Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

why do people buy CF hoods?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2004, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why do people buy CF hoods?

I was at the shop and there was another Evo with a Kansai CF hood. I wanted to see how light it was compared to mine and it was about the same if not slightly heavier. 2 other guys lifted both hoods and agree that its not lighter than stock.. Maybe its the brand that made it a bit heavier compared to other CF hoods but for me its not worth the $$$. Even if it was lighter it cant be that much more. Have you lifted a CF hood before to see how much lighter it is? Maybe other brands are lighter? I guess its all about the bling
Old Dec 2, 2004, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can you say bling bling,how about all show and no go
Old Dec 2, 2004, 11:51 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe not on an Evo, but most cars have heavy steel hoods so the weight savings can be somewhat substantial ~20 pounds....Of course, most people slap em on for the look and just claim they do it for weight savings, but we all know exactly how much a twenty pound drop actually makes to performance...virtually nil.
Old Dec 2, 2004, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2GDSM
Maybe not on an Evo, but most cars have heavy steel hoods so the weight savings can be somewhat substantial ~20 pounds....Of course, most people slap em on for the look and just claim they do it for weight savings, but we all know exactly how much a twenty pound drop actually makes to performance...virtually nil.
couldn't have said it better myself
Old Dec 3, 2004, 12:16 AM
Evolved Member

I really hope that nobody comes into this thread and claims that 20 pounds does make a substantial difference to performance. Just to prempt what someone is undoubtably like to claim, it only really makes a difference for unsprung weight, i.e. wheels, tires, springs etc. 20 pounds of sprung weight has such a negligable difference on performance that i'd be suprised if anyone could actually attribute it to a statistical increase in performance at the track.
*edit*
Another reason for CF, I installed a fiber images hood on my spyder after a accident and had it painted to match the car...It was cheaper than an OEM +paint.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 12:32 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I can vouch for the Gialla c/f hood, my bud has one on his evo, also got it due to an accident he was in, that thing is so light it makes me nervous when the slightest gust of wind goes by while it's propped up. I haven't weighed both the Gialla and stocker so I don't know the actual weight differences, but they are considerable to me. But for the most part I am with you guys in thinking that most, with the evo at least, do it for looks. If I had a black evo I would slap a VIS hood on it, just think it would blend well, but I wouldn't try to pass it off as weight savings
Old Dec 3, 2004, 12:32 AM
Evolved Member

my votes for looks
Old Dec 3, 2004, 12:33 AM

It looks cool?
Old Dec 3, 2004, 12:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
to save twenty pounds is pretty substantial if its in the right place... but it also depends on what you're doing. you also have to get a dry carbon hood for the weight savings to be substantial. lots of wet carbon and fiberglass overlayed hoods are out there, which are basically worthless as far as weight savings are concerned. our stock hood is like... 17 pounds. a real dry carbon fiber hood is about 8 pounds... granted the difference is more substantial in a car like a supra or an rx7 that has a steel hood, but 8 pounds off the front end can't be a bad thing.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 12:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
but 8 pounds off the front end can't be a bad thing.
But for 800 bucks its not a cheap way to go 8 p ounds lighter. Unless of course your car is a full race car and every pound is critical. Or maybe if you have too much money and dont know where to spend it on
Old Dec 3, 2004, 01:23 AM
Evolving Member

^^ take out the front bumper support saves 15lbs. light weight battery saves at least 25lbs. better and smarter way to shed off weight on the front end.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 01:47 AM
SOF
Evolving Member

Change 5 things that save 20 lbs and you've suddenly saved 100 lbs.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 01:52 AM
Evolved Member

i like the idea of getting a cf hood just to be different , if i have the money to buy it ofcourse...
Old Dec 3, 2004, 02:00 AM
Evolved Member

i just got a cf oem hood off ebay for $36.00 :P can't go wrong there

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT
Old Dec 3, 2004, 02:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wicked
i just got a cf oem hood off ebay for $36.00 :P can't go wrong there

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT

the link doesnt work