitive, even as it is a bigger car than the other ones,” Quandt stated. “It would be nice to have a smaller car. We are checking all options, but I can tell you in 2004 we will go with the Lancer, because 12 months is really no time to develop a complete car. I doubt very much that the Colt will be ready. I can tell you that we are not even started. We are just evaluating and that’s a very early stage to tell you if it is possible or not. First we have to see that we get everything else right and then you can take that technology into another car as well.”

The Colt is too short to comply with the four-metre minimum length specified in World Rally Car regulations. Mitsubishi can still use it if it makes 2,500 versions that are long enough. Peugeot was permitted to use the 206 after making a limited run of 206GTs with longer bumpers.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

If will have to build at least 2500 special versions of a COLT EVO variant, we may see what led to the creation of the Lancer EVO as a Group A car happen all over again.
Can you say utra-performance 3-door hatch
Old Dec 11, 2002, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

At least this is a good sign. Mitsu's not abandoning the successful Lancer platform yet.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 07:49 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Homologation has always been a WRC rule so far as I can remember. I guess that's good and all...I dunno. I was hoping for a change.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Lancer to battle on!!

Originally posted by cannyboy
The Lancer lives!
December 11, 2002
Mitsubishi’s new motorsport chief Sven Quandt has confirmed that the Lancer will remain Mitsubishi’s World Championship rally car for the immediate future, quelling rumours that it would be discarded at once in favour of the Colt hatchback as part of the overhaul of Mitsubishi’s motorsport involvement.

The latest Lancer WRC hasn’t finished higher than fifth since it was introduced in October 2001 and Quandt decided to withdraw from the 2003 World Championship rather than persevere with the Lancer WRC2. However, he believes that it has potential.

“I can tell you that I think that the Lancer can be competitive, even as it is a bigger car than the other ones,” Quandt stated. “It would be nice to have a smaller car. We are checking all options, but I can tell you in 2004 we will go with the Lancer, because 12 months is really no time to develop a complete car. I doubt very much that the Colt will be ready. I can tell you that we are not even started. We are just evaluating and that’s a very early stage to tell you if it is possible or not. First we have to see that we get everything else right and then you can take that technology into another car as well.”

Well, they seem pretty serious...

Mitsubishi trying to rebuild
Reuters

LONDON -- Mitsubishi has recruited Italian Mario Fornaris from rally world champions Peugeot to help the struggling team return to the top in 2004.

The Japanese team, world champions in 1998, said last week they will sit out next year's title race to restructure their activities and develop a more competitive car for the following season.

They announced in a statement on Tuesday that Fornaris, 32, would join on January 1 as head of global engineering and technical director.

At Peugeot, he worked as chief development engineer for the 206 WRC project.

"We are turning around our world rally championship organization," said Mitsubishi motorsport head Sven Quandt. "With the appointment of Mario Fornaris, we are showing how seriously we take our return to the top of the sport."
Old Dec 11, 2002, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by evomk8
If will have to build at least 2500 special versions of a COLT EVO variant, we may see what led to the creation of the Lancer EVO as a Group A car happen all over again.
Can you say utra-performance 3-door hatch
Touché, evomk8. And I suspect that Sven Quandt is whistling Dixie and that his farewell is imminent.
Tschüs
Old Dec 12, 2002, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Seńor Info
Touché, evomk8. And I suspect that Sven Quandt is whistling Dixie and that his farewell is imminent.
Tschüs
You lost me...

Thanks for the Tschues. Mein Deutsch is so gut wie Tod. Ich kann kaum noch Schreiben... hope you understood that...
Old Dec 13, 2002, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

Sweet, lets hope we can see Lancer Evo IX and X some time in the future, I wouldn't mind waiting for those!