Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car stalling..

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2004, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car stalling..

My car is stalling when Im driving and pushing in the clutch.It idles down real low and dies.It just started doing it.It drops down to like 400rpms and dies.Not all the time but its doing it enough where its pissing me off now.BOV???Any ideas??
Old Dec 5, 2004, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

yeah it same happend with my evo.. its not bov. it caused by throttle position senor. so. i replaced those after that never had those stalling ever again.. it works for me. maybe you should try that. but its a bit costly.. by the way i was wondering how many miles on it when it started happend? mine 9k miles.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 01:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Before you go too crazy

1) Reset the ECU (remove the power line from the battery and let the car sit)
2) check your vacuum lines, especially the one to the blowoff valve, if one of those lines came off the car will idle terribly and stall..
3)check the intercooler hoses and DV connections to be certain its not leaking or something didn't come loose.
4) Check your intake pipe, MAF sensor, and Wiring

Its probably not the TPS sensor, if it is it might throw a code, but you can check it to be certain just in case.

What exactly were you doing just before this happened?
Old Dec 5, 2004, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

wow ... my car just started to have this stalling and idle low problem 3 days ago, it will stall when i press on the clutch and either making a right or left turn, anyone have any idea why? this just happen all of sudden.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

do you guys have the MR Bov?

While other poster's say its not the BOV. I think the BOV has abig thing to do with it. MR stalled my car like crazy. I got the APS valve and ive stalled once with it. I stalled on a theory of mine, so i dont know i can accredit it as a stall.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Greddy Type S.... is what i m using...
Old Dec 5, 2004, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4Gsixty3
Greddy Type S.... is what i m using...
are you venting to atmosphere with it? my friend put one on his evo this weekend and was VTA and his car stalled like crazy, he changed it to recirc and has yet to have a problem
Old Dec 5, 2004, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mattfl
are you venting to atmosphere with it? my friend put one on his evo this weekend and was VTA and his car stalled like crazy, he changed it to recirc and has yet to have a problem
it does not matter to me cuz i m using the AEM EMS,( NO MAF) so dont think the bov is the culprit. arrgghh.... headache.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Before you go too crazy

1) Reset the ECU (remove the power line from the battery and let the car sit)
2) check your vacuum lines, especially the one to the blowoff valve, if one of those lines came off the car will idle terribly and stall..
3)check the intercooler hoses and DV connections to be certain its not leaking or something didn't come loose.
4) Check your intake pipe, MAF sensor, and Wiring

Its probably not the TPS sensor, if it is it might throw a code, but you can check it to be certain just in case.

What exactly were you doing just before this happened?
It started doing after I had it tuned but it never stalled before.It just started stalling all of a sudden.Ill be driving and come up to a light and push in the clutch and it will fall really low and sometimes stall.Lastnite it stalled,started it,stalled again like 3 times while I was sitting there.Its just getting worse now.My car only has a little over 8K on it and has never done this before.I want to try and fix this because if I take it to the dealer they are gonna say...NO WARRANTY FOR YOU..so Im trying to avoid that.I will check all my lines tomorrow when it gets light out again and hopefully figure it out.The car idles ok.The idle jumps up on it for no reason some times but most of the time it idles fine.Its just when Im driving and I go to stop.Soon as that clutch goes in it falls to like 400 rpms.Thanks for your help guys and keep the info coming.Oh yeah,Im still using the stock BOV.And I broke mine so its my friends stock BOV with alot more miles on it.Probably at least 20K.

Last edited by EVO32570; Dec 5, 2004 at 02:34 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 02:32 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what do you call that thing that clicks when you push the clutch pedal in? I think that's doing it.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

yeah keep the info coming... anyone know what is happening to our car lately?
Old Dec 5, 2004, 02:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EVO32570
It started doing after I had it tuned but it never stalled before.It just started stalling all of a sudden.Ill be driving and come up to a light and push in the clutch and it will fall really low and sometimes stall.Lastnite it stalled,started it,stalled again like 3 times while I was sitting there.Its just getting worse now.My car only has a little over 8K on it and has never done this before.I want to try and fix this because if I take it to the dealer they are gonna say...NO WARRANTY FOR YOU..so Im trying to avoid that.I will check all my lines tomorrow when it gets light out again and hopefully figure it out.The car idles ok.The idle jumps up on it for no reason some times but most of the time it idles fine.Its just when Im driving and I go to stop.Soon as that clutch goes in it falls to like 400 rpms.Thanks for your help guys and keep the info coming.Oh yeah,Im still using the stock BOV.And I broke mine so its my friends stock BOV with alot more miles on it.Probably at least 20K.
Well, it could be the vacuum line or clamps to the stock BOV.. it could be leaking (actually what your describing sounds like a leak) Another thought is its possible the DV/BOV is installed backwards, though I don't know how that would affect your idle...

My car would periodically stall because of my intake pipe, it only would happen if I accelerated (loaded up the engine slightly) and then clutch in before moving too far..

Does it only happen when you build a little boost and clutch in, or every time you clutch in to come to a stop? Does it Idle OK if your standing still?
Old Dec 5, 2004, 02:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 4Gsixty3
wow ... my car just started to have this stalling and idle low problem 3 days ago, it will stall when i press on the clutch and either making a right or left turn, anyone have any idea why? this just happen all of sudden.
If you mentioned you have an EMS, have you had it retuned for cold-start yet? this is one of the cold-start issues that you get with an EMS in colder weather (After its tuned for warm weather it needs to have this stuff readjusted when the weather is cold enough to set a cold idle and enrichment) due to the much colder intake air temps..
Old Dec 5, 2004, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

Just when I come to a stop and put the clutch in.Idles fine while standing still but sometimes it surges up for no reason to about 1200 and drops back down.I dont think the bov is installed wrong because its been in the same way for a while and Ive never had problems.Im gonna check all the lines tomorrow.I gotta go to work right now but Ill check this when I get home and let you know tomorrow.Thanks MalibuJack.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 02:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Oh wait.. here's a thought.. Have you gotten a notice about the fan controller recall? and is it the first time your really driving the car since the weather got colder? Its possible the ECU needs to be reset, or the fan controller may affect the Idle control due to load on the electrical system..