Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Are there any TEST PIPES that look like a real cat?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2004, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by illegalakkord
Are there any test pipes out there that look like catalytic converters?

I wanna use a test pipe to free up some power, but I know tickets are dumb expensive here in NY/NJ.

I'd rather not gut out my stock cat, plus I need a 3" pipe.

Also whats a good inexpensive 3" test pipe that I can get? (gonna mate it to a HKS downpipe and HKS Hi-Power exhaust)

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance guys!

Hey I have a hollow cat for sale. Looks like stock even Cali cop could not tell.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

How many inches is it?

and how much do you want for it?
Old Dec 5, 2004, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

How many inches is it?

and how much do you want for it?

Najeeb you got a PM
Old Dec 5, 2004, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a good question. Are there any other vendors aside from RRE? Or if anyone knows, someone in NC that will "overlook" my test pipe for an inspection? I'm well overdue on inspection and some help would be stellar. I just don't have the money to spend on a high flow cat right now either with the holidays coming up.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Has anyone acual had a cop say somthing about not having a cat? I have never heard of anything myself but do they cops acually check for them around where you are? I have been pulled over a few times and the cops have never commented about my aftermarket parts or anything.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

I haven't, but i HAVE had a cop give me a warning for an out of date inspection. I can't find anyone who will inspect for me!
Old Dec 5, 2004, 07:56 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yeh, they could smell it, they'll give you a ticket. just go straight pipe and try not to hide it. If the cop wants to give you a ticket, they'll give you a ticket.

Most of the time, they wont care. Then again, it really depends on where you live.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kwman
This is a good question. Are there any other vendors aside from RRE? Or if anyone knows, someone in NC that will "overlook" my test pipe for an inspection? I'm well overdue on inspection and some help would be stellar. I just don't have the money to spend on a high flow cat right now either with the holidays coming up.

Try to live in CA. its a $2K fine, impounded car and maybe jail
Old Dec 5, 2004, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

I use it only on trackdays.... Happy? Anyway how in any way shape or form would that incriminate them? There are thousands of parts bought and sold for cars that makes them illegal, yet you dont see lawsuits going aftermarket car part companies do you?

Scorke
Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scorke
I use it only on trackdays.... Happy? Anyway how in any way shape or form would that incriminate them? There are thousands of parts bought and sold for cars that makes them illegal, yet you dont see lawsuits going aftermarket car part companies do you?

Scorke
Who said anything about lawsuits? I'm talking about the EPA, buddy. There are federal mandates and the fine for a company that even WORKS on a car knowing they have no cat is 25 grand much less provides the part to them. The fine for a personal user is 2K to 2.5K. No one is going to sue them.

And all the thousands of other parts that make a car "illegal" do not have the same consequences as the cat. It is by far the worst and most serious offense by changing the cat. Just the way the law reads, buddy.

I could care less when you use a test pipe. I use one every day and kill birds as I drive down the street. So if you use one for only trackdays then more power to you. You still have a registered and inspected street car.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

take off your stock cat, cut the top of your cat on 3 sides as to let one side act as a hinge and open it like a door. hollow out your insides, then weld the top back down. easy and cheap.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

I have a Random Technology Hi-Flow Cat on my Evo...it flows at least as good as the exhaust, so it's not a restriction, and no stinkyness...I had to get it installed because my stock cat, uh...hit a rock...yeah, that's what happened...it got a big hole in it and had to be replaced...that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NOVA EVO
I have a Random Technology Hi-Flow Cat on my Evo...it flows at least as good as the exhaust, so it's not a restriction, and no stinkyness...I had to get it installed because my stock cat, uh...hit a rock...yeah, that's what happened...it got a big hole in it and had to be replaced...that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Must be a pretty big rock haaaaaaaa
Old Dec 6, 2004, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
but that has some of the honey comb stuff inside, i just want a straight pipe.
No it does not.

Mike W
Old Dec 6, 2004, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for all your input guys.

I'm going to be going with a 3" Ultimate Racing high-flow cat w/the insides gutted out.

Quick Reply: Are there any TEST PIPES that look like a real cat?