Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

why do people buy CF hoods?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2004, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg K
actually it's not very indestructable. I work in repairing CF every day and the stuff is very susceptable to damage. I see big issues with leaving bare CF on an exposed surface. UV damage, impact damage (composite laminates are very easily delaminated on impacts) from rock chips.
but as always YMMV,

Greg
This is SOO True, people think Carbon fibre is indestructible and it isn't. I would do it for the look, because the stock hood is pretty light compared to the hood on my eclipse.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say just for looks, well on an Evo of course!
Old Dec 3, 2004, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Wicked
i just got a cf oem hood off ebay for $36.00 :P can't go wrong there

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

Unless the seller f'd up, safe bet it's colored fiberglass. (weave dyed black b4 lay up).
Old Dec 3, 2004, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

because its hot to not paint them, yo.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 07:45 AM

Wow you go a good deal, figure they padded $50 into shipping, but still very good price if it fits well.

Originally Posted by Wicked
i just got a cf oem hood off ebay for $36.00 :P can't go wrong there

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT
Old Dec 3, 2004, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gestalt
A weight savings of 8 lbs = .04 HP. At $600 for a good CF hood. That means about you are spending about $1,350 to gain the equivalant to 1 HP. Now if your HP goal is 375 WHP and you spend as wisely for all of your other mods, you will have a $202,500 investment in modifications! Time for a second job.
im sorry to sound offensive but you are either a redneck or a ricer... i see you in the same category as the rest of the fast and furious crowd... who's talking about horsepower? we're talking about handling improvement..... a small weight loss itself is worth nothing, you add that to a list of weight saving parts and you can quickly save 100 lbs (and even some unsprung)... suddenly you brake abit better, turn alittle sharper and maybe even see an improvement in your lap time....
Old Dec 3, 2004, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone who says that any carbonfiber part was bought for any reason other than asthetics is lying. If the ENTIRE body of the car is carbon and the car is a RACE car and not a street ricer(racer, whatever) then maybe the weight savings was an issue but most of the stupid carbonfiber parts I see nowdays are just overlays and stick-ons anyway so weight was definitely not an issue.

In the beginning, carbonfiber was cool. Race cars had carbon parts so it trickled down to the street. Now carbonfiber is just every-freakin-where and it's a sure sign of the RICE infection.

Now, before most of you get your panties in a wad, Im not saying if you have a carbonfiber part then your a ricer, BUT if you have a lot of stupid stick-on carbonfiber parts that serve no purpose other than to "look" like you have carbonfiber crap then YES, you a re a ricer!

Examples: Carbon"look" anything-including wheels, Carbon fiber stick-on dash kits, carbonfiber scuffplates, carbonfiber overlays, I think you get the picture.

I mean damn, I saw a carbonfiber "look" cell phone the other day...WTF??
Old Dec 3, 2004, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mifesto
im sorry to sound offensive but you are either a redneck or a ricer... i see you in the same category as the rest of the fast and furious crowd... who's talking about horsepower? we're talking about handling improvement..... a small weight loss itself is worth nothing, you add that to a list of weight saving parts and you can quickly save 100 lbs (and even some unsprung)... suddenly you brake abit better, turn alittle sharper and maybe even see an improvement in your lap time....
Do you actually believe this drivel? You want to improve your laptime, learn to drive better...thinking you are doing anything "performance related" by purchasing carbonfiber parts is pure B.S. As in my previous post, if you build your entire car with Titanium, Magnesium and lightweight composite materials then maybe you have performance in mind. Slapping on a carbon hood and some APR splitters will net you ZERO performance gains...be it HP or shortened laptimes or whatever you want to call it.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Its mainly cosmetics, i personally think a CF hood looks good on the evo, especially with the CF wing to match. Also if you wanted Gunmetal or Black wheels, its a great color match to make. Just my opinion and im sure some would call it ricey. Thats about the only body modification i would ever make to an evo aside from the Do Luck lip. (Assuming i didn't have enough money for the APR Wide body)
Old Dec 3, 2004, 10:26 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lol. You do know the shipping is a flat rate $200? right?

God knows what quality it is.

You could make the CF hood lighter by taking the sub-frame out that's made from plastic or fiberglass inside.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evillusion
Do you actually believe this drivel? You want to improve your laptime, learn to drive better...thinking you are doing anything "performance related" by purchasing carbonfiber parts is pure B.S. As in my previous post, if you build your entire car with Titanium, Magnesium and lightweight composite materials then maybe you have performance in mind. Slapping on a carbon hood and some APR splitters will net you ZERO performance gains...be it HP or shortened laptimes or whatever you want to call it.
as i said in the post... minor weight saving part individually mean nothing, as a whole it means something... and yes driving school will increase lap time much more significantly then any mod, as they say its 80% driver 20% car.... but then again arent we modding our evo's for that reason? in hopes it improves our car?

to be honest more then just weight saving, i think balance is so important.... saving weight in the rear for an evo means little, as the car is already front heavy. saving weight in the front means alot as your evo will dive less in the corners and theres reduction of understeer.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

CF hoods wouldn't be so "rice" if peopel would paint the fricken things. Why do so many people insist it looks good. It looks like ***. if i wanted a two tone car, id paint the whole thing black and white.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

^haha true. I can't tell you why i like it, i just do i guess. But to paint a CF hood would kinda be like putting lipstick on to drink something IMO, 'cause they really aren't that much lighter and the costmetic thing would kinda be ruined. I dunno tho, maybe im just ranting on, But I see where your coming from ALOT of my friends would agree with you on the subject. I just don't know why i like, i just do.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

If you get the CF hood you have to get hood pins. Nothing makes a car look serious like a shiny set of pins. Then again you better have something equally nice under that hood.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

^Haha.