Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

changing springs affects your ride & handling worse?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2004, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
changing springs affects your ride & handling worse?

Is it true that if you changed springs on your Evo the car will not handle and ride as good as stock? Someone told me because the Evo's shocks are tuned for the springs that came with the Evo only so once you lower it then the shocks wont perform as good.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 08:35 AM

it is true. i had Tanabe springs put in. its not as sharp as before now. the stance sure looks good tho without the fender gap.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by totaleuge
it is true. i had Tanabe springs put in. its not as sharp as before now. the stance sure looks good tho without the fender gap.
coilovers it is then
Old Dec 6, 2004, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i heard eibach's don't ruin the handling as much as most other springs. incidently, they don't lower the stance as much, either. i'd rather not have to deal with all the hassles of correctly tuning a full coil-over setup and just go with springs where all you need is a correct alignment.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

I'm a little confused by your statement. When you install coilovers you can get away with just an alignment also. You set the stance of the car, align it and your on your way. Sure, you can corner balance the car, but that's not necessary.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Whoosh
you can get away with just an alignment

well, that's just it, you're simply getting away with something. putting on soil overs without a proper dial-in could cause your car to have much worse handling. but that's just me, with that much money invested in suspension on this car, i'd hope that it would handle better, as well as look better.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 09:57 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
any car will be like this when you lower the car with stock shocks, since they're calibrated from manufacturer with stock springs.

There is only about inch or inch and a half allowance that stock shocks could take until the shocks fail.

I would never go with eibach springs, they sag more than an inch over 6 month + time.

Hochkis or H - Tech will be alright. then again, best way is to get something like TEin RA coilovers.

blah blah blah
Old Dec 6, 2004, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Just installed my Tanabe Grip springs on my ride. Total time took 1 hour, 15 minutes. They went right in. The ride feels better than stock. It's tight but doesnt have that bounce that the stock springs had. It takes a few days for the springs to settle. The drop is 1.5 in the front. ! in the back. It sits perfect. Not to low. I have seen alot of Evo's with the rear lower than the front. The Tanabe springs are stiffer than the Tein. Which most people dont even know the tein's are offered in two spring rates. Soft and Med. Go for Tanabe...You wont be sorry! If you are in Orlando, Racing Zone has the hook up. $150.00

Last edited by DRFTKNGG; Dec 6, 2004 at 06:39 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DRFTKNGG
Just installed my Tanabe Grip springs on my ride. Total time took 1 hour, 15 minutes. They went right in. The ride feels better than stock. It's tight but doesnt have that bounce that the stock springs had. It takes a few days for the springs to settle. The drop is 1.5 in the front. ! in the back. It sits perfect. Not to low. I have seen alot of Evo's with the rear lower than the front. The Tanabe springs are stiffer than the Tein. Which most people dont even know the tein's are offered in two spring rates. Soft and Med. Go for Tanabe...You wont be sorry! If you are in Orlando, Racing Zone has the hook up. $150.00

i'm about o order some for xmas, the gf210's....i've seen them as low as 175, where can i get them for 150???

i kno some perf is sacraficed, but the 1.5 front and 1 in back drop makes teh car soo sexy !
Old Dec 6, 2004, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

FWIW, I have Tein (read: cheap) lowering springs on my car. At the road course, the springs do make a positive difference, with no other changes to the suspension at all. I couldn't notice much of a difference compared to stock because I never pushed the stock suspension as hard on the street as I did on the road course, but my instructor did notice the difference. I was lucky enough to have an instructor that races his own evo competitively, and if he says they work better than stock, I beieve him.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
interesting. i've only ever heard negative things about lowering springs on any stock car.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

RRE recommends the eibach pro kit, claiming it the "best bang for your buck" when it comes to suspension.. but then again, what would they know about suspension setups?
Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:37 PM
Account Disabled

Springs were the WORST thing I did to my car, now I went back to stock...
Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

I just put my Teins on and I think it made a world of difference. It looks alot better also. Its a little bumpy over rough interstate, but I can live with that, hell it's not like it's a Bentley.
Old Dec 6, 2004, 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rebelzx
FWIW, I have Tein (read: cheap) lowering springs on my car. At the road course, the springs do make a positive difference, with no other changes to the suspension at all. I couldn't notice much of a difference compared to stock because I never pushed the stock suspension as hard on the street as I did on the road course, but my instructor did notice the difference. I was lucky enough to have an instructor that races his own evo competitively, and if he says they work better than stock, I beieve him.
Do you have the S tech or H tech ones? Did your instructor drive your car or were you the one driving?

Quick Reply: changing springs affects your ride & handling worse?