Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

why do people buy CF hoods?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2004, 02:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Derek888
the link doesnt work
really? works for me...... anyway, the seller is "innocentq318" if your really interested... starts hoods @ $1.00 with n/r

l8r
Old Dec 3, 2004, 02:24 AM
Evolved Member

cf hoods look nice...if the rides right..
Old Dec 3, 2004, 02:30 AM
Evolved Member

depends on color and style I like them on some cars but they just don't look right on others.
8 pounds is deffinately not worth 600+ bucks
Old Dec 3, 2004, 04:22 AM
Evolving Member

The link works for me. Looks like it could be a good deal. I thought I did well for 600$ from Z-1, although install was a pita especially with all the part atachments. Keep us updated as to how it goes.

PS
I added mine to an 04 silver evo and it certantly LOOKS faster! (Blingin')
Old Dec 3, 2004, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

Personaly i dont like how a carbon fiber hood looks on a car, i guess it look rice to me.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by moab3man
Personaly i dont like how a carbon fiber hood looks on a car, i guess it look rice to me.
Lets not get started with the rice thing
Old Dec 3, 2004, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wicked
i just got a cf oem hood off ebay for $36.00 :P can't go wrong there

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT
Some guy on this forum got one for a buck, with the $200 shipping of course. Not a bad deal since he says it fit perfectly. I think Evo owners get the CF hood just because they like the look and strength of carbon fiber as opposed to the stock. Remember, aluminum is nice and light but also not nearly as strong as cf, which is nearly indestructable. Could be increased cooling as well, look at the Gailla hood, that thing has vents all over it. I'd get one, I don't care how light my hood is, it just looks awesome.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

Mine is 2lbs lighter, but I got it for the bling factor and thats it
Old Dec 3, 2004, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

wow... gotta save up to get one of those! can you post pics of your CF hood on your evo for us to see? If it fits good, I'll probably bid on one.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Aluma
wow... gotta save up to get one of those! can you post pics of your CF hood on your evo for us to see? If it fits good, I'll probably bid on one.
no doubt..

getting the chargespeed bumper kit installed also, will post some pics when it'ts all done
Old Dec 3, 2004, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
to save twenty pounds is pretty substantial if its in the right place... but it also depends on what you're doing. you also have to get a dry carbon hood for the weight savings to be substantial. lots of wet carbon and fiberglass overlayed hoods are out there, which are basically worthless as far as weight savings are concerned. our stock hood is like... 17 pounds. a real dry carbon fiber hood is about 8 pounds... granted the difference is more substantial in a car like a supra or an rx7 that has a steel hood, but 8 pounds off the front end can't be a bad thing.
i agree here.. if you installed subs, dvd player and all these unnecessary weight then there is no real point of saving 10 or 20 lbs on a hood. now if your evo is what its suppose to be, a racer not a show car... 20 lbs high up like a hood can make the difference... if you take alittle off here and there, it can all add up.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Reduced weight and show looks!
Old Dec 3, 2004, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

A weight savings of 8 lbs = .04 HP. At $600 for a good CF hood. That means about you are spending about $1,350 to gain the equivalant to 1 HP. Now if your HP goal is 375 WHP and you spend as wisely for all of your other mods, you will have a $202,500 investment in modifications! Time for a second job.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=dcorn]I think Evo owners get the CF hood just because they like the look and strength of carbon fiber as opposed to the stock. Remember, aluminum is nice and light but also not nearly as strong as cf, which is nearly indestructable. QUOTE]

Your right about that but how often does the hood get damaged? Its not like your going to jump on it or anything like that. If you get in an accident any hood will break.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

actually it's not very indestructable. I work in repairing CF every day and the stuff is very susceptable to damage. I see big issues with leaving bare CF on an exposed surface. UV damage, impact damage (composite laminates are very easily delaminated on impacts) from rock chips.
but as always YMMV,

Greg