Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Who would like to have a sunroof on thier EVO VIII?
No way! Expensive, adds 35lbs, and sacrafice ridigity. Evo is a race car. \"the principle\"
35.45%
Yes, I like sunroofs. Won\'t make that much performance gain. Not road racing anyways.
64.55%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Sunroof poll. awesome option or not?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2002, 07:08 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sunroof poll. awesome option or not?

Who want's a 35lbs sunroof! I'm going to be if my car comes with one.

Just want a popular vote. The evo performes and i feel since it's like a race car a sunroof is wrong. More weight and kills decrease the rigidity of the car.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Believe it or not I voted for a sunroof. I have no plans to use the car competitively, so the difference in weight and rigidity is not enough to be a concern. Ask me this question 3 years ago and my reply would have been different. I think I'm getting old or something.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 07:27 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awe man it's a coin toss! Truthfull if i wanted a sunroof i'd get one for a benz or bimmer but not an ultra performance car. Dont' you guys want a true rally car? Like to have a roof scoop though like the subaru sti type ra.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by gtr
Awe man it's a coin toss! Truthfull if i wanted a sunroof i'd get one for a benz or bimmer but not an ultra performance car. Dont' you guys want a true rally car? Like to have a roof scoop though like the subaru sti type ra.
True rally cars have rollcages in them and are seam welded. That is where most of the rigidity comes from, so on a road car I don't think it's a big deal........well unless you're going to be driving like Claudius.

Last edited by evo_dan; Dec 11, 2002 at 07:38 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

I want my car to have as much performance as possible. Being an option is not that big of deal, since I can get it without a sunroof, however I am concerned that they beefed up the roof on all the cars so they can put it in as an option, which would be part of the expected extra weight.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah but driving like that I don't think a cage or seam weld can help you!
Old Dec 11, 2002, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Old Dec 11, 2002, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

gtr, you don't have a poll option for those who want a convertible Lan Evo.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

I will probably get my evo with the sunroof. My evo isn't a race car. It has a back seat, ac, interior molding etc.... it is a road car, maybe a high performance one, but still a road car
Old Dec 11, 2002, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

i'd get the evo with a sunroof . . . i personally like them, im not much of a racer, so 35 lbs dont mean nothing to me . . . i just like to chill and cruise for the ladies . . .
Old Dec 11, 2002, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

I have to say I want a sunroof. I'll be going from a 300zx with T-tops to the evo, so I'd feel somewhat claustrophobic without some glass above me. I already feel claustrophobic in my dad's suburban because it doesn't have one. the 35 lbs isn't really gonna make that big of a difference either... its like people that shave thier rear windshield wiper ot save wieght. Its kinda pointless.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

I really wouldn't mind. But then again, I don't really see a sunroof as being needed for a daily use car. An A/C, probably. I have been in cars without sunroofs for most of my life and don't mind. In all, if I do get the Evo, i'm paying for a performance road car that I would take to the tracks sometimes. I don't need the sunroof. Maybe down the line when I get some luxury car like a lexus or something, THEN I will get it with all the options and have a pimpin' car.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

I'm all for the sunroof (though I actually think it technically classifies as a moonroof). If I was using this as a race car, then definitely not, but I'm willing to make some compromises seeing as this is a high-performance street car for me and I see no reason to nickel and dime the weight away for a road car. All depends on what your intended use is, really.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

both sides have pros and cons. you dont want one kus it is a high performance road car, but you want one to let the sun come in. hmmm......... i dont know what id do...id be happy juss being behind the wheel of one!!!!
Old Dec 11, 2002, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

I think the biggest reason I would want a sunroof on my Evo would be, to see if I could go fast enough, at night, to make the stars above look like they were shooting by like in Star Trek at warp 7.

Quick Reply: Sunroof poll. awesome option or not?